Gibson Brands Forums

What's your favorite direct box?

Rock Bottom

What's your favorite direct box and why? I'm considering the L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic....

I usually play through my micophone. (Shure SM-27 Condenser) I've found that to be the best sound reproduction in my experience. It works for me, and I've had many compliments on the sound of my guitar amplified this way. I did, however, have the opportunity to play through the Para Acoustic. Wonderful equalization, but that's about it. I found that everything you can do with the Para Acoustic, you can already do at the mixer. I mean, what's the point? Ya know? I guess having the ability to control your set-up right there with you is the only plus. But that's why I have "soundchecks". All in all, still a great little piece of gear to have.

I have a LR Baggs PARA DI and like it a lot, but in reality, I only use it if playing straight into a PA system. If using my Genz Benz Shenandoah 200 Stereo Acoustic amp, I find I have all the Pre-amp and adjustability of the Baggs PARA right within the controls of my amp. It most definatly sounds best with my K & K mini Western pickups that I have in both of my Gibby's.

We carry around a stack of Behringer DI-100 direct boxes. Very simple, reliable, and affordable. Phantom or battery powered, with nothing but in's and out's, pads, and ground lift. All EQ is done at the mixing board.

I have a couple of those Behringer boxes, but rarely use them as I usually use the superb (to my ears) DI that is built into my Peterson Strobostomp floor tuner.

Other excellent DIs I have come across are the Radial PZ Pre, the Tech 21 Sansamp DI and the Baggs Para DI. I gather the in-house K&K XLR preamp is superb with their pickups.

We carry around a stack of Behringer DI-100 direct boxes. Very simple' date=' reliable, and affordable. Phantom or battery powered, with nothing but in's and out's, pads, and ground lift. All EQ is done at the mixing board.[/quote']

As L5 said, the Behringers work and etc.

I use the Radial JDI , built like a tank and works good.

OWF a DI: Application 2 - JDI with acoustic guitar:

Here the JDI is used to provide the front-of-house PA system with an balanced unaltered clean guitar signal for final EQ and effects processing.

In this setup:

- An acoustic guitar pickup connects to the JDI's ¼" input jack

- The JDI's ¼" thru jack is connected to the guitar amplifier input

- The JDI's XLR output connects to one of the mixing console mic inputs

- Polarity and ground lift switches are set as required

bkg-jdi-slice-310.jpg

Archived