Gibson Brands Forums

Strat pickup recommendations

Silenced Fred

For just any sound, I don't have any specifics yet, would I be better off going with just a standard set up with regular output strat pickups, or a "frankenstrat" set up with a P90 style single coil (seymour duncan quarter pound) in the bridge, a standard output in the middle, and a hot for strat (16k output) in the neck. I am looking for versatility, but I also want to retain that sound. Advice?

I'm not going to pretend I understand your little bit on the output of the pickups, in that department I'm completley clueless. I just try em, and decide if I like em. I don't go into much detail.

I suggest trying out something with Tex-Mex's in it, they're in my new strat and I love them. Give em a whirl, you might just love em.

EMG sells some prewired pickguards with active single coils or HSS config' date=' I'd go with one of them.[/quote']

I don't wanna deal with batteries...

And dem00n- I lost my account info, don't really care to find it again. I never really got any help over there with the topics I posted

For just any sound' date=' I don't have any specifics yet, would I be better off going with just a standard set up with regular output strat pickups, or a "frankenstrat" set up with a P90 style single coil (seymour duncan quarter pound) in the bridge, a standard output in the middle, and a hot for strat (16k output) in the neck. I am looking for versatility, but I also want to retain that sound. Advice?[/quote']

The purple Lace Sensor is designed to mimic the sound of P90s. Hot golds I believe are their best seller. You can double up on all of them to fit a HB route. Look up Xhefri's guitars. He does custom wiring for all things Lace. Tell him I sent you. He knows me from the Fender forum.

For just any sound' date=' I don't have any specifics yet, would I be better off going with just a standard set up with regular output strat pickups, or a "frankenstrat" set up with a P90 style single coil (seymour duncan quarter pound) in the bridge, a standard output in the middle, and a hot for strat (16k output) in the neck. I am looking for versatility, but I also want to retain that sound. Advice?[/quote']

Ok so you want versitility - that's cool and that is what I normally go for.

On my home brew strat this is what I did - I hope it gives you some ideas.

Bridge = Seymour Duncan lil 59

Middle = Fender single coil from an old '72 strat (I had it laying around)

Neck = Fender single from a 25th anniversary (had it laying around)

The key to versitility is in the switch and/or switching system. I used a Mega Switch from Stew Mac. I wired it as follows:

1. Bridge Humbucking

2. Bridge single + Middle

3. Bridge single + neck

4. Middle + Neck

5. Neck

If I ever get around to working on this guitar again I think I will make the 3rd position turn on all 3 pups. Also if I had the $$ I would buy different middle and neck pups - vintage rails or duck buckers... not sure right at the moment though.

Stew Mac also sells a Super Switch which is supposed to have more wiring capabilities.

You could consider having all three pups as single coil sized humbuckers and add 3 switches to cut each coil individually. The possibilities may not be endless, but there are a LOT of different options.

EDIT: I know you were asking about pick-up recommendations but I think the key to versitility is in the switching system no matter what brand of pup you use and especially if you buy a 4 conductor wire pup (specifically humbucking).

Archived