Gibson Brands Forums

Loose Volume and Tone knobs

bobrollar

Is there a quick fix to making the knobs on my SG not so loose. They are not going to fall off or anything but they just feel like I can tighten them up and get them back to what they were when I got her (yes I call my guitar a her) new.

sgtoneknob.jpg

Thanks everyone!

put a very small piece of masking tape around the shaft. Then push the knobs on. The tape will add some girth and make the knobs tight. You'll never know the tape is there either, and it can be removed so easily if you want to. Another method along the same lines that I have done on an amp is to put shrink wrap around the shaft, then put the heat to it. It will shrink up and form around the shaft neatly and then it will make the knobs tighter as well. This works better than the masking tape, but you probably already have tape at hand. Try it before you do any prying.

This way you do not have to go prying on stuff that can break.

Ironlung40

Well.....

It can be tricky.

You have to pry up directly in line with the shaft.

Forcing it to the side even slightly can bend the pot shaft or break the knob.

Protect the wood below - or pickguard - with something solid.

If you have nothing to pry the shaft tip open slightly, a small piece of electrical tape over the tip works.

Even teflon tape.

Lay a SMALL piece across the end of the shaft and force the knob on by hand.

Electrical tape is thick enough, it may not allow the knob to slide down as far as before.

But it'll get ya by until a proper repair or new knob is possible.

Well.....

It can be tricky.

If you have nothing to pry the shaft tip open slightly' date=' a small piece of electrical tape over the tip works.

Even teflon tape.

Lay a SMALL piece across the end of the shaft and force the knob on by hand.

Electrical tape is thick enough, it may not allow the knob to slide down as far as before.

But it'll get ya by until a proper repair or new knob is possible.

[/quote']

This is the same method I'm talking about above, so there is 2 people saying to try this.

Give it a shot, man. [biggrin]

Archived