Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-185 TV. What's wrong here?

Peter Zed

Hi everyone

I'm tempted to bid on this gorgeous Gibson J-185 True Vintage model going pretty cheap (by UK standards) on Ebay. I had a 'standard' J-185 a few years back (stupidly sold it) and what I loved about it (besides how great it sounded) was the cool mother of pearl maltese cross inlays on the bridge. Strangely they are not here on this true vintage model. Does anyone know if some of these TV models don't have the inlays or is it possible this bridge has been changed?

Any advice would be appreciated before I make an offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-J-185-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-ANTIQUE-NATURAL-J185-MINT-/370417093717?pt=Guitar

Seems a bit pricey to me. My vintage guitar guide lists a 2007 J-185 in excellent condition being worth no higher than $1800 US.

The headstock logo looks a bit suspect. I've never seen one without the dot in the 'i" and the script looks fat. Although the current J-185 does not have the inlaid maltese crosses.

Acoustic.jpg

Here is the logo on a J-185 from the Gibson website:

91efa0a0-2c1d-4ec9-8109-e474e4ea0ec1.jpg

Here is the headstock logo from the eBay auction listing enlarged and enhanced. Why do you see the edges around the inlay? Seems odd to me.

Acoustic2.jpg

The headstock logo looks a bit suspect. I've never seen one without the dot in the 'i" and the script looks fat.

That is true there is no dot over the "i" but what I can't understand is why anyone would go to the trouble of making such a beautiful fake. There is obviously quality in that guitar and it looks like a Gibson. Gibson have been known to do things like change the logo etc. I'm interested to hear some more opinions on this one.

That missing 'i' in the headstock logo is odd?? I do know that some of them do NOT have the maltese crosses so that's not a big deal, as long as it's not a big deal to you. That is identical to mine except for the wooden inlay at the end strapbutton. Mine is also an antique natural finish. And the price seems high to me too. I'll tell you I paid $1950.00 Canadian for mine last year. Mine's a 2005 and has a Fishman Matrix Infinity pup in it, which I LOVE. I think I overpaid but I loved the guitar enough to buy it anyway. Mine DOES have maltese crosses and also came with that very beautiful BUT VERY HEAVY case. You could always make the guy/girl an offer?

at least on the J45s the serial number isn't in the headstock, only on the sticker and imprinted on the neck block (seen from the sound hole), it may be different on the J185s, i also thought they all had the crosses on the bridge.

Someone else will chime in on it i'm sure

That is identical to mine except for the wooden inlay at the end strapbutton.

Does yours not have the white inlay (plastic) from front to back at the strapbutton Karen? My J-185 12 does have that same inlay, but it had a different strap button (white plastic with a cross head screw in it . . . the button is gone now as I have an endpin jacksocket, but I still have the button and just took a look at it).

at least on the J45s the serial number isn't in the headstock' date=' only on the sticker and imprinted on the neck block (seen from the sound hole), it may be different on the J185s, i also thought they all had the crosses on the bridge.

[/quote']

My J-185 12 has the serial number stamped on the back of the headstock, like this one. They certainly have made various J-185's without Maltese Crosses, but I don't know why as this was one of the unique features of the model.

I would also say that that pink lined case is a hard (or strange) thing to fake. You can't just buy one of those off the shelf. They only come with the TV series correct?

The headstock logo is a head scratcher though. :)

I would also say that that pink lined case is a hard (or strange) thing to fake. You can't just buy one of those off the shelf. They only come with the TV series correct?

The headstock logo is a head scratcher though. :)

+1

The description is not of the same guitar' date=' it's been lifted from a website:

Jumbo sound. [b']Cutaway design.[/b]

Gibson J-185 Acoustic-Electric Guitar Features:

* Nickel Grover Rotomatic Tuners

* Crown Peghead Logo

* Rosewood Fingerboard with Rolled Edges and Split Parallelogram Inlays

* Fishman Aura Ellipse

* Gibson Logo

* Tapered Dovetail Neck Joint

* Radius Top

* Nitrocellulose Finish

and it also said Maltese Crosses, but that has now been removed.

Does yours not have the white inlay (plastic) from front to back at the strapbutton Karen? My J-185 12 does have that same inlay' date=' but it had a different strap button (white plastic with a cross head screw in it . . . the button is gone now as I have an endpin jacksocket, but I still have the button and just took a look at it).

[/quote']

Oh, is it plastic? I had no idea. No, I don't have that. Mine just ends, front-to-back, with the wooden sides. I don't know what the original strap button looked like because it already had the pickup in it when I bought it. Isn't it funny how they all have minor differences? I like the uniqueness of that.

Doug, I think they gave me the wrong case when I bought Lily. But who knows? I'm keeping my mouth shut :)

Oh' date=' is it plastic? I had no idea. No, I don't have that. Mine just ends, front-to-back, with the wooden sides. I don't know what the original strap button looked like because it already had the pickup in it when I bought it. Isn't it funny how they all have minor differences? I like the uniqueness of that.

[/quote']

Yes it's some sort of plastic (the same material as the binding). When the luthier drilled the hole after removing the old strap button all this red plastic came out, like they had used a red plastic plug in the end of the guitar for the strap button screw! She said she had never seen that before on a Gibson.

It is funny how they have so many different variations on things and it does make them unique!

Here's an interesting website for those of you that don't already know about it:

Fibsons.com

Some truly fugly fakes there!

In my websearch of images, I've only found two Gibson headstock logos missing the dot over the "i". One was the old script logo on a 30's mandolin and the other was the "repaired" headstock on a '69 SG.

Karen: Was Lily brand new? You'd think you should have had the brown/pink case with it.

As to this eBay item, I'd pass on it. For that kind of money you could go to a Gibson dealer and haggle for a new one for only a little bit more.

It looks the part with the exception of the bridge. I realize some newer J-185s don't have the crosses, but I think it's strange that they're missing in a 'True Vintage' model. Crosses were one of the most distinguishing features when this model first launched, so if Gibson is trying to recreate the original they missed a key detail on this one.

All other recent TV models that I've seen have had the crosses, so this may be an anomaly (or a unique mix between a TV and a Modern Classic, sold as the former). I know some TVs also came with a single-ply black truss rod cover, not the laminated one. But as with all things Gibson, they might have mixed this up from year to year or even guitar to guitar.

The missing dot on the logo is strange, but the visible lines around the inlay are relatively common.

The best thing would be to ask the seller if they have the paperwork as that would state the serial number and model name. If it doesn't say True Vintage on the paperwork then it is probably a straight J-185 in a TV case--and the sound would likely be what you are looking for either way.

Strange as well that there are no photos of the flame-- not a warning sign, just an oversight on the part of the seller.

Also' date=' where is the Fishman Aura Ellipse? You'd think if it had a pickup installed, there would be an endpin jack??

[/quote']

I think it's a true vintage so it would be supplied without electrics? I think he's just lifted a description of a J-185 EC from a website.

It's a real Gibson and not a fake. I've seen these without the crosses in the bridge wings. If you like the guitar make an offer and don't be afraid to make a low but fair offer. Guitars just aren't selling now so I bet you have a shot at getting this for $1600 or there abouts.

Am I missing something, I don't see anywhere in his ad that he say's it's a TV !

Thanks everyone for your quick input. For me the a natural J-185 without the maltese crosses just isn't a J-185 (more like a big J-50). Since this is supposed to be a truly vintage accurate model I'd expect the finer details to be spot on. Also, that absent dot on the logo is equally worrying. Although it may be legit I'm going to continue my search and give this one a miss.

Thanks' date=' can you elaborate please . . . what can you see that tells you it's not a TV?

[/quote']

The seller doesn't mention anywhere in his ad that it's a TV.

I know up at top in the Item Specifics section it says TV but I have to think that's a mistake.

Also and I may be wrong but I thought all the TV's had crosses in the bridge wings?

Archived