Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Canada Day

dleth

If you are so inclined, how do you spend your Canada day?

We usually load a bunch of people decked out in Canada garb onto the truck in the photo below and cruise downtown Ottawa singing happy birthday to anyone who cares to listen or join. Participation is usually excellent. Can't cruise Parliament hill any more though. Bummer. We then head back to my place for a BBQ and party.

NewJosphine.jpg

The truck is a 1927 Sanford which was originally in service in Syracuse, NY

Dave

Have a great party!

Just out of curiosity; does the 'French' contingent over there celebrate Bastille Day?

Don't hear much about that here but St Jean Baptiste day is huge in the province of Quebec. That was last week I believe.

Unfortunately, it has come to represent the separatist movement to many and in some areas brings out the anti-English sentiment.

I proudly have a Canada flag front license plate on my car and was asked to remove it by the police chief of Trois Rivieres, Quebec a number of years ago on St Jean Baptiste day for our own safety. We were on a cross Canada tour with 3 antique fire engines at the time. I was on the truck in the picture with my father in law with all of the provincial flags flying and we were harassed by a bunch of drunken imbeciles. Our safety was definitely in question.

Too bad. I've lived most of my life in the province of Quebec as an anglophone with some french language abilities and have no intension of leaving.

Dave

Don't hear much about that here but St Jean Baptiste day is huge in the province of Quebec. That was last week I believe.

Unfortunately' date=' it has come to represent the separatist movement to many and in some areas brings out the anti-English sentiment.

I proudly have a Canada flag front license plate on my car and was asked to remove it by the police chief of Trois Rivieres, Quebec a number of years ago on St Jean Baptiste day for our own safety. We were on a cross Canada tour with 3 antique fire engines at the time. I was on the truck in the picture with my father in law with all of the provincial flags flying and we were harassed by a bunch of drunken imbeciles. Our safety was definitely in question.

Too bad. I've lived most of my life in the province of Quebec as an anglophone with some french language abilities and have no intension of leaving.

Dave

[/quote']

Happy Birthday Canada!

I say let them secede. KSDADDY can then lead the 2nd Maine National Guard into the new land an annex it into the State of Maine. Then they can learn a new language.... and I don't mean English. [laugh]

Just curious... [crying] What is "Canadia garb"? Blue denim pants and a red checked flannel shirt? as evidenced by the Olympics closing ceremonies? Who dresses in the Beaver suit?

[wink]

Just out of curiosity; does the 'French' contingent over there celebrate Bastille Day?

Why would they? Quebec cut ties to France before the French Revolution and as a result strengthened their connection with the Vatican. La Belle Province is still very Catholic, isn't it? But what do I know? I am three generations American on my Quebecois side.

Unfortunately' date=' it has come to represent the separatist movement to many and in some areas brings out the anti-English sentiment.

Dave

[/quote']

WOW!

That's quite shocking. It's not as if you were out trying to stir up trouble or anything silly.

Even over here patriotic 'Jingoism' has been on the ascendency for quite a few years now. The flag of St. George has been embraced not only by the truly patriotic England sporting fan but also by the right-wing racists out looking to cause trouble.

I believe the Saltire Cross (the cross of St Andrew of Scotland) has also had the same effect - although on a smaller scale - north of the border.

Happy Canada Day!

I miss living on the border. We used to combine the fireworks show and festivities for one massive blowout. Why not? The two celebrations are three days apart.

Just curious... What is "Canadia garb"? Blue denim pants and a red checked flannel shirt? as evidenced by the Olympics closing ceremonies? Who dresses in the Beaver suit.

The blue denim and flannel shirt/jacket is my evening and weekend getup. A little streriotypical but darn comfortable. Pretty much all red and white with maple leafs on Canada day. Following is the back end of the truck with my daughter and a friend when they were in their early teens. She's almost 22 now and still dons the captain canada gear.

Captain20Canada.jpg

Dave

Happy Canada Day to you all....

Haha we don't all sit up here and say "EH" all the time. Typical stero type, it was the Machenize brothers that gave us that stero type lmao...

BTW, we have real beer up here,,,,just sayin [biggrin]

swleary - i lived in seattle for 3 years and the beer there kicked canadian's beers ***. I think Canadians have a false idea that ALL American beer is ****e....not true...not true at all!

You are Canadian' date=' don't jump a fellow canuck eh......you are only 1.5 hours from me and I could take the 401 to come to Toronto lmao j/k

I know, I do like a Budweiser and a Coors.....I don't even really touch beer, I'm more of a Rye drinker [biggrin

You are Canadian' date=' don't jump a fellow canuck eh......you are only 1.5 hours from me and I could take the 401 to come to Toronto lmao j/k

I know, I do like a Budweiser and a Coors.....I don't even really touch beer, I'm more of a Rye drinker [biggrin

LOL! Yeah...i'm not jumpin on ya...but I think most canadians feel we have better beer than ALL of the USA....really not true like i said...just trying to edumacate ya!! [biggrin]

Bud? Coors? Those are good examples of bad American beer....i'm talkin Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada, Red Hook etc....Microbrews out west!

LOL! Yeah...i'm not jumpin on ya...but I think most canadians feel we have better beer than ALL of the USA....really not true like i said...just trying to edumacate ya!! [biggrin]

Bud? Coors? Those are good examples of bad American beer....i'm talkin Fat Tire' date=' Sierra Nevada, Red Hook etc....Microbrews out west! [/quote']

Fat tire? that's an interesting name.....kinda like if you drink too much beer lol..

If I do have a beer, it's a Rickard's . Made by Molson but it's forsure not a Canadian beer.

I like how Bud finishes, not much of an after taste.At least not for me....

Now get back to work, you big meany lol

Archived