Gibson Brands Forums

World cup fiasco.

LarryUK

I'm not a football fan. But this world cup is a joke. The England goal. Argentina off side. All the diving and cheating. It must be that the people that run football don't understand technology. Stupid old men. Does American sport suffer the same backward rules? Tennis has tech to help and it stops arguments.

I'm not a football fan. But this world cup is a joke. The England goal. Argentina off side. All the diving and cheating. It must be that the people that run football don't understand technology. Stupid old men. Does American sport suffer the same backward rules? Tennis has tech to help and it stops arguments.

Blame your countrymen - the IFAB that makes the rules for football has 8 members - four are from FIFA, the other four are England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. 6 of the 8 board members have to agree on rules changes so guess who kills most of the changes? (I'll give you a hint - it's not the FIFA members)

I became a fan this year. American sports (at least the major sports) have all caught up with technology and use it to settle disputes. Since America is fairly new to embracing soccer, there was an outcry after our goal was recalled but not a do or die voracious one. There have been many guffaws by the refs at the world cup this year and replays should be allowed - there is no excuse I think. One thing's for sure, Ghana was the better team after everything was said and done and it looked to me so was Germany.

Does American sport suffer the same backward rules?

You have never watched NBA basketball, have you? Makes the dives in European football look like sportsmanship.

And the NHL caught some of that virus this year. The officiating for both the Detroit/San Jose and the Chicago/San Jose series was a joke! How does San Jose go from one of the most penalized teams in the league to squeaky clean angels overnight? Please tell me this will not happen again.

You have never watched NBA basketball' date=' have you? Makes the dives in European football look like sportsmanship.

And the NHL caught some of that virus this year. The officiating for both the Detroit/San Jose and the Chicago/San Jose series was a joke! How does San Jose go from one of the most penalized teams in the league to squeaky clean angels overnight? Please tell me this will not happen again. [/quote']

Well spoken.

... Does American sport suffer the same backward rules?...

Yes.

In American Football and baseball, they do /did at times allow instant replay to be used to review calls and change as necessary. But, it usually extended the game times. The argument against using video replay is that human error on the part of the officials is part of the game. At the professional level, officials replay the games and critique theme selves. If an official is blowing too many calls, he is dis-invited to participate in any more games.

In local little league and unprofessional adult games officials usually are either voluteers or poorly paid. WHen I've officiated a game and a fan gets to abusive towards me or other officials. I just head to the stands, remind the abusive fan that I am not paid and offer the loud-mouth the opportunity to change places. I've had no takers and it usually shuts them up. While I've never had to, I always have the legal option to call the sheriff and have the abusive fan removed from the park.

However, at the pro level, at a 'cup' game, since millions of dollars to the winning team members are at stake, instant replay should be used. If they are not going to allow instant replays to help the officials, I say, for the safety of the fans, ban the replay at the game stadium.

If England's goal had been allowed they may well still be in the competition. It was clearly a goal. As said in previous posts. There's too much money at stake in sport now to rely on one man. I believe that if a player dives and is sent off for it, it would lead to a better game.

I have this theory that soccer/football is as real as real as WWE wrestling.

You think they'll leave the amount of money it moves to chance or a team's talent? I don't think so.

I think it's a joke too, Italy, the current world champion doesn't make it to stage 2 WTF!!!??[thumbup]

Thank God I don't care about that or any other sport.

Archived