Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan Live in Austin last night

Watchdogg

Just saw Bob last night for the first time at the Backyard when he kicked off his Summer 2010 tour in Austin last night. I have to admit other than his stint in the Traveling Wilburys I never have bought a Dillion record or been a huge fan , but even with his limited vocals his performance and band is amazing! I heard many say best performance by Mr.Dylan they have heard in years. His lead guitar player, John Sexton is a must hear. Sadly other than a Gibson SJ not played by Bob, its a electric only show. Will post some pictures later.

i got to do some shows with the arc angels back in the day. was wondering where charlie had been. now i know.

Got to say' date=' The Arc Angels are on the top of my list for bands I wish would get back together. Saw them and WOW,what a show?

Tommy Shannon,Chris Layton,Doyle Bramhall,and Charlie Sexton.[confused

I saw Dylan in the early 70's in Montreal. He played with his back to the audience most of the time. He spoke to the audience only once saying, "It's great to be in Montreal." That's it. No crowd banter, just straight sets. He played all the good ones, had a tight band, and sounded just like the albums. Those were his golden years. The songs he wrote back then were just amazing. I think, song wise, for the last 20 years he's just been phoning it in.....I did like his autobiographical book he wrote. He is a pen meister.....I don't think I'd pay to see him again.

Charlie Sexton on guitar? I might have to catch Dylan this time around.

Yep. He sat in with the band for a couple of tunes last year(in Texas I think?), and Bob asked him back. The first time I saw Bob he had Larry Campbell and Charlie in the band. That was my favorite Dylan line-up(except for The Band)!

Hmmmm...phoning it in the last 20 years? Time out of Mind' date=' Love and Theft, Modern Times and Together Through Life.

Man, I gotta start phoning it in![/quote']

Some good work. there.

MIB,

Your signature includes something called a '99 Gibson Y2K. What kind of guitar is that?

Red 333

Hey Red,

I haven't updated my signature in ages. Half those guitars are gone and whole new cast is in. That was my blonde Dwight Yoakam model. I'm sad to say it has a new owner now. But I have no doubt its getting more attention than I could ever afford to give it. I'm afraid several more unique models will be going up on the block soon to finance a Santa Cruz 1934D i've put on hold. I'm always trying to consolidate the collection into fewer, but more increasingly exotic instruments. I'll make sure to give the forum first crack at any of my departing beauties. (there may be some very rare custom Gibson's in the next batch. In flavors like cocobolo and brazilian with red spruce toppings).

Hmmmm...phoning it in the last 20 years? Time out of Mind' date=' Love and Theft, Modern Times and Together Through Life.

Man, I gotta start phoning it in![/quote']

Maninblack, I agree those are "good" songs......but nothing like his early work: Just like a woman, Knocking on Heaven's door, Like a Rolling stone, Mr. Tambourine man, Blowing in the wind.....etc,etc, etc.....those were GREAT songs, and I don't think he ever achieved this level of quality of output in his career again....

OWF, to each their own, but I'd put Nettie Moore, Mississippi, Trying to get to Heaven, Not Dark Yet and Workingman Blues right up there with the 60s stuff you mentioned in terms of quality and brilliance of execution. Cultural impact aside, I much prefer the style and sound of Love and Theft and Time out of Mind to anything from the 60s. Actually, I prefer every period of Dylan to the 60s version. Give me Street Legal or Oh Mercy or Good as I Been to You over Another side or Bringing it all Back Home any day of the week.

Eh...what am I arguing about...of course, I love all versions of Bob and am grateful for each. I just don't like to see the post-66 brilliance shortchanged in any way. He has never stopped making incredible music. Even his worst records have the stink of genius on them.

Archived