Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Sg Bfg

davidandrew

Hey everyone I am pretty interested in the options that the les paul bfg has to offer with the p-90 in the neck and bustbucker at the bridge. But I feel alot more comfortable playing an SG would this mod be difficult to do on a SG classic or a standard ? Love to hear your guys feedback on it aswell maybe a few of you have already done this mod and can tell me what you think.

With the large pickguard, you can put any pickup you want in it. You may have to route for it, but I believe the pickup cavities are oversized on modern SGs. It's just a matter of getting a pickguard cut with two different pickup routes.

I can't say for sure, since I don't have an SG, but from photos I've seen, the pickup routes are larger than necessary for the pickups. You may have to route out extra if you want to mount the P-90 with tabs, but if you do a regular wood-mount (which is how the BFG is, rather than the SG Classic which has the tabs), the P-90 should fit. A P-90 is about the width of a humbucker including the tabs.

yeah I think just going p-90 soap bar with no tabs is the best Idea then go with the bustbucker in the bridge. Only problem I would have is getting a pickguard custom made. Probably just pick up a faded special for a few hundred and mod that.

It's fairly simple but the p90 won't just drop in. The p90 is obviously the hard part. You will have to route the pickup cavity in the body to be slightly wider to accomodate the p90. Then you'll have to drill holes for the screws to go into the body but if you're not careful you can punch a hole through the back of the guitar. Then of course you'll have to wire it up.

The BFG has a Burstbucker 3 at the bridge position. I have one in my SG and I love the tone.

GuitarJunkie made a thread a long time ago about how he modded a V to have two p90s. It was really detailed with pics and good explanations of how to do it.

Archived