Gibson Brands Forums

Is there something wrong with this 70's Gibby J-50???????

onewilyfool

Yep. They did some heinous things in the early 70s. Wide headstock, which throws things out of proportion automatically, sometimes the logos were in odd places, the lack of headstock overlay (can't really tell on this one whether it has one or not). For a time they seemingly had a variation in the teardrop guard and they sometimes looked oddly small or large. Very inconsistent time I guess. This one may even have a laminated back. I don't see a center strip.

One thing I can't answer but I'll toss it out there anyway. Around this time they went to a 25.5" scale. The fingerboard was longer of course. So did they shift the position of the soundhole? If they did, and yet used teardrop guards that were meant for the 'old' soundhole position, that would place the guard even closer to the bridge.

If anyone here has a 70s square shoulder Gibson, how about you measure from the body edge (14th fret) to the edge of the soundhole? I have a '64 SJ (24.75") we can compare it to. I also have a '91 J30 which may have a 25.5 scale.... never noticed I guess.

Back to the one on CL..... it may be a great guitar but it's so UN-Gibson I don't know if I could enjoy it.

Craigslist, is not the best for posting pics. They never come out good. I've posted stuff on there & the pics posted there, always make things look like crap!!

If anyone here has a 70s square shoulder Gibson' date=' how about you measure from the body edge (14th fret) to the edge of the soundhole? I have a '64 SJ (24.75") we can compare it to. I also have a '91 J30 which may have a 25.5 scale.... never noticed I guess.

Back to the one on CL..... it may be a great guitar but it's so UN-Gibson I don't know if I could enjoy it.[/quote']

Yeah got a SS J45 but can't be trusted with a tape measure!

Sharp implements have been confiscated

Whats wrong with it ? It's a 1970 J 50 thats whats wrong with it. Before some of you jump on me for that statement, I know some of these 70's Gibsons are decent sounding but you got to admit this period for Gibson produced some really ugly guitars.

My early 70's J-45 doesn't have the tear drop pick guard but the Southern J pick guard. From 14 th fret to center of sound hole 6". Long scale 25 1/2". From edge of head stock to N in Gibson 1/4". The bridge on that J-50 looks too big.

Archived