Gibson Brands Forums

Buying Advice for a black Gibson SG Special

SkippyThorson

So, hello fellow Gibson-ites! I was wondering if anyone could offer me some words of wisdom on an SG I found on Craigslist.

I emailed the person, and they said they don't know the exact year, but remembers that they bought it in "05-ish".

It's got a good dent on the bottom edge of the guitar, but other than that, it's good. I know what to look for when spotting a fake, but if this turns out to be the real thing when I go to look at it, is it worth it? If not, what should it be worth?

Thanks a ton guys!

i have a decent black gibson sg' date=' real gibson. it is a little beatup from being a gig guitar, but i love it. small dent on the bottom, and scrathes on the back, i need it gone

300 cash [/quote']

Why does he "need it gone"?

Give it a really good look over, especially the neck and headstock looking from possible break repairs. If it passes your inspection (plug in and play it too), $300 is a realistic price for a "beatup gig guitar".

Awesome, thanks folks. I like finding old playing instruments, because they have character, and can actually be used unlike say show pieces.

One thing I just thought of though - how do I know it's a Special and not a Standard? What are the differences there?

The "need it gone" thing will be solved in due investigation. I never like seeing things like that. :-P

First, welcome to the forums. :-s

It's tough to tell from the crappy photos the seller has up, but it looks like it's in okay shape (except for the usual wear and tear from gigging). I think $300 is a pretty fair price. Definitely check it out in person. Make sure that you double check the headstock (that it hasn't been busted off and glued back on). -I've personally walked from two potential guitar purchases because the seller 'forgot' to disclose that information in their ad description/photos...so frustrating. Good luck. Post some pics on here if you get it. Cheers.

not like it is a demon possesed guitar or anything..........ha ha

..........going rate price for quick sale

if it was though.... I feel he would be asking more for it..

Archived