Gibson Brands Forums

Dot problem

bremer

I've had my Dot for about a week now and came across my first problem today (well the second problem, the "E" logo fell off the pickguard the first day but I don't care about that). Anyways, the output jack fell into the body of the Dot. As I was pulling the cable out of the guitar(gently, I never pull it hard. I take great care of my guitars) the nut and washer came off and then the jack fell into the body. How am I supposed to feed the jack back through the hole so I can screw on the nut and washer, or must I send it to get repaired?

You might try an auto shop type magnetic tool and see if you can't coax it back out. Otherwise, from what I understand, it is a PTA to do this - most people talk about taking off the pick up so you can get to the jack, putting some type of fish wire through it and feeding it back through the hole. It depends upon what you are comfortable with.

I'm sure better advise will follow....

Here's a link for a video about installing a new wiring harnass in a semi-hollow guitar, like yours. Basically, the removal and reinstallation will be what's needed, with the addition of getting string from the jack hole to the F hole. Not really a big deal, if you feel comfortable about doing it. There MAY be enough slack to get only the jack out through the F hole but I doubt it. Good luck!

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/video-335.asp

Heh... I had that happen to a guitar I was fixing once. Actually I ended up holding the guitar upside down over my head and carefully shaking it until I could see the jqck through the hole, then I just fished it out with a piece of wire hanger bent into a short "L". It's not that difficult, just takes a bit of patience.

Similar thing happened to my Dot. I should've seen it coming though. The nut on the factory jack barely caught a couple of threads and was prone to loosening. I popped the nut off and pushed the jack into the body just plugging in one day.

I used RotcanX's hold the guitar over head, shake it a bit and was able to get the jack back to where I could fish it out. There just weren't any threads left to put the nut back on.

I replaced the jack with a Switchcraft Extra Long jack. Plenty of thread past nut now and it clunks like a prison door when I plug into it now...not that I'd know what prison doors sound like from experience or anything...strictly basing it on the movies O:)

you can use locktite on a short screw shaft.. or you can use plumbers tape.. the white tape they use to prevent leaks..

then you don't have to replace.

the locktite will make it really hard to remove the nut later.. the plumbers tape far less so.. both work for me.

I wouldn't use loctite. Once upon a time I used it on a bicycle chain ring. The bolts kept loosening and it made all kinds of noise. Loctite to the rescue! When it came time to replace the chain ring, well, I ended up replacing the whole crank. Evil stuff!

You have some very fine advice above! This is another reason that I restring all of my guitars as soon as they get home! I recommend that you tighten down all the nuts on the guitar before you restring her. Just don't get it too tight and just use enough torque to make it snug. Most of the guitars I bought had nuts that were loose and needed a little bit of a twist before putting on new strings and giving it a setup.

Svet

A less extreme (and more easily reversible) step than LocTite is to put a drop of clear nail polish on the threads before tightening the nut. Then, should you ever need to remove the jack, a bit of nail polish remover dripped with a Q-tip into the threads will help loosen it if needed.

Archived