Gibson Brands Forums

it's time to go small...diddy guitar advice?

Jinder

How about one of these' date=' Gibson Chet Atkins SST:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330418263840&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=d47895a81260a0268124abd4ff9406ea&itemid=330418263840&ff4=263602_263622

Apparantly Epiphone makes a similar less expensive model too.....[/quote']

Jinder, I used to have an Epi SST studio but sold it when I got my SWD.

It's a "solid" body acoustic - the body is chambered. Has the Epi nano thingy pickup system but I did have Robbie replace the piezo on mine because it was faulty (low volume on the bass side I recall).

It's not one for sitting around and strumming but could be an answer for stage work. I used it twice for gigs and was mightily impressed. It reasonably light, very comfortable and produces a great sound with light years of sustain. Obviously, the sound is produced electronically but with a good amp you're sorted.

Robbie uses his Gibson Chet Atkins for his solo/duet acoustic work. You should really have a word with him about his setup as I haven't paid enough attention to comment. He has a couple or three Chets and Epi SSTs around his studio. He may have one he is willing to part with too.

Anyway, the solid body acoustic is a route should not discount for live work without having a go. And if the budget is stretched the Epi is ridiculous value and a seriously great guitar i.e. might allow you to keep the Bird. I sold mine virtually brand new, upgraded pickup with a nice Epi hard case for about £140.

Jinder' date=' I used to have an Epi SST studio but sold it when I got my SWD.

It's a "solid" body acoustic - the body is chambered. Has the Epi nano thingy pickup system but I did have Robbie replace the piezo on mine because it was faulty (low volume on the bass side I recall).

It's not one for sitting around and strumming but could be an answer for stage work. I used it twice for gigs and was mightily impressed. It reasonably light, very comfortable and produces a great sound with light years of sustain. Obviously, the sound is produced electronically but with a good amp you're sorted.

Robbie uses his Gibson Chet Atkins for his solo/duet acoustic work. You should really have a word with him about his setup as I haven't paid enough attention to comment. He has a couple or three Chets and Epi SSTs around his studio. He may have one he is willing to part with too.

Anyway, the solid body acoustic is a route should not discount for live work without having a go. And if the budget is stretched the Epi is ridi****us value and a seriously great guitar i.e. might allow you to keep the Bird. I sold mine virtually brand new, upgraded pickup with a nice Epi hard case for about £140.[/quote']

i've been considering the epi sst as well. i saw robin zander from cheap trick use a chet atkins gibby recently and the tone reproduction was fine. i hate that sound a guitar like this can make - like snapping a rubber band off cardboard but this one wasn't snappy at all. the gibby sells for about $1000 used and the epi new is $450.

gibby - some effects

i saw a clip of him in '89 playing a j-180 but the acoustic part was done on keyboard. lol.

epi sst- playing starts at 1:00

I dunno...

I think I'd be more in the "playing position and style of right hand work" school of thought.

In martial arts, for example, I've seen shoulder damage due to people lifting and hunching their shoulders during hand and arm techniques that certainly add stress. Granted, that's a more violent body movement than picking, but you're gonna pick a lot more than throw practice punches. I could easily see how pretty heavy strumming technique, especially, might adversely affect a lotta stuff on the upper torso and arm, depending on how the arm is held over a period of time.

If you're lifting and hunching a bit rather than relaxing everything and resting the right arm rather than constantly lifting it as you'd never think of lifting weights, yeah, I can see easy potential damage.

But if you're fingerpickin' and resting the arm - not putting and then constantly pulling on it with various muscles, yeah, I can see a probable answer.

Just some thoughts.

m

Thanks Suburude ...I should have included a link....

Jinder this will be the best money you have ever spent. Buying a smaller guitar is a great idea and you should do it' date=' but, there is a fair chance that you are only be postponing the longer term problems. Western medicine just doesn't deal with these types of physical problems well. If there is something to cut off or medicate they do well, but this is preventative maintenance.

You need to take the responsibility ...this is your body. Don't listen to a doctor who says there is nothing to be done except live with it and take pain pills or to operate!

That book will show you how to do self massage. Using a tennis ball against a wall and other simple low cost methods. Then you need to learn the anatomy. You can feel where things hurt. What makes it feel better. The shoulder is the most complicated joint in your body. The Glenoid Fossa (which is the socket) that the top of the humorous fits into (which is the ball---thus it is a ball and socket joint) is a very shallow cup making the shoulder [b']the[/b] most unstable joint in your body. What holds the joint together is muscles. There are 4 muscles that combine to be called the rotator cuff. If one of those muscles is either contracted because of trigger points or is too weak from mis-use then that ball and socket joint will be pulled out of alignment.

Then there are more muscles that support the rotator cuff muscles. You will have to learn how all this works. figure out where yours is having problems then through self massage, stretching and evaluating what is working ...can you get through this.

Some examples that have really helped me.

472.jpg

here is a link to the page: infraspinatus discussion

483.jpg

supraspinatus discussion

532.jpg

subscapularis discussion

A couple great stretches

Subscapularis stretch : subscapularis_stretch_front.jpg

Infraspinatus stretch : posterior_shoulder_stretch2.jpg

stretch for both Infraspinatus and supraspinatus : supraspinatus_stretch2.jpg

Links to stretching webpages:

http://www.teachpe.com/stretching/shoulder_stretching_exercises.php

http://www.floota.com/SubscapularisStretch1.html

J, I'm short so I really have to reach up to get my right arm around my SJ200. Shoulder bothered me for awhile when I first got it, coming off an LG1. Finally settled down, but then I don't play nearly as much as you. You might have a small rotator cuff tear. Consider a small body to give your shoulder a chance to get better on its own. You might only need a year off. Put your SJ in storage so you're not tempted. Stretching is important - but so is some type of light weight lifting or resistance training to build up the muscles. G'luck. This may open a new door for you musically.

Jinder' date=' I used to have an Epi SST studio but sold it when I got my SWD.

Anyway, the solid body acoustic is a route should not discount for live work without having a go. And if the budget is stretched the Epi is ridi****us value and a seriously great guitar i.e. might allow you to keep the Bird. I sold mine virtually brand new, upgraded pickup with a nice Epi hard case for about £140.[/quote']

One if the nicest guitars I ever had a a Washburn Chet Atkins copy ( Nylon strung) never seen one before ot since

Archived