Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

I order a Worn Cherry Burst from GC yesterday, They have a 10% off coupon that worked for the Tribute. Really wanted the GT, but the CB looks sweet too as the HB, sorry but I just don't like the B&W ones, who knows if I'll ever see it.

I just hope Gibby does cut corners tying to catch up since the flood.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the 335 vs. 339.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I traded an Lp and a Blueshawk towards a '10 black satin 335 that caught my eye, but had to bring it back due to a finish flaw...The 335 is big so it has a big(ger) sound - unplugged atleast. I really liked it. Amped they all sound great (love me those 57 classics!).

It took 2 trips to decide a replacement- at 1st I couldn't find another 335 in stock that I liked looks-wise (till I saw a VSB flamed the next day I had overlooked and would have been happy with), so I started looking at/researching the 339 & 336. So now I had a tough choice between the one 335, & a 339c I had high hopes for (336 was $$$); I finally settled on the 339c cause it just felt better being a bit smaller and it played...easier...nice looking, great tone too!

Anyway - in the long run I ended up with a 336f for a good price 'cause they couldn't find the COA on the 339! (they have since gotten a new coa in from Gibson). I would have been happy with any of them, but especially like the idea of a carved solid-body as a perfect mix between an solid LP and a laminated 335/339, and also in getting a 'real' CS guitar, so I took the dive and spent the extra $$.

As always, just find a store that has 'em all at a good price, try them out and see which one calls to you. The size may make a big diff to you.

You got lucky on the coupon as the fine print specifically excludes Gibson products. I believe it will be a while before I spend any more money with Guitar Center. I just don't like their sales practices.

That and their high prices.

Sorry to digress from the LP 50's tribute. I always like to talk to others about guitars. Thanks all for the feedback on the 335 vs. 339. I've played both and am 99% on the 335.

Looking forward to (hopefully) receiving the dual P90s. It will be a nice addition.

Sorry to digress from the LP 50's tribute. I always like to talk to others about guitars. Thanks all for the feedback on the 335 vs. 339. I've played both and am 99% on the 335.

Looking forward to (hopefully) receiving the dual P90s. It will be a nice addition.

I'd like to buy a cherry ES 339 later on.

excpet the size is there a huge difference with the ES335? knowing it's a custom shop product' date=' the ES339 seems not that expensive if compared to a ES335 or a CS LP R9 for example?

I think the ES 335 would be to big for me, and I really like the design of the 339, it looks so sweet[biggrin']

Why are you 99% for the 335????

I'd like to buy a cherry ES 339 later on.

excpet the size is there a huge difference with the ES335? knowing it's a custom shop product' date=' the ES339 seems not that expensive if compared to a ES335 or a CS LP R9 for example?

I think the ES 335 would be to big for me, and I really like the design of the 339, it looks so sweet[biggrin']

Why are you 99% for the 335????

Come on guys, take this somewhere else.

Come on guys' date=' take this somewhere else.[/quote']

Good point. It's a great topic for a new thread anyway.

And never argue with a charging Rhino! (Okay, not sure that's a Rhino, if not I don't know what's in your avatar [biggrin] ).

How 'bout back to the 50's tribute! After Jack's last post (emphasis added below), I'm getting really excited about the upcoming shipment (I do hope it's coming, shouldn't have read in the system if it was gone, and it took me a bit longer than I let on due to some banking/website issues, but we got it sorted and I got the confirmation number- according to Frank, it could have been bought out from under me in the time that took, but it wasn't- I'll be looking for a tracking number tomorrow though, and will feel way better once I've seen that it's shipped!).

Glad I could help. Surprised you got it because the guy at Sam Ash told me the day I picked my up that the other one was also on its way to Atlanta to guy who called just after I did. If I'd known how good the thing was going to play and sound' date=' T-Bone, you may have been reading how much I was enjoying my 2 Tributes!! :-)[/quote']

I got a backorder notice yesterday that said:

"We are temporarily out of stock on the item(s) noted below, but have more on order with the manufacturer. We will ship them to you as soon as we receive them. We sincerely appreciate your patience."

How long before the send me a cancellation notice?

"We are temporarily out of stock on the item(s) noted below' date=' but have more on order with the manufacturer. We will ship them to you as soon as we receive them. We sincerely appreciate your patience."

How long before the send me a cancellation notice?[/quote']

Which dealer? if it's GC, I've gotten nothing from them. Sounds like they maybe canceled all GT orders after a certain date (number sold). If you ordered by Monday the 14th, I think you may be okay. That's when mine was confirmed. I was told they cut off ordering shortly after that (which from the sounds of it they didn't).

Which dealer? if it's GC' date=' I've gotten nothing from them. Sounds like they maybe canceled all GT orders after a certain date (number sold). If you ordered by Monday the 14th, I think you may be okay. That's when mine was confirmed. I was told they cut off ordering shortly after that (which from the sounds of it they didn't).[/quote']

It was MF,I ordered a Goldtop from them on 6/15. My web order page says:

Qty Description Each Total Status Last Updated Tracking #

1 Worn Gold Top Gibson Les Paul Studio 1950s Tribute Electric Guitar Worn Gold Top $849.00 $849.00 Backordered 06/16/10 09:35AM

I also ordered a Goldtop from Amazon on 5/20. Maybe my odds are better there. My order status at Amazon is:

Not Yet Shipped:

1 item - delivery estimate: July 9, 2010 - August 12, 2010

Which dealer? if it's GC' date=' I've gotten nothing from them. Sounds like they maybe canceled all GT orders after a certain date (number sold). If you ordered by Monday the 14th, I think you may be okay. That's when mine was confirmed. I was told they cut off ordering shortly after that (which from the sounds of it they didn't).[/quote']

If this is true I'll be expecting the "email" then. Of course I'm going to be ticked if they only email me since I've already paid for the thing in store.

I got a phone call about the same time the email hit the inbox. This was a day after the CSR told me everything looked good and I was on track to receive the guitar I had ordered and paid for. I checked my card today and the balance is not longer there, at least I don't have to fight to get my money back.

for those who are expecting to receive 2, what about changing out the P-90s for a pair of mini's which would make it a 70's tribute

e89fe05b-838b-43e0-ab8e-8088ff9ba8ee.jpg

The introduction of the mini humbucker in the late-1960s served a growing need — the demand for a P-90-sized pickup with no hum. Gibson’s world-class engineers set about creating a smaller, more compact humbucker to fit into the slot of a P-90. With its smaller size, narrow magnetic field, and unique design combination, the mini humbucker produces a bright and focused output, while still retaining Gibson’s famous humbucker performance. The mini humbucker was first made available in several Gibson-made Epiphone models of the late 1960s, and the Les Paul Deluxe in 1969. Today, it is best known as the pickup in the Gibson Firebird, and is a vintage replica of the original mini humbucker with bar Alnico II magnets. The Gibson mini humbucker is authentic in every detail, from its cream-colored plastic mounting and coated enamel-like wire, to its maple spacers and vintage braided lead wire. The tone is unmistakable Gibson. The mini humbucker is available for the bridge or neck position, and is equipped with braided, two–conductor wiring and fully wax potted to eliminate microphonic feedback

!Bnb+57!!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKjIEtkoKdqeuBLjczHV-hg~~_3.JPG

knowing it's a custom shop product, the ES339 seems not that expensive if compared to a ES335

Like the 335, the 339 is a Memphis custom shop - not the original custom shop in Nashville.

"Exclusive" at $3250 for a figured seems a bit steep!

"We are temporarily out of stock on the item(s) noted below' date=' but have more on order with the manufacturer. We will ship them to you as soon as we receive them. We sincerely appreciate your patience."

How long before the send me a cancellation notice?[/quote']

I've gotten 4 BO notices now from MF. I'll be one ticked off dude if they cancel my order. I placed mine on 6/10.

Steve

I've gotten 4 BO notices now from MF. I'll be one ticked off dude if they cancel my order. I placed mine on 6/10.

Steve

You should definitely get one. I think it will be those who ordered after 6/14(like me) who may not get one.

I ordered on 6/18 and had the pleasure of receiving a phone call Saturday telling me that my GT has been canceled. Same story, 30 or so from Gibson, blah blah blah.... He said I could order the CB or Black or White, so I am definitely in for the CB.... Pretty disappointed though. Guess I'll just starting drinking now, maybe the "8/31" date will come sooner.

I believe the GT that was canceled on me is going to morph into a candy apple red Telecaster I played at the local music store today.

Hey, NOTHING wrong, with a Telecaster! Love 'em! In fact, I may be buying another one,

White with Rosewood fingerboard (Classic Series '60's version). But, first...I have to get the Gold Top!

CB

This was asked on Henry J's new Gibson Forum

Question:

"I was just wondering with these new studios seemingly all the rage and customers being told their orders will not be filled, why not continue to produce more than the initial lot?"

Henry's Answer:

"Our factory is still not fully operating. We are hard pressed to make this sort of decision until we are back producing product. Many great models are disappearing from retail inventory as the production stoppage due to flooding in Nashville had us closed for many weeks.

We are very aware of the demand on this product, as well as others, and will be discussing internally how we can address the needs of our fans better. I cannot give you anything more specific at this time"

Archived