Gibson Brands Forums

Driver's Ed

SGplayer1994

Has anybody had to deal with this? Being that I live in Georgia, I got a permit when I was 15, and now that I'm almost 16 and ready for a full license, they want me to educate me on driving, AFTER being on the road for almost a year. Not only do I have to complete all the silly practice exercises (over 20, minimum 2 hours each) and have 40 hours of driving experience with a parent (both are done), I have to take a 30 hour online driving course. I completed the course already except for the final exam, which it won't let me take until I've been actively completing assignments for 30 hours. It only took me 16 hours to do the 10 modules, so guess I have to sit hear and repeat what I've already done again.....sigh.

Since we're talking about the DMV you're unlikely to get much sympathy, we all had to do. My thing with licenses is that if you live in county, or country with anual snow falls there needs to be safe winter driving courses. Most people can drive a car under normal or wet circumstances. But take someone who's never driven in snow, or someone who's from a country that doesn't have snow and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I believe some Northern European countries already require you to prove you know how a car moves in the snow before they issue you a license. I don't understand why Canada doesn't have a similar requirement at least.

Well' date=' even if you know everything there is to know, your insurance company might cut you some slack for having completed the training.

Do you pay for your own insurance?[/quote']

It's a Georgia law that I do the 30 hours, otherwise I wouldn't do it haha.

The insurance companies here only give you a discount for driving with an approved instructor for 6 hours, and for our company, the difference is a whopping $5 a month, so I'm not too concerned as far as that goes

Do you have to take an on-road test? That's the one I failed. The written ones were easy.

Sure don't haha. Georgia is red neck country and the people here are too dumb to realize that everybody just cheats the system anyways. Trust me, an on-road test would make the most sense in my opinion because they shouldn't care what I can do on paper, it should be about execution.

Since we're talking about the DMV you're unlikely to get much sympathy' date=' we all had to do. My thing with licenses is that if you live in county, or country with anual snow falls there needs to be safe winter driving courses. Most people can drive a car under normal or wet circumstances. But take someone who's never driven in snow, or someone who's from a country that doesn't have snow and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I believe some Northern European countries already require you to prove you know how a car moves in the snow before they issue you a license. I don't understand why Canada doesn't have a similar requirement at least. [/quote']

Well i just can't understand why I need to sit and waste 15 more hours sitting on something that I've already done with excellent scores. I've been sitting on the computer all day re-reading what I already did. Makes no sense to me that's all.

Because while you may be a good driver already, there are a lot of bad ones out there. They do this kind of stuff repeatedly, and while repeating themselves so that no one can say later "well no one told me"

It's true what they say about a few bad apples, makes the rest of us wait in line. And pay more on insurance. I think that's what they say anyway.

It's a Georgia law that I do the 30 hours' date=' otherwise I wouldn't do it haha.

The insurance companies here only give you a discount for driving with an approved instructor for 6 hours, and for our company, the difference is a whopping $5 a month, so I'm not too concerned as far as that goes[/quote']

Do us a favor and stay there for a couple of years.

Has anybody had to deal with this? Being that I live in Georgia' date=' I got a permit when I was 15, and now that I'm almost 16 and ready for a full license, they want me to educate me on driving, AFTER being on the road for almost a year. Not only do I have to complete all the silly practice exercises (over 20, minimum 2 hours each) and have 40 hours of driving experience with a parent (both are done), I have to take a 30 hour online driving course. I completed the course already except for the final exam, which it won't let me take until I've been actively completing assignments for 30 hours. It only took me 16 hours to do the 10 modules, so guess I have to sit hear and repeat what I've already done again.....sigh.[/quote']

well i know it's different around the world but over here in england...most accidents are caused by the 17-24 age group, and because of that it's a nightmare getting insurance if your young and us "mature" drivers have to pay a higher premium as a result of the high claims AND uninsured drivers...

buy a skateboard :-k

Haha. Hopefully you don't live near NYC that would be a horrible place to learn to drive.

Yes, it is a horrible place to learn to drive.

...Actually...Manhattan's a bad place to learn (at least to learn the basics--it's really quite good for experience with heavy traffic.) The outer boroughs are OK, though. Lots of nearly-empty parking lots.

Ok here is where I give my advice....lol

I think going through driver training is a great idea. Why? Because even though you've driven a year, you may have already picked up some bad habits. I think it would be beneficial to you in the short and long term of your driving experience.

I've been driving now for twenty years and I know I picked up stupid habits along the way but back in 2001 I went back to truck driving school. When I got done that, I drove transport trucks for a living. A lot of my habits went away because of driver training and it still holds today. It's your choice really but I've seen a lot of people killed on the highways, and it's not good to see a seventeen year old get crushed underneath a trailer because he failed to check his mirrors while merging on to the highway. Not trying to scare you but these things really do happen.

So my advice is, take drivers training.

Ok here is where I give my advice....lol

I think going through driver training is a great idea. Why? Because even though you've driven a year' date=' you may have already picked up some bad habits. I think it would be beneficial to you in the short and long term of your driving experience.

I've been driving now for twenty years and I know I picked up stupid habits along the way but back in 2001 I went back to truck driving school. When I got done that, I drove transport trucks for a living. A lot of my habits went away because of driver training and it still holds today. It's your choice really but I've seen a lot of people killed on the highways, and it's not good to see a seventeen year old get crushed underneath a trailer because he failed to check his mirrors while merging on to the highway. Not trying to scare you but these things really do happen.

So my advice is, take drivers training. [/quote']

Oh trust me, I did. Speaking of which I only have to fart around on it for 7 more hours so that I can take the final exam.

Alright guys here's my beloved car that I can't drive yet lol....

user29206_pic1794_1220115857.jpg

Only took me the last 5 years to work hard and save up for it.

It's incredible what a kid my age can earn mowing 8 yards a week.

8x$30=$240

Doing that about 15 weeks out of the year, for several years, and you have yourself a lot of cash haha

Is this oriented to defensive driving. That is a course everyone should have to pass. It's the other driver that will cause the accident if you are a good driver. Now factor in the fact that people are allowed to talk on cell phones while driving in most states. They are finding out that this causes more accidents than the impaired drivers. Now I am 50 yrs. old and when I started all that was required was passing a written test on the laws and a short driving sample which was a joke. If you were a farmer and were 14 yrs. old you got a special permit to drive on the road. Nowadays I see grandmas driving and talking on the cell phone at the same time. They are all over the road. They come to an intersection and stop look right at you wait until you are almost at the intersection then pull out. I also like the slam on the brakes make a turn then use the turn signal halfway thru the turn. Ugghh.

Rewd

Archived