Gibson Brands Forums

Volume knob question

gizeh68

On my LPSVM, if I have the pickup selector in the treble position, with both volume knobs at full, it sounds like i'm using both pickups. If I turn down the volume for the neck pickup while strumming, it sounds like i'm slowly removing the neck pickup and leaving most of the bridge pickup, but if I zero out the neck pickup volume wise, then that cuts the bridge out completely.

This is weird because on my Epi LPS, both volume knobs are independent. When I select the bridge pup, all i hear is the bridge pup and the two signals aren't meshed together at all, plus i can zero out the neck pup completely and still have sound.

So anyway it sounds as if my 3 way selector switch has both pups engaged at all times in all positions.

Should I take it in for work?

I also swapped the bridge pup out today. Should I put my original pup back in first?

lastly, I put strap locks on. does this void the warranty?

Thanks!

The way I understand it , that's the way Gibson wirers their guitars. So they are working correctly. If the guitar your talking about is the 2010 you have listed in your gear and it's less than 1 year old , yes you voided the warranty. When you changed the pup. As I recall , they electronics are warrantied for 1 year. Unless your a pro, it's easy to tell when soldering work has been done. I don't think strap locks void the warranty, as it does not effect the guitar in any way. but , i would ask Customer Service. Imo it's no big deal. lastly, it's not an Epi. It's a Gibson. 2 different mfg's.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

when i received my Gibson studio 60s deluxe, the selector switch (knob) was broken off and took half of the metal with it...so i asked my local Gibson retailer if it would void the warranty and if they replaced the switch and they told me no..so i hope they were not lieing to me because they didnt know?

Well, hearing both pickups in the bridge position stinks, I hate it. When I select the bridge pup, I only wand to hear the bridge pup. Having to turn the volume almost all the way down for the neck pup means when I switch to the neck pup, I barely hear it which makes it useless. Middle position should be a blend of the two, rhythm and treble should be 1 pup alone.

The way I understand it ' date=' that's the way Gibson wirers their guitars. So they are working correctly. If the guitar your talking about is the 2010 you have listed in your gear and it's less than 1 year old , yes you voided the warranty. When you changed the pup. As I recall , they electronics are warrantied for 1 year. Unless your a pro, it's easy to tell when soldering work has been done. I don't think strap locks void the warranty, as it does not effect the guitar in any way. but , i would ask Customer Service. Imo it's no big deal. lastly, it's not an Epi. It's a Gibson. 2 different mfg's.

And some pedals

[/quote']

Try calling customer service. Also, others here know alot more than i do . I'm no expert. But you did say "sounds like". From what you discribe, this is the way Gibsons are wired. With the selector switch in the bridge setting it should sound like the bridge pup. It would be very hard to tell what your

guitar sounds like on the net. even with a audio post. When did this start to happen ? After you changed the pup ? Without pics no one can tell what you did when you resoldered the new pup. I gave you a general answer to a general question, because there is info not in your post. Just trying to help.

on an LP (in general) neck pickup neck volume/tone (those are the closest to the bridge/stop tail),, on the treble pickup treble volume/tone (bottom knobs farest away from the bridge/stop tail).

in middle both volume/tone controls are inter-active.

if you are hearing the volume of the neck pickup in the treble side of the selector switch.. look into they way you wired up the pickup.

on an LP (in general) neck pickup neck volume/tone (those are the closest to the bridge/stop tail)' date=', on the treble pickup treble volume/tone (bottom knobs farest away from the bridge/stop tail).

in middle both volume/tone controls are inter-active.

if you are hearing the volume of the neck pickup in the treble side of the selector switch.. look into they way you wired up the pickup.[/quote']

Yes, id look into it too.....somethings not right.

I sometimes use the middle position as a kill switch. I shut down whatever pup I dont want to use by

turning down the volume to zero....that way in the middle position the sound is muted.

Well the issue must have been there prior to swapping the pup... and swapping the pup didn't cause the issue. It's one of those new-fangled "quick change" connectors so I didn't do any soldering onto the board, I just "plugged" in a new pup. I of course had to solder female-connectors onto the new pup of course...

The reason why I noticed the issues is because I know the seymour duncan 59 pup very well and I was listening for its characteristic sound while testing it and found that the guitar sounded virtually no different with the new pup in.

That's when I dialed down the volume on the neck pup and noticed I started hearing more of the bridge pup, but still not 100% bridge.

I'll take this pup out, put the old one back in (You cannot tell I made any mods since you don't solder on the PCB anymore) and take it to the warranty shop near by and ask them to look into it.

Either the PCB is bad or the 3-way toggle is bad.

Now we or i have more info. as i was not aware of the type of connector used . Now we know what type of pup you replaced it with . all these things are important to put in your thread as not everone knows everything about every guitar. Did you check the way you soldered the connector ? please post some pics. this would really be helpful. you did state that you soldered the connector to the new pup ? right? So you did do some soldering ? right ? please give us the whole story. that would be the first place i would look. btw, when did you get the guitar? we need all the info. to be helpful. Hope you get the problem resolved . good luck.

And some pedals

I pulled out the toggle switch. Looks like they put a cheap one in there. It looks nothing like this:

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Hardware/Switches/Straight-Toggle-Switch-Creme.aspx

I'm not even sure that switch will fit my guitar, it looks too long. Mine is short and stubby, with plastic parts inside. It doesn't look like an actual gibson part. The one in the above link actually looks nice, rather "pretty" compared to mine.

Anyway the problem is when I'm in the treble position, the switch doesn't sufficiently separate the two metal wafers, so they are still in contact, making the "treble" position a "bridged" position.

I'll buy the official gibby part and hope it fits. At least it looks like its constructed better.

OK so i'm still at work and will have no time to post pics, but this should suffice:

http://cgi.ebay.com/gibson-epiphone-toggle-switch-les-paul-ES-335-/270586413319?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f00350107

This is a pic of an ebay auction of exactly the same switch that I have. Unfortunately I think I'll have to get it again, even though its relatively cheaply made compared to it's big brother made by Switchcraft for Gibson:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Switchcraft-3-pickup-toggle-switch-Les-Paul-NEW-/380232814406?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5887a44f46

But according to that auction, you can only use the Switchcraft version on LP Customs since they are longer. But just from looking at different angles, it looks better crafted.

I'll measure the switch cavity when I get home, I have to have a clearance of 1 and 5/8 inches.

this will be my last post . as i don't have anymore time to waste on this. take the guitar. whatever it is, to a Authorized Service Tech. to do warranty work. it seems that you are not able to handle this and you should not void your warranty. Something is wrong with this thread and i think people see that. So do I . time for the thread to be closed.

Archived