Gibson Brands Forums

What's your band composition?

Silenced Fred

Notes....

Just one question: How do you get the backing tracks functioning well into a good "show?" Since you made them yourself, is it easier to figure how to use them in a show because it's your handle on them?

I think this is kinda the way of the future for small venue entertainment, so...

Does anyone ever wonder whence comes the "extra" and see the outfit as "less" than proper music or have things changed so the expectations are for more computerized shows?

In the way olden days a buddy and I did a Univox drummer with 2 guitars or guitar/bass and no problems but I always felt a little odd with having that absolutely unvarying beat whereas a live drummer "moves" with the music a little.

???

m

There's 4 of us. -2 guitars, bass and drums. I write everything (the main riffs of the songs anyway). The other dudes come up with their own parts, and help with arranging the parts sometimes. Here's a link to my band.

Right now it is me on guitar and my drummer. We want to add keys and vocals. My guitar playing can be pretty filling so we'd like to add just keys for color and to fill in the low frequencies. Vocals are a must since neither of us write great vocal lines or are confident singers.

In regards to two guitars, the key is to build a chemistry and make sure you leave room for each other. Appetite for Destruction by Gn'R is a great example of two guitars working in perfect harmony. Check out some Sonic Youth or Interpol for other ideas. If you are both bashing out full chords or riffing over top each other it's going to sound muddy with no room for vocals or bass. My rule of thumb is the more members, the less each should play unless you are going for a wall of sound vibe.

Notes....

Just one question: How do you get the backing tracks functioning well into a good "show?" Since you made them yourself' date=' is it easier to figure how to use them in a show because it's your handle on them?

I think this is kinda the way of the future for small venue entertainment, so...

Does anyone ever wonder whence comes the "extra" and see the outfit as "less" than proper music or have things changed so the expectations are for more computerized shows?

In the way olden days a buddy and I did a Univox drummer with 2 guitars or guitar/bass and no problems but I always felt a little odd with having that absolutely unvarying beat whereas a live drummer "moves" with the music a little.

???

m

[/quote']

Most of Buckethead's shows are like this....just him and his ipod with the backing tracks on em....

Most fans would prefer to see a full band but hey, it doesn't matter THAT much as you know how Buckethead fans are right? [thumbup]

Shred...

Yeah, I hear you - although not "Buckethead."

(Okay, I should listen to this performer but frankly the name and "band outfit" turned me off entirely when I first heard of him. That's certainly unfair coming from a guy who once played in what was regionally advertised as "the band you've gotta see to believe. <chortle>)

As I said, I think it's something we'll increasingly see in live performances - but honestly, I feel a bit odd even using a drum machine. I've done the harp and kazoo and could feature playing with a bass keyboard at foot level and yet... let's face it, one will play better if one only has concerns about a single instrument than trying to be an old-style "one man band."

That's where I'm coming from - that and the relative lack of control once the backing track starts running. Even with a drum machine, you could kick the button to stop the thing for a joke on a dead night in the saloon - but...

Maybe it's just an old guy being too worried about it. I dunno - I really don't.

m

Me - Lead guitar/rhythm guitar and vocals

Bassist - lead/rhythm bass (we're kind of going for a John Entwistle kind of thing, without overplaying it too much)

Drummer

Milod, you don't gotta listen to him...i was just sorta putting it out there as an example of someone who plays alone to backing tracks live on stage...

I would MUCH prefer to see him with a live band...saw him 4 times, all with the iPod (booo)....I like a little band interaction etc...

It's certainly easier...you only gotta deal with yourself and not other personalities etc...and your "bandmates" always play the right notes at the right time and all that....depends on what the fans like/expect I guess!

Well, couple things have changed: I told my other guitarist that I am not really changing my playing and writing style, which as evol said, mine is also quite filling. I have never really worked with a bassist a whole lot and try to fill in empty spaces with lines. We added a bassist, a beautiful woman who is stellar on bass. I just have to pay her in brownies [biggrin]

We are writing a ton of original stuff, but are going to learn some cool Silversun Pickups songs, since we pretty much have the same makeup and the other guitarist will also be playing some keys.

I am pumped. so now it is

Guitar/Vocals

Guitar/Keys

Bass/Vocals

Drums/Drums

Archived