Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LP Studio project redux

RotcanX

In our last episode we learned that the original veneer had been stripped off due to an overzealous application of the heat gun:

studiostripped.jpg

Well, I finally got the new veneers applied to the body and headstock (when you fix guitars for a living, yours are always the last ones you get to work on):

studiobody.jpg

studiohead4.jpg

Not sure about that headstock veneer but I'd swear it's a piece of AA holly.

Now for the 'wet work'...

RotCanX,

Looks more like poplar, holly most times tend to range in the almost white color. I was a carpenter for years and doing finish work I run across that green color in poplar alot...nice wood to work with, but almost always needs either a very dark stain or paint to cover up all the colors it can have in it. Not a bad tone wood, not that it matters that much on the head stock.

Looking great so far!

Capt.

In fact the headstock veneer is more gray than green, however I soaked it with methyl hydrate so that the grain would show up in these pix. I'll probably apply a black wash to it to darken it some more. For the body I'm thinking of some kind of blueburst, with the center almost natural, and the plan is to have clear blue plexi pickguard and cavity covers. I'm also thinking that this will be a great opportunity to check out a pair of GFS humbuckers.

Sounds great Spud. Were you planning to fade the blueburst out to a dar blu or black. Usually you see black, I've always wanted to do something faded to darker blue.

I be interested to hear what you think of the GFS. All I ever hear is that they're good but no real review. I'm considering them for my Sherry because I want a decent pu that I can add push pull pots or switches to the circuit for as taps for the humbuckers. If I remember correctly they are 4 lead.

Definitely dark blue. I need a fair amount of opacity at the end in order to cover the joints in the veneer (my pieces were just a tad too small) as well as the mystery mahogany sides. However I figure I can let the African mahogany veneer on the back show through so I probably won't make the back quite so dark.

Heh thanks WW. It's actually a bit funny. When I first started lusting after this forlorn basket case guitar as it gathered dust in the back room of our store, I was figuring on a quick and dirty repair, strip and refinish in a faded brown stain. Next thing you know it's got a re-worked headstock and a flametop veneer on it and we're thinking blueburst... these projects sometimes pick up a life of their own. :-

Archived