Gibson Brands Forums

Soloing

Californiaman

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Real solo's come form the heart not technical theory.[blush]

true but you have to know some theory to sing a solo through a chord progression. If you play the chords stated in the poll (E / B / C#m / A) in progression, it's in the key of E major anywhoo

true but you have to know some theory to sing a solo through a chord progression. If you play the chords stated in the poll (E / B / C#m / A) in progression' date=' it's in the key of E major anywhoo

[/quote']

Can we agree to disagree, I guess it really depends on who's playing.

But if you just stick in random notes' date=' it'll sound like ***. [/quote']

No one said anything about random notes. I think people just get a bit too caught up in theory their playing sounds good but not original, I don't think that's a problem with anyone here, I just feel "to learn we must first forget" that's a good quote from a good friend of mine.

Not most of the time' date=' you have no idea how many guitar players out there right great solos without thorey and chord progression.[/quote']

I know, but they know their way around the fretboard. They might not know every note, but they know what works well together. I do that, I don't script any solo, I just let it all flow

Not most of the time' date=' you have no idea how many guitar players out there right great solos without thorey and chord progression.[/quote']

that's where I disagree....

It's just that they're so good they can hear the scale or the phrasing before playing it. Most of your great guitar players know chord progressions, and know how to maneuver through them, as though it was easy as breathing.

As far as the original question goes.

Theory certainly applies.

When I first read the question this morning on another sight, I went with theory right away. I got the question right.

The correct answer...

will be posted later.

I like the way the discussion is going.

Theory vs. what... chaos?

that's where I disagree....

It's just that they're so good they can hear the scale or the phrasing before playing it. Most of your great guitar players know chord progressions' date=' and know how to maneuver through them, as though it was easy as breathing.[/quote']

Why are you right! [blush]

The heart can't speak if it doesn't know the language.

And C# would be the relative minor' date=' for the OT.[/quote']

Girls girls, you're both pretty.

But seriously, i agree with both of you partly....

You don't have to know the specific scale you are playing in order to craft a good solo. You need to know which notes sound right...

I'm not much of a soloist, but i wrote a solo a few weeks ago and i have no idea what scale i was using or what key i was in....i wrote it through trial and error and went with what sounded right to my ears.

So yes, theory would definitely help, but i don't think its required.

As far as the original question goes.

Theory certainly applies.

When I first read the question this morning on another sight' date=' I went with theory right away. I got the question right.

The correct answer...

will be posted later.

I like the way the discussion is going.

Theory vs. what... chaos?

[/quote']

How could you get it "right" if all music opinionated on whomever is listening?

The absence of theory is not the manifestation of chaos. Neither me nor DemOOn said anything about random notes. Just because we are not using "theory" does not make us any less of musicians. You think we really play random crap well You've got another thing coming, we do use "theory" in our music it is just not the same "theory" you use.

Girls girls' date=' you're both pretty.

But seriously, i agree with both of you partly....

You don't know to know the specific scale you are playing in order to craft a good solo. You need to know which frets will sound good...

I'm not much of a soloist, but i wrote a solo a few weeks ago and i have no idea what scale i was using or what key i was in....i wrote it through trial and error and went with what sounded right to my ears.

So yes, theory would definitely help, but i don't think its required. [/quote']

In the studio where you have many chances to re-take a performance, certainly theory is something that can be looked at as a secondary discipline. But just imagine if you had a good understanding of theory and the ability to write. You could lay down four different solos through the same chord progression, and all would carry a central theme that would fit in its on unique way..... Theory definitely gives more opportunities to a player IMO.

Well I would say if we're writing solos that fit the song, then theory is most certainly being used....the same theory too whether you know it or not.

And Duane, I do not disagree at all with what you just said up there....theory can always help you be more creative or try different things...

Remember that 14 week course at the Royal Conservatory of Music I was gonna sign up for? My wife signed me up today for my birthday....so yeah...maybe I will be a better soloist in a few months....it starts mid Sept....

[-(

Archived