Gibson Brands Forums

odd project....

TWANG

I've been thinking about epis g 400 custom..

the one with the triple pickups and vibratone in white.

I'm considering this.. six lipstick tube pickups. gold of course. two in each slot..

I thought I'd use a custom guard instead of the three humbuck mounting rings..

with shorter rings on top..

switching is the thing here..

for instance..

two single coils in each position..

switchabe from single to dual coil.. series or parallel..

You know.. I think I may have chosen the wrong guitar..

I would need a lot more switches.. even using four push pulls, to take full advantage of the pickup combinations.

after all.. I could have three single coils. using the rear position.

and three using the front position.

then I could have switching for each one so that they are series parallel however I like..

then three humbucks also series parallel switched..

not to mention combinations of any of the above..

yeah. I need a guitar with a big control plate.. I think I'll scrap this idea instead of drilling the crap out of the body.

one thing for sure. that baby ought to have about every sound imaginable!

Now what would be REALLY cool is if you went the retro way and installed a switch for each individual coil... That way you can control everything, although it would be hard to change settings on the fly... But thats the only way I can see it working except for a rotary switch with like 3000 positions...

6 coils is a lot to set up push-pulls for, seeing as there are a LOT of different combinations you can do... think every combination of numbers you could ever do with the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6, as long as it is 1-6 numbers long...

AGH I have a headache now...

Here's my $.02....the whole vibe of a lipstick tube for me is the single coil tones and a reverse wound in the middle with 3 of 'em. The only place I'd put a double is the bridge and then it would be a maybe......so in essence what I'm saying is if you want to play with 3 lipstick tube tones....I'd recommend a strat type layout. BTW the lipsticktubes work very well with a p-90 or mean 90 in the bridge....good match!

It sounds like butchering a decent guitar for purely cosmetic reasons and providing very little payback other than cost' date=' time and patience.

=D> [/quote']

very little payback?

You lost me on that one.

First off, lipstick tube pups are unusual single coils..

having six single coils certainly would give you some payback considering the switching options.

I don't know what you mean by very little..

two different single coil set ups.

two different humbuck set ups..

series parallel for any and all?

it's a switch monster that ought to be able to produce about any sound a guitar can make.

doesn't see like very little to me.

as far as buthery goes.. you lost me on that one, too.

cosmetic reasons are the thing that holds me back.. I'd rather not drill holes in the top, the idea being to have the

guitar look almost indentical to the stock one.

Ever see Kevin Eubanks guitar on Leno?

I wonder if he feels he's getting very little payback?

TWANG

Here's my $.02....the whole vibe of a lipstick tube for me is the single coil tones and a reverse wound in the middle with 3 of 'em. The only place I'd put a double is the bridge and then it would be a maybe......so in essence what I'm saying is if you want to play with 3 lipstick tube tones....I'd recommend a strat type layout. BTW the lipsticktubes work very well with a p-90 or mean 90 in the bridge....good match!

You're thinking along the same lines as me.. though I'm still interested in six of them. *G*

I think I'll build a pine body for this and then experiment with different combinations.. since I have bunch of necks around to use.

TWANG

hey I said it was an odd project!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived