Gibson Brands Forums

Lookin to get that Zepplin/Sabbath sound...

Just to shut everyone up.

Look at this' date=' this is a real chart of "metal"

http://trickledown.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/hmngp9.jpg[/quote']

"Early Metal"....Jimi Hendrix....The Stooges.....LOL!

You may as well invent this as "metal" too

Earliest Metal - Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry.....geez, (roll eyes)

I really dig that Elvis Metal, man he had the brutals! [crying]

"Early Metal"....Jimi Hendrix....The Stooges.....LOL!

You may as well invent this as "metal" too

Earliest Metal - Robert Johnson' date=' Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry.....geez, (roll eyes)

I really dig that Elvis Metal, man he had the brutals! [crying

I dont think you understand it.

Early Metal is a other saying of influcing the heavy metal genre.

There are bands that are in the metal genre that arent metal but have influenced it.

Thats how the metal hisorian thing works.

The punk bands and other non metal bands there are there because they were influenced from heavy metal and they are somewhat in the circle of heavy metal.

AC/DC isnt metal...but they are apart of it since they influenced it heavly.

Thats how it all works!

I dont think you understand it.

Early Metal is a other saying of influcing the heavy metal genre.

There are bands that are in the metal genre that arent metal but have influenced it.

Thats how the metal hisorian thing works.

The punk bands and other non metal bands there are there because they were influenced from heavy metal and they are somewhat in the circle of heavy metal.

AC/DC isnt metal...but they are apart of it since they influenced it heavly.

Thats how it all works!

Oh, I understand it, I just think labeling those bands as "Metal" is a misnomer. Which is the point I'm making.

Yes, they godfathered the metal genre - but they weren't metal.

I was aiming more towards a Led Zepplin II/Paranoid sound.

Tele's, SG's, and Les Pauls through a Fuzz Face into Marshall. Using the marshall for Overdrive and the Fuzz to kick in the Iommi Sustain or that "How Many More Times" sound.

In all fairness, however, Pages Tele had a very rough voice. It growled more than your average tele, so I think you'd be safe with a Classic Humbucker Equipped Guitar (SG, LP what have you) into a Marshall type amp.

Oh' date=' I understand it, I just think labeling those bands as "Metal" is a misnomer. Which is the point I'm making.

Yes, they godfathered the metal genre - but they weren't metal.

[/quote']

Thats the reason historians dont get into the metal genre.

Its such hard thing to understand and sort out.

The argument of what is metal and what isnt will always be.

But pop and rap have the same problem to.

...Am I the only one who has considered that maybe questions like "What genre is this?" or "Who influenced _________?" don't really matter?

I just...I don't know. Doesn't the fact that genre can be so easily confused and so hard to classify almost make it a moot point?

Whatever. I'm just confus.

cat_im_confus.jpg

EDIT: In response to the topic...I agree with FirstMeasure. You're best off with a humbucker-equipped guitar into a Fuzz Face (or similar) pedal, run through a low- or medium-gain amp.

Just a quick note. The term metal did not exist til around the mid 70's. Some music was catecorized as one genre and when the term Heavy Metal caught on some music was recatecorized as Heavy Metal. Even Sammy Hagar thought he was playing heavy metal in the late 70's early 80's. He even wrote a song about it. I personally don't think Hagar met the criteria to be labeled as such, but if it exceeded the hard rock labeling it was considered heavy metal. Genres of music have changed every decade or so and will probably continue doing so.

Fuzz Face into a Marshall, eh? I'd better start saving up, lol. I just don't know if my el-cheapo Epi would pull it off with the crappy 700T/650R pickups that came with it. Guess I will have choose the right combo of 57 Classics/Burstbuckers. And on the topic of "Who is Metal, and who isn't", I will say this. Led Zepplin: I always saw them as a " Early Prototype" to Heavy Metal, but still a blues/rock band nonetheless. Black Sabbath: No doubt about this, one of the first true Heavy Metal bands. And correct me if Im wrong but, didn't Iommi once say that Page was one of his infulences?

Never hurts to upgrade your pickups. And I should have said Marshall or Marshall-like, one that gets a lot of Punchy Mids and Smooth Gain. Doesn't "Have" to be a Marshall. Fender or Fender-like amps have a more cutting tone with crisper Mids and Highs, and a Rougher gain. Like Billy Gibbons.

Hi. Im looking for some advice on how to get a cross between Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath in terms of sound. Obviously' date=' I need a Tony Iommi Humbucker for starters. But then what? A 57 Classic? A Burstbucker? And I was thinking either some form of a Marshall or Mesa Boogie for an amp. Any suggestions are welcome.

[biggrin[laugh][lol]

Man, just get a good and heavy Les Paul, full of nice mahagony wood! Or a SG! Some 57 paf's,Seymour Duncan 59'ers or some Burstbuckers...

Plug this in a Marshall Vintage Modern with the zvex Box of Rock or the Rothwell Hellbender! That would be just what you want!

And if you want THE rael thing, the holy grail : a 59 les Paul trough an original 1959 SLP from Marshall, cranked up to 10!!! Voila, you got the tone!

And to the rest of the discussion : pffffffffff,borring!!!!!!! Metal is relatively new, so please, Cream,Hendrix,LedZep,Black Sabbath,ACDC....metal????? They didn't know about the term 'metal' when they started!!! Just good timeless Classic Rock! Blues Rock,....pure rock!

Every band has some 'heavier' songs, they are not heavy metal bands for that??!!

This is an endless discussion! For my grandma Elvis Presley is Heavy Metal! I think all those 'catalogs and charts are very subjective and based on some opinions of a couple of people having some discussions!

My grandma's chart would look very different and mine too! So, maybe there are as many charts as there are music-lovers out there!!!

Never hurts to upgrade your pickups. And I should have said Marshall or Marshall-like' date=' one that gets a lot of Punchy Mids and Smooth Gain. Doesn't "Have" to be a Marshall. Fender or Fender-like amps have a more cutting tone with crisper Mids and Highs, and a Rougher gain. Like Billy Gibbons.[/quote']

True. I was considering other amps like Orange and Mesa Boogie(one that would be suited to this kind of music of course).

Archived