Gibson Brands Forums

Slash Signature mystery solved

RotcanX

So it looks like they've postponed the Slash release date to coincide with the introduction of similar Gibson and Gibson CS models... now they're holding off until the 1st of April. Interesting day to pick. Note they are definitely going to be limited editions, so if you want one, start saving your shekels now... the Epi version is going to cost a cool $1,000 with taxes.

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1133

Isn't that $299 higher than the previous price? The MF pre-order was $699 on an RRP of $1,165.00. Now the street price will be around $1,000. Will those buyers who pre-ordered still get that price, or were the orders cancelled?

I'm holding out for the "Cousin It" from the Addams' family model...same guitar in white.

...and Al's your uncle

It's a nice guitar and really I have nothing against him, but I would take the TRC off and just put on a plain generic one. Im just not into the idea of someone elses name on my guitar. I am not buying one anyway, simply because I don't need it at the moment. All my tones are covered. Plus If I bought an LP again I would most probably want a Gibby.

Hmmm... I'm figuring the COA (if it's still included) won't add much to the tone. Might be time to take my favorite LP Standard and slap some A2Ps in it.

James' date=' no offense, but wouldn't it make more sense to change the pickups in you [i']least[/i] favorite? That way you hold what you got, and maybe get something better. And if it doesn't work, so what? Its already not your favorite...

=D>

It's a nice guitar and really I have nothing against him' date=' but I would take the TRC off and just put on a plain generic one. Im just not into the idea of someone elses name on my guitar. I am not buying one anyway, simply because I don't need it at the moment. All my tones are covered. Plus If I bought an LP again I would most probably want a Gibby.[/quote']

I am totally with you there. That personal signature model stuff just grates me. Even when I was a kid playing baseball I'd sand my baseball idol's, Carl Yastrzemski (probably before your time lol) ,name off my bat and put mine on with a Sharpie lol...

...and Al's your uncle.

I am totally with you there. That personal signature model stuff just grates me. Even when I was a kid playing baseball I'd sand my baseball idol's' date=' Carl Yastrzemski (probably before your time lol) ,name off my bat and put mine on with a Sharpie lol...

...and Al's your uncle.[/quote']

I had a triple crown embossed, signature Yaz lefty mit. I NEVER would have tried to erase the signature. You could get hung from the Green Monster for less.

I agree...as much as I dig john lennon' date=' I'd rather epiphone made the EJ-160E without his signature printed on

it...no problem with it being a signature model, but cooler to keep it low key...[/quote']

I thought the same thing myself when I first saw that guitar... I wished they'd put it on the back of the headstock or something, if they HAD to have his signature on it somewhere.. Or on the label inside the guitar.

The Yaz thing is another story... Every New England kid idolized Yaz when I was growing up... I had everything with his signature on it..

I had a triple crown embossed' date=' signature Yaz lefty mit. I NEVER would have tried to erase the signature. You could hung from the Green Monster for less.[/quote']

That would have been a Spalding model and I did own one or two Spaldings (I don't recall them being one of the "Triple Crown" models (I think a new one of those came out every year) though I do kind of remember the Triple Crown glove and it being a like a D'Angelico of ball gloves) but playing second base and shortstop I usually used a Rawlings Brooks Robinson Fast-back model (those outfielder gloves were huge-too big to use in the infield). I grew up near Detroit...the irony is, and yeah, this is even more- deserving to be hung from the Green Monster-I was a Yankees fan. But I was more a fan of individual players-Yaz and Tony C from Boston, Mantle and Tony Kubek from the Yankees on and on.. nearly every team had someone I admired on it. I played ball through High School and at about Amateur "C" ball we'd start ordering bats by the dozen because over the course of the season you'd go through quite a few and it was cheaper to buy in bulk-back when they were wood- Now Hillerich and Bradsby, then in Louisville-hence-Louisville Slugger lol, would create any profile you liked and imprint any name you wanted if you were willing to pay the set up fee which was like $100 plus about $50 a dozen for the bats (Louisville Slugger 125). In 1970 $100 was a bit beyond my being able to gratify my ego with my own name on a bat but since the bat weight and profile I liked was the same as the Yaz 125-S bat, I ordered the Yaz bats and "made them mine" with some sand paper and a Sharpie. I started out with 33" but ended up with using a 32' because as I progressed in levels the pitching got a *LOT* faster and I couldn't get around on it. Years later I coached high school ball and the kids at the varsity level had progreesed to where we were at "B" ball or higher level in my day-I had a seventeen year old 6'4" 195 lbs pitcher who had wicked breaking stuff and could pull out a 90+ mph fast ball pretty regularly and would average in the high 80's...with his talent and some development he could have actually have been a pro but he didn't have much "passion" about basebal-just something he kind of did for fun- so he went and got a business degree and joined his dad's business. Oh, well. By Amateur "B" ball I realized the futility of it all and my lack of baseball talent and ability and joined a rock band where I then should have learned the futility of it all and my lack of musical talent and ability...but I'm still in denial about *that*...

...and Al's your uncle

James' date=' no offense, but wouldn't it make more sense to change the pickups in you [i']least[/i] favorite? That way you hold what you got, and maybe get something better. And if it doesn't work, so what? Its already not your favorite...

O:)

:-k Sound advice there. Thanks for being the voice of reason. I need that when GAS is getting the better of me!

why is this thing so expensive again? (other than the fact people will undoubtedly pay it)

Well, it seems that as soon as Epiphone pops in a pair of real pickups, the price goes up like this. Basically the Slash Sig is showing at the same list price as the Zakk Wylde LPs, which also have aftermarket (EMG) pickups.

Now if you were to take a regular Epi LP Custom in Vintage Sunburst, and then pop in a pair of SD Alnico Pro IIs, you'd end up paying about $935 Cdn after taxes (assuming you install them yourself), so, for the additional 65 bucks you are getting a true "long tenon" neck with a special contour. Sounds reasonable to me.

The Slash is actually $130.00 more than the Zakk Wylde on retail price - $1464 vs $1332. Street price on the Zakk Wylde is $799. So street price on the Slash will likely be closer to $900.

I wonder if the initial $699 price was a mistake? The Slash has the long neck tenon, Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros ($108 bucks each) and Nickel (rather than chrome) hardware. That would seem to me to actually be more extensive, and more expensive, modifications than the Wylde. So I guess it does make sense that the Slash would cost more.

Archived