Gibson Brands Forums

Great post from AGF

onewilyfool

The music is in the guitarist, not the guitar.

I've seen people playing high-end instruments who sucked, and I've seen people playing guitars found at thrift stores who sounded great. The guitar is a tool. Yes, it's nice to have good tools, but it's not the only tool we use when we create and perform music.

Really? I thought it was an over-reaction to a straw man, and maybe even a little projection on the part of the poster.

People like to talk about their guitars over there, for sure. But judgmental attitudes or superiority complexes are by far the exception, rather than the rule.

Even that particular thread contains posts having a pop at Gibson.

Good grief!

Well, like I suggested on the other active thread about "what they said at AGF," if Gibson fans won't even stick up for Gibson, why should anyone else?

Really? I thought it was an over-reaction to a straw man' date=' and maybe even a little projection on the part of the poster.

People like to talk about their guitars over there, for sure. But judgmental attitudes or superiority complexes are by far the exception, rather than the rule. [/quote']

That is NOT my experience, I've been pretty reamed over there by the Religion sect, and the $20K owner's clique. Pack attack might be more appropriate, but I digress, there are some pretty opinionated people over there, and some fine examples of "mob mentality" I only go over there occasionally, but saw this and thought the forum might like to read it....

:-k:-k[blink]O:)

Suburude, do you even have a Gibson anymore? (this week, that is....lol), I know of some folks who don't even OWN a Gibson, but like to come over here to the Gibson Forum, for the comraderie and great advice......I think that seaks volumes for the people in this forum....

I've been pretty reamed over there by the Religion sect

I do find it odd there are so many folks over there that only play for "worship." Not saying there's anything wrong with it, I've just never seen so many people with Bible quotes in their sigs.

Suburude' date=' do you even have a Gibson anymore? (this week, that is....lol), I know of some folks who don't even OWN a Gibson, but like to come over here to the Gibson Forum, for the comraderie and great advice......I think that seaks volumes for the people in this forum....[/quote']

I agree. I stopped posting regularly at AGF years ago. Before I bought the Songwriter I was posting over at the Larrivee forum (another great group of constructive, supportive people). I think even if (FSM forbid) I ever part with my Gibson, I would continue to participate here because of the thoughtfulness and tolerance of the group.

Forums have personalities that are based on the collective will of the regular posters. I am a semi-regular at another forum centered around a particular group I'm fond of, but I refrain from participating in some areas because of the rarified air of superiority of the grand poobahs of the forum (they give out titles to each other for most blathering - one given for +1000 posts and some of them are in five figures).

I'll read at AFG because their moderators and some of their frequent posters are some of the best experts in the field. But I have a life outside of this forum and outside of guitars.

Besides, I need time to devote to my new Mustang forum! Woohoo!

My daddy told me years ago, a quote, he believes was from Socrates that translates, roughly,

"When I could finally afford to wear a tie, I found I no longer needed to wear one."

Archived