Gibson Brands Forums

Philosophy on todays Rock Guitarists and a wicked SG

That's right hellbound, Unknown Hinson is the man.

There used to be a video available on Guitar Player.com where he played several songs. It's gone now.

But his playing on Fishcamp Woman is some of the best I've ever heard or seen. The guy is a genius.

I've been waiting for him to come to California for two years now. Been in contact with his management company too.

Bought his live album. It's a good rocking fun album.

Anyway, glad to see you know a good guitar player when you see one.

Unknown is very talented.

He's a great guitarist and all, but what I find strange is that Stu can make a comment about today's 15 years old kids and their approach to the guitar, but will play Jimi Hendrix covers[confused] ...... I started playing guitar around the Jimi Hendrix period, and all the guys that were older (like Stu is now) would say that was noise and such[angry] ..... it used to piss me off.

So here comes Stu now pontificating about 15 year old kids doing the same thing he did when he was probably their age, and still doing it now...... I guess Stu forgot that Jimi was the heavy metal god for 15 year old kids of the late 60's and early 70's:-k

Don't get me wrong, I don't get some of today's metal / rock. But then again I certainly don't expect a 15 year old to see eye to eye with a old guy like me on most things[biggrin]

Closed minded people piss me off. They just think music needs to follow the same bullshit rules and certain music doesn't take any talent. What I say is **** them! Say Buckethead's music doesn't take any talent, then try to shred at 20 nps. Later you might hear him play bluegrass, classical, country, funk, etc. That would surprise the **** out of you.

There is no talent to that at all' date=' its lifeless notes being played as fast as you can and its total crap. The only thing that guy did to make him famous is the bucket. There are thousands out there that can play just like him but did not wear a bucket. And good Ole Buckethead is known not for his playing; but the bucket.

[/quote']

No need to rehash old arguments jocko...its all good. We disagree but i will not argue with you on it....

For anyone who's been around the forum for the last couple of years, you know I like Unknown Hinson. Most specifically I like his schtick. That's his stage persona. He's the King of the Western Troubadours. If you've ever done any research on him, he's quite the character and one hell of a guitar player/teacher.

Look forward to seeing him when he comes to California. I think I'd have a good time at one of his shows and that is what it's all about.

[cool]

Haha. Hinson, for me, is wrong and right. Even though I am in my teens now, I feel as if music has lost its... soul [is that the right word?] I listen to songs on the radio on a modern music channel and wonder where it all went. I wonder to myself "How'd we go from Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Al Green, Ray Charles, etc etc. to Lil Wayne, Drake, and all tht other crap techno music" I might listen to modern music for dancing, but to listen just to listen, its crap!!!

And you know Metal, even though appreciate the technicality and the knowledge of the fretboard of a few Metal players, most I don't care for... like Herman Li. And while not every guitarist can play as fast or with as much knowledge of muscial theory as someone like Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen [who I listen to a lot], it's not about speed, it's about soul and feel. And both players still play a lot of Blues Rock, and both slow it down as well. Speed for the sake of speed, in guitar playing, is crap. And you'll find that in just about every Death Metal band.

Archived