Gibson Brands Forums

A nice weekend

Flight959

live just a stone's throw from an old WWII RAF Station Biggin Hill.. Its an international civillian Airport now.. Every year they have the Biggin Hill airshow.. I popped over the road and took some pics.... I think my hearing is gone!

Here's a couple of pics... Let's start with the F-16... I can't believe how dated its starting to look....

ebay006-2.jpg

ebay036.jpg

ebay027.jpg

B-17 Bomber

ebay133.jpg

ebay131.jpg

Lancaster Bomber

ebay130.jpg

Spitfire

ebay050.jpg

RAF Tornado

ebay113.jpg

ebay100.jpg

ebay064.jpg

Last is may Favourite!

Eurofighter Typhoon

ebay048.jpg

ebay061.jpg

ebay071.jpg

ebay072.jpg

ebay073.jpg

ebay074.jpg

ebay085.jpg

ebay092.jpg

ebay121.jpg

Regards

The Spitfire flew earlier in the day with the Typhoon but I wasnt around to get any pics of it... It's amazing really to think how many of these aircraft were still around at the end of the war in comparison to how many are flying today... It costs over a million pounds just to run.... [biggrin]

There are only two Lancasters flying today... The one pictured and one in Canada...

Regards

Great pics, Flight!

I'm just a couple of miles down the road from Biggin Hill myself (as you know, flight).

The Tornado did a very low level pass on it's approach to the airfield and almost took the cherries off our tree at the bottom of the garden!

It was flying so fast there was almost no audible warning that it was about to pass immediately overhead. I was out dead-heading the rose-bushes and almost shat myself....

I've never heard anything that loud!

There is nothing in the world like the sound of the Rolls Royce Merlin engine on a Spitfire. I live about 20m from Duxford and they fly over my house every now and then.

I grew up in Newbury near RAF Greenham Common in the 70s. Until Maggie and Ronnie decided to base US cruise missiles there, the USAF used to hold the most amazing air show each year. Possibly the loudest sound I have ever heard is watching a Vulcan take off into a near vertical climb. And having watched it a few times, I still don't understand how a B52 can actually take off.

I was in a band with a mate, with 3 US airmen based there for a while. In the summer the base would have family days and we would play to a very appreciative crowd. The songs about going home were always popular. Great people and great times.

Once the cruise missiles arrived you couldn't get near the place unless you were a protestor on benefit, with several kids and rather flexible personal hygiene routines and sexual preferences.

I've been a fan of America, its people and way of life ever since. And in particular its armed forces.

BTW if you haven't visited Duxford, it's well worth a visit. You can see all the restoration projects up close. The American Museum there is jaw dropping. How they got so many aircraft in 1 place defies logic. Duxford was a large US base during WWII and the American Museum was built to commemorate the 000s of US airmen who gave their lives.

Sorry about the ramble.

Great pics BTW Flight.

Those planes are pretty sweet, but if the Canadian Government had been a little stronger than a limp wet noodle you'd all be enjoying these over your skies

avro_arrow.jpg

Oh well, that's still cool. Did you get that close or is it just a really good zoom on your camera?

Albert John.... I agree.... The Vulcan XH558 is a spectacle to behold... It was meant to be here this year, but it was behind on service updates so wasn't given the thumbs up for this weekend... [angry]

Here's the website for it... http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Did you ever see Concorde take off??? That in IMO was the 8th wonder of the world...

These pictures were taken using my Cannon D400 with a 75-300mm lense...

Regards

Albert John.... I agree.... The Vulcan XH558 is a spectacle to behold... It was meant to be here this year' date=' but it was behind on service updates so wasn't given the thumbs up for this weekend... [angry']

Here's the website for it... http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Did you ever see Concorde take off??? That in IMO was the 8th wonder of the world...

These pictures were taken using my Cannon D400 with a 75-300mm lense...

Regards

No never saw Concorde take off in the flesh. I used to go to The Oval quite regularly and the crowd would always applaude when Concorde flew over on it's way to New York.

They have one of the test Concordes at Duxford that you can go in and have a mouch about in. It's seems much smaller inside.

At work so can't view your photos but will have a look with great interest when I get home.

Totally agree about the Typhoon. I work just outside Southend and they have a show on May bank holiday. On the Friday afternoon in the office we were treated to a spectacular display from a Typhoon, warming up for the weekend.

Spooky. We have the same camera and lense!

Cheers mate.

Archived