Gibson Brands Forums

1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe?

starfoxhound

Hi!

I'm selling a 2007 Gibson LP DC for $1500 USD, and a buyer offered me a 1973 Gibson LP Deluxe in exchange for my guitar.

I'm adding some pics so you can see the guitar he's offering.

It's refinished, and everything original except for knobs which are new.

Serial number is 108875, so it's around 70-75, but pots are dated 73, so I think it must be '73-'74, right?

A good deal?

Would I be able to sell it for tthe same $1500 USD?

Original case too.

No pickguard.

pala2closecopia.th.jpg

deluxecase1copia.th.gif

dsc0683copia.th.jpg

body1copia.th.jpg

108875copia.th.jpg

It would be a GREAT deal if it hadn't been refinished, but it has, so......

I really can't tell much from the photos, but assuming it is in "good" condition, no breaks or repairs, original pickups, etc, it's an "alright" deal. Dollar for dollar he'd be coming out a bit ahead. A refininshed Les Paul Deluxe would probably not bring $1500 on the open market, but maybe something close.

Some of the guitars from this era were great players, although none will ever be considered "vintage" or "collectable".

Some of the guitars from this era were great players' date=' although none will ever be considered "vintage" or "collectable".[/quote']

By definition they are vintage. Whether they or collectible or not is another matter, and nobody knows what will become collectible in the future for certain. As you point out they made some great playing guitars in that era, so while they may not be the most sought after guitars at present who knows what will become desirable in the future? Great PLAYING guitars are always sought after by musicians. I would never have expected 1970's Fenders to command the high prices they do now. The quality control in the 1970's was shocking, but people are paying a lot of money for those guitars now for some reason.

It would be a GREAT deal if it hadn't been refinished' date=' but it has, so......

I really can't tell much from the photos, but assuming it is in "good" condition, no breaks or repairs, original pickups, etc, it's an "alright" deal. Dollar for dollar he'd be coming out a bit ahead. A refininshed Les Paul Deluxe would probably not bring $1500 on the open market, but maybe something close.

Some of the guitars from this era were great players, although none will ever be considered "vintage" or "collectable".[/quote']

Thanks! I'll consider this to make a decision.

I can see some of this guitars on eBay that sell for $1400 to $3500. What's the real difference between these models? Hope you can tell me.

Thanks!

By definition they are vintage. Whether they or collectible or not is another matter' date=' and nobody knows what will become collectible in the future for certain. As you point out they made some great playing guitars in that era, so while they may not be the most sought after guitars at present who knows what will become desirable in the future? Great PLAYING guitars are always sought after by musicians. I would never have expected 1970's Fenders to command the high prices they do now. The quality control in the 1970's was shocking, but people are paying a lot of money for those guitars now for some reason.

[/quote']

Yeah, that's true, some of those Fenders are high-priced guitar and for what I've tried (not heard) these guitars have a horrible construction (mainly those with 3-screw neck joint). I've always been a Gibson fan, and now that I'm getting to know the 70's era Gibson I've become a bigger fan.

Maybe I'll own some 60's or even 50's LP (I really hope some day I have one) and then I'll get some more love for Gibsons.

Thanks!

LP Deluxe, even with original finish, and in great condition are not all that "collectible" (Yet, anyway).

They can be Great guitars, however...if you like Mini-humbuckers. I own a '76, and it's always been

a really good guitar, both in tone and playability. They are quite heavy, though...it's the heaviest guitar

I own, save my '80 LP Custom. So, that may or may not, be a factor.

Are those his, or your photos, of the guitar? IF they are his photos, and you haven't played that guitar

yet, you may want to play his first, before making any decision. Unlike me, not everyone likes "mini's,"

and/or the weight!

Is your Double cut, a "Standard," or Special? Why are you selling IT? Just curious....

CB

LP Deluxe' date=' even with original finish, and in great condition are not all that "collectible" (Yet, anyway).

They can be Great guitars, however...if you like Mini-humbuckers. I own a '76, and it's always been

a really good guitar, both in tone and playability. They are quite heavy, though...it's the heaviest guitar

I own, save my '80 LP Custom. So, that may or may not, be a factor. IF you can(?), try to play his

first, before making any decision. Unlike me, not everyone likes "mini's," and/or the weight!

CB[/quote']

Nice info, thanks!

How about the estimated weight? Can you tell me an estimated how much should it weight? Mini Humb, do they sound like P90's or closer to humbuckers to you? I've never owned a guitar with MiniHumb, and the seller lives far away from me to try the guitar, still I think I can ask him for a video to see everything is OK.

Thanks!

My LP Deluxe is well over 10 lbs. Sorry, I don't have a scale (working) near me, at the moment.

But, it's Heavy!! However, a good wide Neoprene (Bass) strap, off-sets the weight, nicely.

Mini-humbuckers, are very like full-sized humbuckers, except they have a bit more treble/"Bite"

and mid-range, to them. They're really great, in the neck position, especially...where a full-sized

humbucker can (often) be a bit "muddy" in tone. Old LP Deluxe guitars, often need their pickups

wax-potted, as they often go "micro-phonic," with a high pitched, squealing feed-back. I had mine

done, a couple of years ago, as it's pickups had done that (after 30+ years), and was "unplayable"

otherwise. Now, however....it sounds even better than it did, new! It's inexpensive, to have done, too.

Cheers,

CB

My LP Deluxe is well over 10 lbs. Sorry' date=' I don't have a scale (working) near me, at the moment.

But, it's Heavy!! However, a good wide Neoprene (Bass) strap, off-sets the weight, nicely.

Mini-humbuckers, are very like full-sized humbuckers, except they have a bit more treble/"Bite"

and mid-range, to them. They're really great, in the neck position, especially...where a full-sized

humbucker can (often) be a bit "muddy" in tone. Old LP Deluxe guitars, often need their pickups

wax-potted, as they often go "micro-phonic," with a high pitched, squealing feed-back. I had mine

done, a couple of years ago, as it's pickups had done that (after 30+ years), and was "unplayable"

otherwise. Now, however....it sounds even better than it did, new! It's inexpensive, to have done, too.

Cheers,

CB [/quote']

Again, great info! It's good to hear some review of the guitars from someone who really plays them, I'm not either a pro-player or collector, but I love guitars.

I'll try to get the weight from the buyer and it should be around 4.5 - 5kg (I'm from Mexico, so I measure in kilos).

Thanks again!

LP Deluxe' date=' even with original finish, and in great condition are not all that "collectible" (Yet, anyway).

I own, save my '80 LP Custom. So, that may or may not, be a factor.

[/quote']

My LP deluxe is a 1975 goldtop. It is a great guitar and I also really like the minihumbuckers a lot. It often gets chosen for studio and live work over my more recent LP standard. I've not had to have my pickups wax-potted yet. Did your pickups suddenly go microphonic at some point, or did you notice a gradual change? Mine's heavy too, but I've never weighed it, but I think it will be under 10 lbs.

By definition they are vintage.

I think you are confusing the implied definition of the word "vintage", and it's misuse, with the actual definition.

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary defines "vintage" used as an adjective as: "of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality".

A '73 LP Deluxe meets none of these requirements.

Age alone does not define "vintage", age alone does define "antique". Antique and vintage means two completely different things. "antique" is mearly a description of age, anything, once a certain age, is antique. To be "vintage" the above criteria must be met. Without the "recognized enduring interest (demand), importance (someone famous played it, or it was of innovative original design or construction), or quality (Norlin era Gibson were NOT noted for their "quality"), it's just a used guitar.

My LP deluxe is a 1975 goldtop. It is a great guitar and I also really like the minihumbuckers a lot. It often gets chosen for studio and live work over my more recent LP standard. I've not had to have my pickups wax-potted yet. Did your pickups suddenly go microphonic at some point' date=' or did you notice a gradual change? Mine's heavy too, but I've never weighed it, but I think it will be under 10 lbs.[/quote']

Yeah, KL...It was (somewhat) "gradual," but got to be "unplayable" due to the feed-back, pretty soon, once is started.

No big deal, to get them wax potted, though.

CB

I'm selling a 2007 Gibson LP DC for $1500 USD' date='

and a buyer offered me a 1973 Gibson LP Deluxe in exchange for my guitar.

It's refinished...

A good deal?

Would I be able to sell it for tthe same $1500 USD?[/quote']

The Deluxe would easily be worth $1,500 if it was original.

If it's clean, well-done, and has no damage history, it may be still.

What scares me is, WHY was it refinished?

Would it be to conceal repairs to the headstock or neck joint?

Why is the guy so eager to trade instead of selling it outright? Maybe it's not moving for some reason...

And the paint is not done as they were finished originally, so you'll be told by EVERYBODY it's not original.

Too many variables, too many unknowns.

I would have to hear the story behind it and see some VERY detailed pics before I agreed to a trade.

Cool guitars, but not something to get screwed for.

I think you are confusing the implied definition of the word "vintage"' date=' and it's misuse, with the actual definition.

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary defines "vintage" used as an adjective as: "of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality".

A '73 LP Deluxe meets none of these requirements.

Age alone does not define "vintage", age alone does define "antique". Antique and vintage means two completely different things. "antique" is mearly a description of age, anything, once a certain age, is antique. To be "vintage" the above criteria must be met. Without the "recognized enduring interest (demand), importance (someone famous played it, or it was of innovative original design or construction), or quality (Norlin era Gibson were NOT noted for their "quality"), it's just a used guitar.[/quote']

You're going up stream against the usage. There's a lot of people, websites and media out there that use the term vintage in just the way you're railing against. [cool]

starfoxhound -

Was it refinished are repainted? It looks like possibly some black is bleeding through the finish up by the neck pup.

BTW, love the minis.

You're going up stream against the usage. There's a lot of people' date=' websites and media out there that use the term vintage in just the way you're railing against. [cool']

starfoxhound -

Was it refinished are repainted? It looks like possibly some black is bleeding through the finish up by the neck pup.

BTW, love the minis.

That's something I can see too but I haven't talked to buyer about that, he hasn't got online. For what he told me, it was refinished in the US, but not sure if it was painted too. I'll ask him and I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Archived