Gibson Brands Forums

Does this ever happen to any of you?

rockman82

So I tune down the high e string on my strat, you know for an open tuning chord, and the string breaks at the headstock. This has happened to me twice now.

Of course now i need a new set of strings for my strat, i also broke my d string a few minutes before LOL :-

The first string i broke was at the bridge, but the second (high e) broke at the tuner. I've always liked my strat( even though i'm not a fender guy) because of the single coil sound. I like that raw noisy sound of the neck pickup. Maybe i should buy one of those single coil humbucker shapped pickups from eastwoodguitars.

Strats are fine instruments. They shouldn't break strings unless you over tighten them or you tune them up and down a lot. If you do tune them a lot, start using bigger strings. Now for some Obvious Questions.

Is your trem floating, or do you have it tightened down like a hard tail?

Is it a real Fender or a Cheap Imitation?

Have you checked the Saddle and Nut for Burrs?

Strats are fine instruments. They shouldn't break strings unless you over tighten them or you tune them up and down a lot. If you do tune them a lot' date=' start using bigger strings. Now for some Obvious Questions.

Is your trem floating, or do you have it tightened down like a hard tail?

Is it a real Fender or a Cheap Imitation?

Have you checked the Saddle and Nut for Burrs?[/quote']

My trem's floating a little bit.

It's a Made in mexico strat, so it's no squier or cheap knock off. I know MIM's aren't exactly like the American, but mine's decent. Don't like the weight though.

I'll have to check next time i string the strat up.

My trem's floating a little bit.

It's a Made in mexico strat' date=' so it's no squier or cheap knock off. I know MIM's aren't exactly like the American, but mine's decent. Don't like the weight though.

I'll have to check next time i string the strat up. [/quote']

Put a little 3-in-1 oil on the saddles - since I started doing that on my strat it never breaks strings at the saddle - It doesn't even take a drop, just enough to reduce the friction a little. At the tuner they're probably slipping a little, try putting a little less bend in the string next time you restring it - sometimes they break from over flexing the string at the tuner.

Hmm. I don't think it's just a Fender thing because I use my Tele for an open d tuning which requires me to tune down the high e. I've only broken 2 strings in my whole guitar playing career. I think I just tuned it up way too high I don't remember.

I like my DR strings because I can't break them (among other reasons).

Also my bandmate uses a Mexican Strat in the same open d tuning all the time and never has any issues (other than how annoying it is to tune a Strat.

Archived