Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Autograph from Gibson

G McBride

I bought a guitar on ebay that has been autographed but they can not say who autographed the guitar.

How can I remove the autographs from a Joan Jett worn white Guitar without destroying the finish? I know that some of you have removed marks before and will have good advice.

Thanks

Gill

Usually it is done with magic marker. It uses Alcohol for a solvent. Rubbing alcohol should take it off... unless it will eat the finish. Test on a small inconspicuous are. There is a possibility the ink has leached into the finish and you'll have a ghost of the scribbling left. Won't know until you clean the surface off. Best of luck!

Alcohol may soften nitrocellulose. Try lighter fluid, gasoline, Mr Clean Stain remover, or Formula 409. I'd really be worried about smearing the marker. I'd find out who autographed it first. If it was Ted Nugent, I'd burn it out.

I may have to just make up a story to go with the autographs and leave it alone. I have not seen this in person only on the pictures posted. I should see it by the end of the week. Thanks for all of the advise so far.

Gill

Sir Paul McCarney had that same problem when Lennon, in a fit of Yoko induced madness, autographed his guit tar without permission. Sir Paul installed a Detroit Redwings sticker over the offending marks.

You're welcome.

[cool]

Archived