Gibson Brands Forums

ALTERED STATES.....

onewilyfool

must be nice to have health ins.

Yup!! I'd be wandering around like a ticking time bomb without it!! Just as a backup- I signedup for Veterans benefits last year and was accepted. So I have that as a back up.

Anybody done this: get the guitar in a funky alternative tuning and knock back a few beers? I do this with DADGAD and I become Jorma (though I recognize it sounds like noise to anyone who may be listening).

Anybody done this: get the guitar in a funky alternative tuning and knock back a few beers? I do this with DADGAD and I become Jorma (though I recognize it sounds like noise to anyone who may be listening).

Nope, haven't done that, but would like to see you do it at the Open Mic next month! #-o/

Lot's of good stories and good memories brought up in this quote. I came up playing rock in bars and mid size venues and a lesson learned the hard way is it's a simple fact music just sounds better if the musicians are clean and sober and the audience is wasted. if anyone doubt's that they never spent much time at Greatful Dead concerts

that's why the 60's and 70's are so nostalgic, those of us that actually lived through it have no real clear memories of those years

Anything that relaxes people makes them play better

Darn, I was getting ready to say that. Take it from Ms. Emmylou Harris: 'Bluebird Wine is anything you want it to be, as long as it isnt habit forming.' There's lots of ways to get focused, including a few deep breaths. I do think if you are gigging, you owe it to the folks in the house to be able to produce. I'll never forgot seeing Rick Danko of The Band doing an acoustic gig nine sheets to the wind. I left, it was so sad.

I really like the music of Van Morrison, but went to a concert of his in the 70's and he came on the stage with a bottle of Jack Daniels about half finished. So was he. The band was the tightest band I have ever seen, very good musicians, and they held it together as best they could. But when he fell down during one point of the concert, I just got up and left. So, I agree with the rest, if you are a performer.....it is your responsibility to show up straight and give the best show possible.

I really like the music of Van Morrison, but went to a concert of his in the 70's and he came on the stage with a bottle of Jack Daniels about half finished. So was he. The band was the tightest band I have ever seen, very good musicians, and they held it together as best they could. But when he fell down during one point of the concert, I just got up and left. So, I agree with the rest, if you are a performer.....it is your responsibility to show up straight and give the best show possible.

Darn' date=' I was getting ready to say that. Take it from Ms. Emmylou Harris: 'Bluebird Wine is anything you want it to be, as long as it isnt habit forming.' There's lots of ways to get focused, including a few deep breaths. I do think if you are gigging, you owe it to the folks in the house to be able to produce. I'll never forgot seeing Rick Danko of The Band doing an acoustic gig nine sheets to the wind. I left, it was so sad.[/quote']

Despite being an ELH fan, I had not heard of that Bluebird Wine song, so I went on a search. Found this one YouTube.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM3QBP3zq7g

Isn't that great?? I HAVE to pick up that DVD.

As for me and altered states..... one glass of white wine and I'm better on guitar. Two glasses of white wine and I only think I'm better on guitar. Three glasses of white wine and I'm in a strumming/picking frenzy and everyone's left the room. LOL

I was always a happy drunk, I just knew my playing sucked even more when under the influence.

My brother and a couple uncles, however, were fine with the first few beers but as the night wore on, they got more argumentative and belligerent. Sometimes this led to altercations but mostly verbal.

One uncle spent a number of years in Nashville. He had a "day job" but I'm sure he hung around in some seedy places. I'm sure he went through many guitars while there. When he came home in '85 he had a Goya dreadnaught that supposedly was bought from a member of Ricky Skagg's band. One time he mentioned being in the hospital for a short while because some woman said something to effect of "If I can't have you then nobody else will either!" and then stabbed him. Didn't kill him obviously, but the Goya also had what could have passed for a knife penetration wound on the top. Makes me wonder if those incidences overlapped.

Rough character. Same uncle that bought a new Hummingbird in '68 and the next year his wife threw him out and the 'bird too. The 'bird flew out the door, landed on the lawn and apparently didn't survive the impact. I was too young, otherwise I would have claimed the carcass.

Karen, I have that DVD, it's a great one! Rodney, of course, played in Emmylou's band quite a bit. See that Russell capo Rodney's using? I have four of those from the 70's. Had to keep rolling the rubber around when the sting depressions became too deep to be effective any more. Oh, that's David Alan Coe driving his own bus at the end of the video. He's a real piece of work and wears a great spangly cowboy outfit while performing in the prison in the DVD. "Heartworn Highway" buy it, you'll like it!

I really like the music of Van Morrison' date=' but went to a concert of his in the 70's and he came on the stage with a bottle of Jack Daniels about half finished. So was he. The band was the tightest band I have ever seen, very good musicians, and they held it together as best they could. But when he fell down during one point of the concert, I just got up and left. So, I agree with the rest, if you are a performer.....it is your responsibility to show up straight and give the best show possible. [/quote']

I totally agree!..............George Jones

Karen' date=' I have that DVD, it's a great one! Rodney, of course, played in Emmylou's band quite a bit. See that Russell capo Rodney's using? I have four of those from the 70's. Had to keep rolling the rubber around when the sting depressions became too deep to be effective any more. Oh, that's David Alan Coe driving his own bus at the end of the video. He's a real piece of work and wears a great spangly cowboy outfit while performing in the prison in the DVD. "Heartworn Highway" buy it, you'll like it![/size']

I wondered what the capo was all about! Definitely a collectible! I have an old orange elastic thing..... is that the same thing? I don't actually use it anymore. I will definitely get that DVD. Never would have recognized David Alan Coe from his newer videos!

Despite being an ELH fan' date=' I had not heard of that Bluebird Wine song [/quote']

Her first record (they had records then)! She intro'd the song with that quote on a show back in...never mind. But what a great band. Albert Lee on guitar, Glenn D. Hardin (from Elvis's band) on piano, & Herb Pederson on harmonies. Glad to pass it on, GG.

Her first record (they had records then)! She intro'd the song with that quote on a show back in...never mind. But what a great band. Albert Lee on guitar' date=' Glenn D. Hardin (from Elvis's band) on piano, & Herb Pederson on harmonies. Glad to pass it on, GG.[/quote']

Yup, been sitting here for the last hour working out my own little arrangement for it. Love finding new songs! Thanks Jkinnama!

You know' date=' I had a tough day at work today, and it is 6:30 and my wife is coming home late tonight.....so.......I had a couple of nice shots of tequilla.....nice brand Porto Vallarta....smooth. But I digress.....after a couple of shots, I picked up my trusty guitar and you know....I'm pretty good!!!! The question I am asking is this: Does alcohol actually improve one's playing, or is it all in the ear of the beholder????? I know this for SURE, if I go to an open mic, I will definitely loosen up the vocal chords with a little sniff.....I'm feeling pretty good now....so whatever your answers are, I'm sure I will agree with you....lol[/quote']

I think there's a song in there somewhere:

The guit tars all sound sweeter at closin' time.

They all begin to sound like Hummingbirds....

Thanks Mickey Gilley!

Archived