Gibson Brands Forums

Building a Guitar Rack Stand (UPDATE 3)

Andre S

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/82000025/Images/27/261307.jpg

The necks will come through in the same way.

Except mine won't be collapsible....

I had some plywood left over...about a half of a sheet.

The tools I used were a handsaw, a trimming plane, a drill and screwdrivers, hammer and....one or two other hand tools.

Here's some pics.

The first one shows the base, I was testing that rounded piece of wood to see if I liked it there....I decided against it and I will use some excess material left from the top to put a bar across there.

DSCN2756.jpg

Day 2

Sorry for the bad angle. I accidently deleted the pic and didn't take another....there'll be others....

This one shows all the sides cut out and put together to see how it fit.....the others show a few gaps that were there because it wasn't set together perfectly.

DSCN2760.jpg

That excess on the top will be cut out and set on the front base.

DSCN2761.jpg

DSCN2762.jpg

Day 3

I got one pair of brackets and attached the back to the base....I only bought one for now to see how it worked and fit.

Tomorrow I'll get the others and the screws.

I also bought some soft cloth for the interior....Later on I will order some tolex for the exterior for StewMac...

DSCN2765.jpg

You are doing way more than I am willing to do. I'm gonna build a simple one using like 7 pieces of 2X4 and some dowel rod.

Lol

Yea....but I did get a new handsaw....and even though sawing out a 30'' by 25'' piece of ply doesn't sound fun, the new handsaw really made it fly!

I could have asked a carpenter to cut it out for me....but I figured it would be more fun to do it myself.....hopefully tomorrow I will be able to mount the interior material.

I'm looking at the same kind of project. But I want the kind where it takes 8 cased guitars. Don't have the room for a guitar stand and then have to store my guitar cases some place else.

Daveinspain has one.....maybe you could get plans from him and extend as necessary.

This is an interesting topic because everyone is likely to have a different idea for a guitar rack/stand that will work for them. I've already seen some nice set-ups in other posts by other players. I've been toying with the idea of using white PVC tubes of thick enough diameter to support the guitar cases. The stuff is easy to cut, there are right angle pieces, and all you have to do is glue it together. Anyone else have a similar idea?

Today I got the rest of the bracing and screws and finished assembling the entire unit.

DSCN2766.jpg

I may have overdone it with the bracing....but oh well......[cool]

On the bottom of the stand I put some thick fluffy towel to protect the bottom of the stands...Some also went on the sides. This was mainly to protect the guitar from the braces which did stick out a bit.

DSCN2767.jpg

I used thumbtacks to hold it in...They hold fairly well.

Then I covered one side with the final interior material.

DSCN2768.jpg

I also have to neaten up certain areas, such as that puffy part in the pic above.

This will also be the colour for the rest of the interior...Unfortunately I ran out of thumbtacks so thats as far as I reached today.

I also forgot to cut the slots for the necks on the top piece before putting on the cloth so I will have to vacuum out the sawdust that will fall..

Not a big problem, hopefully I will be able to finish it and have it ready for use by tomorrow.

The outside will remain how it is for a while because I am not ordering anything online right now.

Keep up the carpentry work' date=' and it will reward you as you get better at it. Yes your shelf bracket system is a little unorthodox, but you can learn how

to build things more professionaly as you go.[/quote']

Unorthodox.....ha

That thing is solid.

By unorthodox though, do you mean that it is overdone/untidy or it wasn't the best thing to use to join the 1/2" ply?

May I suggest you use some kind of padding (like that stuff under carpet) and use an adhesive to attatch the red fabric? You can get a can of spray adhesive made for upholstery for a few bucks. It's a nice looking way to apply fabric. I used some in my car and it came out great. It looks legit

May I suggest you use some kind of padding (like that stuff under carpet) and use an adhesive to attatch the red fabric? You can get a can of spray adhesive made for upholstery for a few bucks. It's a nice looking way to apply fabric. I used some in my car and it came out great. It looks legit

It wouldn't soak the fabric? Remember the guitars will be resting against it?

But even if it won't I won't change it just yet....Maybe later on if the thumbtacks don't work....

If they start popping out or there is someother flaw with using them then I will change.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Unorthodox.....ha

That thing is solid.

By unorthodox though' date=' do you mean that it is overdone/untidy or it wasn't the best thing to use to join the 1/2" ply?[/quote']

How does Marshall join there plywood ?

I learned just like you and even used a brick to pound nails on my tree forts.

Now, I am a carpenter with 35 years exp if ya count me from your stage .. www.schmidtservicegroup.com

How does Marshall join there plywood ?

I learned just like you and even used a brick to pound nails on my tree forts.

Now' date=' I am a carpenter with 35 years exp if ya count me from your stage .. www.schmidtservicegroup.com

[/quote']

Oh, you mean like this?

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/timberjoints4/finger1.gif

But this was built with only hand tools except a drill....and I don't have a router.

I thought this was easier.

OH heck I'm not going to finger joint anything either..........

...............Wood glue and screws...........pilot drill the screw holes.........

I applaud your work so don't get me wrong. We are similar in that I just do stuff the best I can cause I want it done and screw however other folks do it.

OH heck I'm not going to finger joint anything either..........

...............Wood glue and screws...........pilot drill the screw holes.........

I applaud your work so don't get me wrong. We are similar in that I just do stuff the best I can cause I want it done and screw however other folks do it.

I would have did it that way but I thought it would have split the wood, so I preferred the braces.

Yup...I did it the way I felt comfortable.

This is the very first thing I have ever built though....with no help in construction and no power tools (but the drill for the screw holes)....so I am very happy with the results.

there is a little space where the top meets the sides because the back is 1/4 " too high but I didn't feel to plane down 25" of wood...so I left it, no biggie.

Tomorrow it will be usable if I get the tacks....

Can't wait to see what I can build next, though the thing that got me started on this was the half sheet of plywood that was left over after some cupboard shelves at home were replaced.

This is an interesting topic because everyone is likely to have a different idea for a guitar rack/stand that will work for them. I've already seen some nice set-ups in other posts by other players. I've been toying with the idea of using white PVC tubes of thick enough diameter to support the guitar cases. The stuff is easy to cut' date=' there are right angle pieces, and all you have to do is glue it together. Anyone else have a similar idea?[/quote']

Not a bad idea. Sch 40 PVC ( The white pipe) will probably be to flimsy to handle the weight. You can use Sch 80 PVC ( grey pipe) and have a sturdy enough pipe for the weight.

I'm sure you have seen this, I have posted it several times... This design works great. Takes up the least amount of space and holds the most guitars... I did this to hold 6 guitars but I was limited to six guitars only because of the space where I was going to place it. This could be made to hold 4, 6, 8, or 10... or maybe more but it's going to start getting big after that. This design also lets you see all the guitars at a glance and it's very easy to make your selection, pull the guitar out and put it back when you're done...[confused]

DSC03492.jpg

DSC03493.jpg

GuitarFurniture.jpg

DSC03486.jpg

DSC03487.jpg

Hey Steve... I'll have to look for the paper that has my notes on it from when I did that project... If I can't find it i'll just make some measurements for you. There is no big mystery though... What you see in the pics is what you get. You could make it to your own measurements and be all set. When I did mine I just measured the guitar cases and made the sections just big enough so the cases would fit and go in and out easily...

Archived