Gibson Brands Forums

Fuller's Reissue J-35

CAMELEYE

I've been trying to sell this guitar for my bandmate to no avail, but no more! After having this instrument in my house for the past few weeks and giving it some serious playtime I've come to the conclusion that this guitar is possibly the best new Gibson "J-45 style" guitar I've ever played. So, now I own it. The adi top's just starting to open up and this thing puts my other guitars to shame. Can't really describe the tone; you know how elusive that can be, but I'm impressed. Also, the thick vintage profile neck at first seemed like a real handful but now I don't even notice it. Fits my hand like a glove. This guitar reminds me of the beat-to- schmidt bannerhead 45 I played all through the '70s and foolishly traded away. And now, here we go again! Ce

Ce, you may remember that I had talked to your friend about this J35. I was considering that one you have as well as another one. Since I couldn't play either of them, I went with the one that had better pictures, correct style pickguard and Waverly tuners. Sounds like your as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Actually I can't believe that yours didn't sell ! If players only knew what they were missing out on, with some of these Fuller reissues.

I must admit that I hesitated on this one and waited too late. I guarentee it is a winner. I had to go all the way round and try out a bunch of other stuff before I realized that this was what I was looking for. Even bought and sold a Goodall TROM which was a great guitar but did not have the neck profile I wanted. There is something about a good Gibson slope that is special. I have my OJ reissue that I would never part with. I just don't underwtand why great guitars like this are always custom ordred runs. Seems like Gisbosn could jsut make the damn J 45 with a little fuller neck and run some with adi tops from time to time. Oh well, my bias I suppose.

I've been trying to sell this guitar for my bandmate to no avail' date=' but no more! After having this instrument in my house for the past few weeks and giving it some serious playtime I've come to the conclusion that this guitar is possibly the best new Gibson "J-45 style" guitar I've ever played. So, now I own it. The adi top's just starting to open up and this thing puts my other guitars to shame. Can't really describe the tone; you know how elusive that can be, but I'm impressed. Also, the thick vintage profile neck at first seemed like a real handful but now I don't even notice it. Fits my hand like a glove. This guitar reminds me of the beat-to- schmidt bannerhead 45 I played all through the '70s and foolishly traded away. And now, here we go again! Ce[/quote']

Nice get......can you list the specs and maybe put some pics of this wonderful guitar up? Thanks..

Cameleye,

Glad you warmed up to the Fuller's J35. It's an excellent guitar. I have one, and a J45TV with a Red Spruce top, and an SJ TV with Sitka. It's amazing how alike yet individual each sounds, considering that all three are essentially very similar. All three are excellent, as a matter of fact. If those who wonder about the consistency of Gibsons would play these three, I don't think they would have any doubts. Maybe I just got lucky...

Markwillplay,

Reading your post reminded me that I was supposed to send you measurements of my J35, and forgot. I hope I didn't cost you the opportunity to obtain the guitar.

Red 333

BD, the first ding is the hardest ding, not to worry after that. I take extremely good care of my guitars but accidents (and other pickers) do happen.

fp, I'm very happy with the sound and playability. Don't mind the teardrop guard. I do have some firestripe material and could make an L00 style guard. Also have a set of Waves. We'll see. And yes, as mwp has noted above, an incredible guitar was missed by many.

BK, thanks. Will try and learn how to post pix. I do have some. Anyone want to see the 35 can PM me for now.

mwp, remember, you never know.

OWF, I need to call Fuller's and get the scoop on this J-35. Think the interior bracing is different than the typical J-45, maybe closer to the AJ. Will report back.

Red, Didn't take too long. Been using a Martin D-18V in my band and spent many a happy hour A/Bing the two. What really got to me was the 35's clarity of each string, each note and the deep thud that seemed to vibrate in my chest when I went into blues mode and thumped those low strings.

I'd be curious to know what you notice re the difference of tone between your 35 and 45TV.

Thanks to all above, Ce.

I need to call Fuller's and get the scoop on this J-35. Think the interior bracing is different than the typical J-45' date=' maybe closer to the AJ. Will report back.

Red, Didn't take too long. Been using a Martin D-18V in my band and spent many a happy hour A/Bing the two. What really got to me was the 35's clarity of each string, each note and the deep thud that seemed to vibrate in my chest when I went into blues mode and thumped those low strings.

I'd be curious to know what you notice re the difference of tone between your 35 and 45TV.

Thanks to all above, Ce.

[/quote']

I agree, the Fuller's J35 does have very good string separation and very pleasing balance, making it a good choice for fingerpickers. It sustains well, too.

The Fuller's J35's do have the forward shifted x braces like the AJ (and J45TV). Unlike the J45TV, the Fuller's J35 shares the AJ's fat lower two back braces (they are high and thin on the J45TV). The neck profiles vary, with the J35 having a more rounded, beefier feeling profile, while the J45TV's neck is flatter.

My J45TV has a fatter low end and is sweeter; the J35 has a chimier upper register and brassier mids. It's a little drier than the J45TV, too. Go figure. Even though they are somewhat individual sounding, it's clear these siblings are from the same family. Both are guitars that listeners sit up and take notice of. They are both very responsive and explosive, too.

The build quality of the Fuller's J35 in particular is immaculate. It's finished beautifully, too. In particular, I love the old-style, small burst on the front, and that the sides and back are stained lighter than the J45's, to accentuate the beautiful wood grain.

Hope you continue to enjoy yours!

Red 333

Red,

Any chance you could make some comparison recordings of your various slope-shouldered Gibsons? I'd love to hear the tonal differences/similarities between them.

All the best,

Guth

I'm with Guth. That would be interesting. And thanks, Red, your description of the differences between the 35 and 45; I think that also answers OWF's request for specs (above). My 35 is only now beginning to be played a lot and I imagine I can hear the adi top opening up daily. Ce

Red' date='

Any chance you could make some comparison recordings of your various slope-shouldered Gibsons? I'd love to hear the tonal differences/similarities between them.

All the best,

Guth[/quote']

I wish I could, but I don't have anything to record on.

Red 333

Archived