Gibson Brands Forums

There's a '59 for sale on eBay.

Twiz

It sounds just like the one you can buy for $3500. In fact' date=' the $3500 one probably sounds better. Get real y'all.[/quote']

Haha. Yeah, that's probably true. I just posted it because I thought it was cool to see. -In a weird way I kind of equate it to seeing a super rare animal or something. But yeah, even if I had 350k (yeah right), I'd buy a house, an SG Classic, maybe a plain-top LP Standard, and bank the other 130k.

Vintage? For sure. 325k? Not likely' date=' not for me anyway, if I was dropping a 1/3 of a million on a guitar she'd have to be mint. "Mojo" is not a selling point for me in this case. I'm sure it sounds outta this world though. [/quote']

Mint guitars dont sound as good as the old beat up ones.

Why?

Because they werent used, the more a guitar is used in a 50 or more year span the better it sounds.

Thats why everyday someone has to play the very old violins you see in musems becuase it helps the wood.

Why?

Because they werent used' date=' the more a guitar is used in a 50 or more year span the better it sounds.

Thats why everyday someone has to play the very old violins you see in musems becuase it helps the wood.[/quote']

Playing helps the wood????? Huh????? Sorry man, but that's what the guys who want these unreal prices for old beat up guitars want you to think. It just isn't true. And please, an electrified, amplified, effect driven instrument isn't like an acoustic one. Take a Stradivarius and beat the hell out of it and it isn't going to sound very good.

Playing helps the wood????? Huh????? Sorry man' date=' but that's what the guys who want these unreal prices for old beat up guitars want you to think. It just isn't true. And please, an electrified, amplified, effect driven instrument isn't like an acoustic one. Take a Stradivarius and beat the hell out of it and it isn't going to sound very good. [/quote']

[biggrin]

Why?

Because they werent used' date=' the more a guitar is used in a 50 or more year span the better it sounds.

Thats why everyday someone has to play the very old violins you see in musems becuase it helps the wood.[/quote']

Dem00n that applies to acoustic instruments. On vintage guitars the effect is much, much less perceibable.

Playing helps the wood????? Huh????? Sorry man' date=' but that's what the guys who want these unreal prices for old beat up guitars want you to think. [/quote']

It is not the sellers, it is the buyers, collectors and speculators that have driven the prices up on vintage guitars.

Haha. Yeah' date=' that's probably true. I just posted it because I thought it was cool to see. -In a weird way I kind of equate it to seeing a super rare animal or something. [/quote']

I am with you, these old guitars are cool to see in a museum/guitar show kind of way. I am personally a hack, I would not even try to play a piece of history like that.

It is not the sellers' date=' it is the buyers, collectors and speculators that have driven the prices up on vintage guitars.[/quote']

Totally agree. But a wise seller always takes advantage of the buyers psychology. [biggrin]

Why?

Thats why everyday someone has to play the very old violins you see in musems becuase it helps the wood.[/quote']Playing helps MY wood, but I'm not too sure about guitars?

J/K![biggrin]

What you're referring to is "warming up" the wood (giggity!), which (and I'm sure some will debate this, but it's true) loosens up the wood fibers, and gives the guitar a "warmer", more responsive feel.

You can test this yourself the next time you pick up your guitar.

"Original large frets in great shape; they have never been dressed or crowned"

[smile]

It has clearly been re-fretted (badly)' date=' and they are very worn. The nut looks to be a replacement also.[/quote']

I agree totally that describing the frets to be in "...great shape..." is nonsense, but what makes you think it's had a re-fret? I've just had another look and both the frets and the nibs look original to me. What am I missing?

[lol]:-k:-k:-k:-k

One of the pictures shows a fret which is too short - it doesn't reach the edge of the board. Also, the nibs are very low and have a completely different profile to the ends of the frets. The work is typical of 'fretting inside the binding', and the nibs have the profile of the original fret ends.

At the upper end of the fretboard, the match is closer, but this is just because these frets have been filed down more.

If I was a rock star I would love to have a peice of Rock history like that.

If I had that kind of money however I'd rather have this;

aston_martin_vanquish.jpg

You have exceptionally good taste.... BTW That guitar is not a piece of Rock History it's just an old guitar... Now if that was the famous JP black beauty that was stolen or was owned at one time by a true rock icon, that's different... but it's not

Archived