Gibson Brands Forums

He's Claiming it a R9

GibsonAlmighty

Dave, yes, they did. They also made '59 reissues before 2003 but those were later dubbed "pre-historics" because the historic series was launched in 1993. The serial number here is 3 2049. All historic R9s have serial numbers that begin with 9.

I don't understand the number.

My 1995 'Historic Division' follows the usual X YZZZ where X = re-issue year, Y = year of manufacture and ZZZ = individual number.

As far as I'm concerned the typeface is too large for the 'Historic Division' reissues from this time. My '95s number is smaller and I don't believe it changed in size between '93 and '95.

Anything starting 3 XXXX is very odd unless it's a '53 re-issue...:-k

Unless it's a badly impressed 9 2049? A 1992 '59 R9? But I doubt it.

It looks more like a '93 '1960 Classic' Premium-Plus with covered p-ups.

The script for MODEL is more like that found on Classics.

It's certainly not right for a Re-issue but the early R's were far more 'hand-made' than those coming after '93 and variations to exact (normal) specs are not uncommon.

Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.

The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000.

Pups are an easy swap.

That's a '93 Classic Premium, NOT a "'59 Reissue". I can tell by the look of the top and the shape of the neck heel, which is too small to be a "'59 profile". The serial number is also a dead giveaway.:-k

Here's the model name "LPR-HSNH" which = Les Paul (L) Premium (PR) - Heritage Sunburst (HS) Nickel Hardware (NH). If it were a "Reissue" it would be something like "LPRI-HSBNH1" or something to that effect. Another thing that strikes me odd is how shiny/new the hardware is after almost 20 years of existance? I don't care HOW good you take care of it, unless it's sitting in a climate-controlled vault, it's going to get tarnished/oxidized!

Either this guy is trying to scam someone, or he knows absolutely nothing about Gibson LPs?[angry]

Dave' date=' yes, they did. They also made '59 reissues before 2003 but those were later dubbed "pre-historics" because the historic series was launched in 1993. The serial number here is 3 2049. All historic R9s have serial numbers that begin with 9.[/quote']

I thought that 3 was a 9, that's why I said the serial number looked correct... Still looks like a 9 to me....:-k

Archived