Gibson Brands Forums

SG weight question

devilrouser

Can one SG vary in weight from another?

Here's my problem.

I bouth a 2006 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red on eBay.

Then bought the same model SG Standard Cherry red (but 2009) at Guitar Center.

The 2009 model weighs almost a pound more.

The guy on eBay said he only changed to Seymour Duncan pups, and as to the his guitar being lighter (he just said "Gibson made it that way")

I thought that Gibson had a standard for each guitar made and the weight could not vary from one guitar of same model to another.

but I'm thinking he either hollowed out part of that guitar, or it's a fake.

Any body have knowhow on this?

Thanks!

Then bought .... at Guitar Center.

The only problem I see is that you bought a guitar from Guitar Center....

:-)

Weight varies by wood density, and Mahogany can vary substantially.

I can see where you could easily find a pound's worth of difference between them.

There's really no place to remove additional wood from an SG since the body is a slab - like a Fender Strat.

It's even more pronounced in Les Pauls since they contain a lot more wood.

Then they start drilling, relieving and chambering the bodies on some of them.

I've seen Les Pauls range from 7 to 14 pounds while they look the same on the outside.

Every sg varies in weight but there shouldn't really be that much of a difference. Just because there is a weight difference doesn't mean it's fake bru :-) you can also check on google for ways to find out if your sg is real or not, also ask some people on the forum to weigh their guitar so you can compare the difference from theirs to yours. Anyway, your guitar is probably real for the most part. if the characteristics between the two are the same you should be fine, e.g. the 'g' in the gibson logo is the location as your 2009 you should be safe. SG's can't be hollowed, like neoconman said the density of the wood changes.

Remember that gibson tends to change small things on their guitars without prior notice to their customers.

Keep rockin'! kevoT

You're fine. Just the other day I picked up a [sweet] vintage SG Custom that must have weighed 3-4 pounds more than my SG. I have no idea why. It was a late '60s Custom with 2 pickups.

There is plenty of variance in weight. My guess is that you have one that's a little lighter than average and one that's a little heavier than average.

You could take wood out from under the pickguard. People do this to put in a third pickup. I really doubt anyone did that.

Hey thanks to all your replies regarding different weights.

You guys make perfect sense and I'm feeling better about my eBay SG now.

The only thing is I don't like is the sound of the Seymour Duncans,

They just don't have the same crunch, and the sound is much thinner.

Sorry to change the subjet, maybe I should start a new post... and I will.

The only thing is I don't like is the sound of the Seymour Duncans' date='

They just don't have the same crunch, and the sound is much thinner.[/quote']

Just curious, why did you buy an SG with Seymour Duncan pups?

You may be figuring out that hot pickups and high outputs aren't really where it's at for "good tone" and such.

Aftermarket companies are notorious for their pickups being much hotter than you bargained for.

When I hear somebody say "thin" I automatically figure they have too high of outputs.

People hear things like warm/vintage/classic to decribe pickups and it doesn't sound like they will ROCK!

Au contraire...

Those weaker, lower output pickups are often what people are looking for because of the "crunch" they offer.

You can find a perfect tone upon which you can build your own sound with lots of versatility.

And if a little more output is needed, boost it with a good pedal or use gain on the amp.

Archived