Gibson Brands Forums

did you hear

13yguitarman

Somebody on ebay sells low grade knock-offs of this guitar at ridiculous prices from time to time.

In fairness, the paint jobs aren't bad, but it looks like they use a Turser or other cheap SG clone as the starting point. Shame too, cause as I said, the painting actually looks half decent. If they did up a G400, I'd consider buying it.

nothing just wanted to know if you read about it

Yes, it was an entertaining story already when I first read about it - I must have been about thirteen at the time myself.

Don't take it personally if the old guys already know about what happened in the sixties and take things for granted...

Oh i already knew about the fool sg like 5 years ago when i started listening to cream stuff but just wanted to see if people still read the gibson web site. and just because your older means you know more about things than younger people my generation we can find whatever we want if we feel dedicated enough to it. even without the internet if we want to know we can most likely surpass any veteran of the time.

even without the internet if we want to know we can most likely surpass any veteran of the time.

Errr.. I strongly disagree. History isn't always recorded like it truly happened.

There's a difference between being there yourself or just reading and copy&pasting other peoples' thoughts about it.

For instance, since we're talking about Clapton and Cream, you'd have to have been at the Winterland to have a say about the recording dispute that I believe still remains. Or what do you think?

about eric claptons the fool sg

I reached up and touched it when it was on display at the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 (up close and in person it looks like a POS done at the local middle school's art class). Lennon's J-160E was there too but it was in a glass case. I haven't followed the story but I think Todd Rundgren still owns it.

...and Al's your uncle.

Errr.. I strongly disagree. History isn't always recorded like it truly happened.

There's a difference between being there yourself or just reading and copy&pasting other peoples' thoughts about it.

For instance' date=' since we're talking about Clapton and Cream, you'd have to have been at the Winterland to have a say about the recording dispute that I believe still remains. Or what do you think?

[/quote']

OK...I wasn't at the Winterland ...but I was at the Grande Ballroom on June 9. 1968...I'm not aware of a ''recording dispute''...unless it was perhaps the rumours and unsubstantiated allegations that there was post-production "enhancement" (over-dubbing) of the solo on a song about a certain intersection in Mississippi ??? (psssst there's always post-production clean up and re-tracking on live stuff) am I close to what you're talking about ?... I'm drawing a complete blank here...(senior moment ?? ) .Please enlighten me. I've seen EC perhaps more times than I've seen any other performer...he doesn't have to enhance anything...yeah, there were times when he was better than Ambien but there were just as many times I sat there and went "wow"...anyway, as they say....youth is wasted on the young.

...and Al's your uncle.

I've been to literally hundreds of shows at Bill's Winterland. First was Hendrix and the last was the one they made the movie about.

Well, good for you. Now, what do you know about this "recording dispute" ? Anything?

...and Al's your uncle.

I believe Vintage guitars (UK ) make a copy of the Fool sold through Ivor Mairants in the UK .the Vintage guitars are reasonable quality copys with some Trev Wilikinson developments on some models .The ones I have played in the upper price range have been fine guitars for the price and certainly as good as Epi or Squier or indeed Fender in some cases .They will certainly stand heavy gigging and do .

Yup, i read it ,

Damm i remember him playing that guitar ,nice to see that young ones

think that it`s a good looking guitar ...

Hey Biff,

You starting to feel old ?? Just kiddin ya .

I think were both about the same age,kids tell me i`m

older then dirt,funny ,but being in the fifties ,i guess to them :P

Ohhh' date=' darn. Did I speak out of turn?[/quote']

No, but I wasn't asking about your concert going I was asking about the "recording dispute".

...and that film was called "The Last Waltz"

...and Al's your uncle.

Poor guy was just asking if anyone read about it.

Can we try to drop the pointless boasting? Why don't you guys just add your crotch size to your avatar and end this willy measuring contest for good...

I say wisdom is wasted on the old and crotchety.

I'm not aware of a ''recording dispute''...unless it was perhaps the rumours and unsubstantiated allegations that there was post-production "enhancement" (over-dubbing) of the solo on a song about a certain intersection in Mississippi ???

That's what I was referring to ... :-

Maybe the word "dispute" was a bad choice though.

Still, people still seem to argue over it sometimes.

No' date=' but I wasn't asking about your concert going I was asking about the "recording dispute".

...and that film was called "The Last Waltz"[/quote']

I got that one..that is a classic! Who can forget The Band and some of their

unique "southern-bayou styled lyrics" ....'Up on Cripple Creek",

Take a load off Mary.....put the load right on me'. ..and

"The night they drove ole Dixie down", which Joan Baez turned into a hit during

the early seventies...

From Wiki...

"The Last Waltz was a concert by the Canadian-American rock group, The Band, held on Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 1976, at Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. Billed as a "farewell" performance after 16 years of touring,[1] the concert saw The Band joined by more than a dozen special guests, including Paul Butterfield, Eric Clapton, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Ronnie Hawkins, Dr. John, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Ringo Starr, Muddy Waters, Ronnie Wood and Neil Young."

Archived