Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitars (Beware - Lots of Photos)

bkharmony

So, as we talked about in another thread, there's been a dearth of new guitars being shared. I haven't bought any Gibsons lately, but I'm gonna share my three latest additions anyway.

After taking my Taylor 855 to a couple of bar gigs and having some close calls, I've been trying to find a decent little 12 string that sounds alright, but I don't have to worry about wrecking. That led me to this lil' Fender (don't hate}), which I've also seen badged as a Takamine.

FenderJG12CE_1sm.jpg

FenderJG12CE_2sm.jpg

And speaking of the quest for a 12-string, I saw this for sale on another forum and couldn't resist. I play in a Celtic band, and I thought this would just look too cool. Sadly, it was damaged during shipping, and I haven't been able to play it. Still waiting for a settlement from USPS.

It's a 1970 Giannini CraViola. Built in Brazil by an Italian luthier. From what I've read, he was trying to create a sound somewhere between a harpsichord and a viola caipira which is a 10-string folk guitar. But it pretty much just sounds like a small-bodied 12-string guitar. It's got laminated Brazilian rosewood back/sides. The neck is super chunky, but it's still a really neat guitar. This is what Jimmy Page played "Stairway to Heaven" on.

I don't know what's going to happen with it after USPS passes judgment (I've never had to file a damage claim before), but if it's junked, I'll get another one.

http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2009/11/giannini-craviola-12-string.html

BKH_Craviola07sm.jpg

BKH_Craviola03sm.jpg

BKH_Craviola02sm.jpg

And my big purchase this year was this, a 2008 Goodall Standard with Sitka top and Bubinga back/sides. It's everything Goodall people claim - amazing playability, crazy sustain, ridiculous overtones, and amazingly responsive. It's just beyond superlatives. The only guitar I have that's close is my Custom Shop J-45. Now I really just want another one to gig with, because I can't stand to play anything else.

BKHGoodall04sm.jpg

BKH_BuS5420_05sm.jpg

BKH_BuS5420_01sm.jpg

BKH_BuS5420_06sm.jpg

GoodallBubingaStandard-PegheadFront.jpg

BKHGoodalliPhone_04.jpg

Cheers!

Wow! That viola one is in good shape (other than the damage). What was damaged on it? And what a shame. You must have been pretty darned upset to discover that. The Goodall is beautiful, especially the headstock and tuner buttons.

That's a nice little 11 string. [biggrin]

Great photos.

It seems I've seen you mention the Giannini CraViola before, with pic. Too bad about the damage.

I haven't seen the Goodall. Mmmm... tasty. Love the bubinga and wood binding. Really nice gem you've got there.

Wow! That viola one is in good shape (other than the damage). What was damaged on it? And what a shame. You must have been pretty darned upset to discover that.

One of the braces split' date=' which kind of collapsed the soundboard and pulled the pickguard off. [biggrin Yeah, I was pretty upset. I had my pickup all picked out and was looking forward to debuting it at a show.

That's a nice little 11 string. [biggrin]

Heh. Yeah, I like removing that high E, so I can still wrap my thumb around and mute the E course for when I play A, F, D, etc. open chords. Otherwise I find I can only mute the lowest E, and the higher one rings free, muddying the chords.

Wow, the CraViola is a gorgeous piece of workmanship. Stunning. Sorry it was damaged.

The Fender has a nice looking top. I've played a few of their recent acoustics and liked them just fine. Is there a corporate relationship between Fender and Takamine that one model would be badged with both brands?

Red 333

I've never been drawn much to Goodalls-- the music I like to play seems to sound best to me with Less rather than more sustain.

That said-- those people make a beautiful guitar-- and that (yours) looks gorgeous! I could just crack a beer and sit and stare at that Bubinga b/s all afternoon! I'll bet it sounds amazing!

I've never been drawn much to Goodalls-- the music I like to play seems to sound best to me with Less rather than more sustain.

That said-- those people make a beautiful guitar-- and that (yours) looks gorgeous! I could just crack a beer and sit and stare at that Bubinga b/s all afternoon! I'll bet it sounds amazing!

I can relate to that. I had a Goodall years ago - at the time I was playing almost exclusively in various alternate tunings. I was digging all that sustain and the complex overtones. When my playing returned its more "rootsy" self, the tone of the guitar lost much of it's appeal to me and I couldn't justify hanging on to it, although I'm guessing whoever ended up with that Goodall was ecstatic. That said, to me there is no denying the beauty of their guitars. I especially loved the headstock design with the winged "G" logo. It made it look like the guitar was custom built just for me, lol.

That said, the little Brazilian guitar is definitely the most intriguing of the three. What a unique looking instrument. bkharmony, do you by chance have any pics of the headstock? Thanks for sharing the photos.

All the best,

Guth

That said' date=' the little Brazilian guitar is definitely the most intriguing of the three. What a unique looking instrument. bkharmony, do you by chance have any pics of the headstock? Thanks for sharing the photos.[/quote']

Yeah, it is really cool. I really haven't been able to get a feel for it, though, as I don't want to further damage it until I hear form USPS. The strings on it are ancient, so I'm not entirely what it really sounds like. Like I said, though, the neck is a baseball bat - the big end of the baseball bat - and I kinda struggle with those. But it's definitely got a certain "something."

One of the Korean makers is reissuing them, but they're a bit different. I can't recall who. Cort? Oscar Schmidt?

http://www.amazon.com/Giannini-GWSCRA-12-Craviola®-12-String/dp/B001V7RMNY

And I do have a photo of the headstock!

BKH_Craviola06sm.jpg

Archived