Gibson Brands Forums

Girls' names

TommyK

I've known for a long time that girls' names come and go with great frequency, boys, not so much.

Girls' names tend to be more trendy and appear for some reason. I've encountered a fair number of incidences of high school aged girls with the name Siobhan, pronounced Sh? Bonn. What is the source of this name? Actress? Movie character?

Just curious.

There was a redhead on SNL back in the early 90s named Siobhann Fallon (not sure of spelling). That would time out well with the current rash of teen girls with that name.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s DeGrassi Junior High had the character Kaitlyn. Now every fourth girl is named that.

There was a redhead on SNL back in the early 90s named Siobhann Fallon (not sure of spelling). That would time out well with the current rash of teen girls with that name.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s DeGrassi Junior High had the character Kaitlyn. Now every fourth girl is named that.

I'm involved in education and we've seen Caitlin spelled as many ways as you can count.

I wasn't into SNL back then. Either lost interest or just too tired from child rearing to stay up that late. I've seen recent itterations of SNL and it just isn't that funny any more. Same with Jimmy Fallon's Late Night. I don't think I've ever heard the studio audience laugh.

I've been watching since '75 except for most of the 80s when my local station dropped it (I didn't have cable or satellite then). I used to exchange emails with Laraine Newman but I haven't heard much from her in a few years. Busy I guess. Or she thinks I'm a stalker.

Well, you walk all hunched over, unless you're trippin' on drugs, collect old busses and high school year books, fix instruments most people would have given up on and lately you've been giving everyone the finger. Yup, stalker. :-

I've known for a long time that girls' names come and go with great frequency' date=' boys, not so much.

Girls' names tend to be more trendy and appear for some reason. I've encountered a fair number of incidences of high school aged girls with the name Siobhan, pronounced Sh? Bonn. What is the source of this name? Actress? Movie character?

Just curious.[/quote']

I thought Siobhan was pronounced: Shivorne. It's an Irish name if I'm not mistaken. I've never encountered the pronunciation you mention.

I thought Siobhan was pronounced: Shivorne. It's an Irish name if I'm not mistaken. I've never encountered the pronunciation you mention.

Interesting. Must be a regional thing.

Any Irishmen about? Can you weigh in?

I've been watching since '75 except for most of the 80s when my local station dropped it (I didn't have cable or satellite then). I used to exchange emails with Laraine Newman but I haven't heard much from her in a few years. Busy I guess. Or she thinks I'm a stalker.

Hey I got to meet most of the SNL Not Ready For Prime Time Players back in 77. Spent a lot of time around the RCA building that spring.

Belushi, Radner, Murray, and Morris. Got pics with them stored away somewhere. They were at the top of their game then.

Gilda was always a sweetheart.

I've known for a long time that girls' names come and go with great frequency' date=' boys, not so much.

Just curious.[/quote']

From my country of origin, that means "wipe your a**". [crying]

Archived