Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul with F Holes what model is it?

Johnny Z

Can you help me identify the model of this Les Paul. Sorry I don't have a picture. I saw this guy playing a Black Epi LP with F Holes the other night, I thought it sounded real Jazzy. I looked on the Epi website and can't find one, strange or what? Does anyone know the model and any other facts about these, I think I'd like to find one. Are they still being made or was it a short run item or special order?

Thanks for any info you can supply.

Johnny

Can you help me identify the model of this Les Paul. Sorry I don't have a picture. I saw this guy playing a Black Epi LP with F Holes the other night' date=' I thought it sounded real Jazzy. I looked on the Epi website and can't find one, strange or what? Does anyone know the model and any other facts about these, I think I'd like to find one. Are they still being made or was it a short run item or special order?

Thanks for any info you can supply.

Johnny[/quote']

I believe they were called the Les Paul Elite (not to be confused with the Elite/Elitist line). I'm thinking they were discontinued around 1999. There fetching upwards to $750 in the used market.

Well there is one Epiphone like that for sale here:

http://exceptionalguitars.com/inventory/index.php?subcat=9

I've got one like this (http://exceptionalguitars.com/inventory/detail?sn=EPEL061020) today' date=' even the serial number F6100185 is close. Played only for a couple of hours yet and haven't tasted her in real action, but I just love this little black beauty :-) Sound it produce is less compressed than from solid-body LP and quite brightened by the semi-hollow construction. Couldn't hear distinct acoustic tones though. Not for a metalheads, IMHO, and suits any "old-school" genre from blues to hard 'n heavy.

One thing still bothers me a bit. Is she MIJ? According to Wikipedia she's made at FujiGen factory, and so tells me the quick googling for MIJ Epi Elitists -- the instruments found were mostly with serial numbers starting with "F". But the Guitar Dater Project says she was made at Korean "Fine Guitars" factory. Not that I really care about actual makers, but I'd like to make this clear.

• 1 year later...

Yep! I bought an Elite (left) back in 1997 approx. Excuse the mixed metals and knobs! I put 57 classics on and upgraded hardware. Great guitar though. Believe it or not the Epi is heavier than my new LP (right)! I find it odd that they don't have it anywhere on their website.

DSC03373.jpg

• 4 years later...

It would be the Limited Run Les Paul Custom Florentine.

Here's one in Violet Sparkle:

17473_Les_Paul_Florentine_Sparkle_Top_CS300759_1.jpg

If that's too "girly" for ya', here's another in Gold Sparkle:

18877_Les_Paul_Florentine_Gold_Sparkle_Top_CS300755_1.jpg

You can find them currently available for $4,357.00 at The Music Zoo under the Gibson Custom Shop category.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/category/1590/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Guitars/

...or you could buy three really good Epiphone guitars with cases! [cool]

Archived