Gibson Brands Forums

Bluegrass In Rosine Ky.

Murph

Hey Murph! Have a big time! I started playin' in a bluegrass band several years ago, and it's become a blessing in disguise. Raw, stripped down, acoustic music. The blend of acoustic instruments, 3 and 4 part harmonies can become really addicting! I've had the best time jammin' in this genre of music. As you'll surely see some very talented musicians, bluegrass music has not yet been "infected" by recording labels or commercialized by "mainstream Nashville". It's why I love to play with the band I'm in. You'll see these guys just play for the fun of it and their devotion to the music just shines as they play. I envy you, my friend! You're going to the "heartland" of bluegrass! Have a big time and let us know how your trip was!

Murph, you'll love it. I've played that festival several times (although I thought it was in October). Often you will find players jamming in the camping areas as good as the guys on stage. Be warned though, bluegrass festivals are addictive.

Where abouts Murph?

I have plans to get to the Metamora Jam. I think it's this Saturday on the 'square'.

[cool]

I suspect I hadn't had my first cuppa joe this morning when I read that.

Rosene. have fun!

I'm still goin' to Metamora. I hope it don't rain. Maybe we can get into the Legion hall... or maybe the Old Court House will let us in.

[cool]

I suspect I hadn't had my first cuppa joe this morning when I read that.

Rosene. have fun!

I'm still goin' to Metamora. I hope it don't rain. Maybe we can get into the Legion hall... or maybe the Old Court House will let us in.

Tommy, that sounds like a verse of a song...

I'm still goin' to Metamora

I hope that it don't rain

Maybe we can go to the Legion Hall

Or the old Court House will let us in

Anyone else here the melody in there?

Tommy' date=' that sounds like a verse of a song...

[/quote']

Lol I like it!

Murph' date=' you'll love it. I've played that festival several times (although I thought it was in October). Often you will find players jamming in the camping areas as good as the guys on stage. Be warned though, bluegrass festivals are addictive.[/quote']

I think you are referring to the place down the road towards Beaver Dam (it's name escapes me this morning) where they film the "Cumberland Highlanders". The gate was closed.

***** EDIT It's "Jerusalem Ridge"

This was not a festival, but a weekend barn jam/thing downtown Rosine (?) and yes, there were players EVERYWHERE...... The players on stage in the barn have a P.A. with mics on stage. They seemed to get about 30 minutes, then rotated to the the next group.

Outside there are groups set up everywhere, the front porch of the store, INSIDE the store, behind the store, ect.

One guy had a 1958 Gibson banjo he called his "hotrod".

Most of the guitars were those dreaded Martins, (I'm kidding.......) and I was shocked at the lack of flatpicking.

I didn't take an instrument, it's too hot to leave one in a vehicle and I had never been there and didn't know the lay of the land.

Next weekend it's a 2 day deal, Fri/Sat, and there are festivals coming up all the time.

As a 35 plus year veteran of playing rock/country in bars I gotta agree with you guys and gals.

I'm hooked.

Tommy' date=' that sounds like a verse of a song...

[/quote']

OMG :-

Now I am conversin' in verse.

I've been at this too long

Don't be with me terse.

Just help me and sing along. :-k

I'm hooked.

I hope your wife is understandin' and don't mind bein' a Bluegrass widder.

To the 'purists', or should I say 'elitists' "It ain't Bluegrass unless'n your playin' a Martin guit tar or a Gibson F-5 manderlin.

I don't ascribe to that but there are them with headstock fixation what do. Don't pay 'em no mind. Just bring your axe next time.

I hope your wife is understandin' and don't mind bein' a Bluegrass widder.

To the 'purists'' date=' or should I say 'elitists' "It ain't Bluegrass unless'n your playin' a Martin guit tar or a Gibson F-5 manderlin.

I don't ascribe to that but there are them with headstock fixation what do. Don't pay 'em no mind. Just bring your axe next time.[/quote']

I've been gigging bars for 35 plus years, so she's real cool with bluegrass jams.....

As for the "Martin" snobs, let me repeat. There was a serious lack of flat picking, and.......

[biggrin]

Archived