Gibson Brands Forums

whats up with that bass players.?

evol04gt

always wondered about bass players typically playing with the bass so high the strings are about where their nipples are...... its not like they are playing all on the high frets.... and how do you bend your wrist at that sideways 90 degree angle and not have it hurt like hell?

All bass players don't play the bass at the same level.

A couple that come to mind that have it as low as Slash, are DeeDee Ramone (not living), and Krist Novoselic (Nirvana). They both played with the bass down to their knees.

There is also Dusty Hill (ZZ Top), and many others.

I think you are way over generalizing.

Considering I play bass and guitar, and I have been around other bassists, I would say that the general consensus is that most of them keep their basses at around six-string guitar playing level or lower. Some bassists do what you say but I have never personally seen anyone do that non-jokingly.

So..what kind of rumors are the people on the bass forum spreading about us? 8-[

Well, I guess it's what's most "comfortable" for that individual.

Lennon used to wear his Rick 320 pretty high, and Gerry Marsden

(Gerry & The Pacemakers) Gretsch Tennessean (and later his 335) was almost under

his chin! LOL! So, it's not just "Bass" players, that I've seen do that...

Also, it seems the players who like their guitars (or bass) down really low,

have pretty long arms, or are "bent over" a lot, when they play. That never

looked very comfortable, to me...But, to each his/her own.

CB

I had to check some of our pics and the highest worn guitar in our band is worn by ....ah hmmm...the bass player.

On a birghter note, I really, really, like the way Tal Wilkenfeld wears her bass!

it just seems odd to me....i have always noticed it... its weird.. maybe because i started playing when i was 12 and the lower the guitar, the cooler you were..... ha haha

the height doesnt bother me really, its that cramped wrist thing... just looks like it hurts.

I had to check some of our pics and the highest worn guitar in our band is worn by ....ah hmmm...the bass player.

On a birghter note' date=' I really, really, like the way Tal Wilkenfeld wears her bass![/quote']

On youtube there are some vids of Jeff Beck playing with Tal at Crossroads 2007...some nice...erm bass shots...

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=zncqzITLA3o

Yeah....RIGHT! LOL! You mean' date=' she was playing, a Bass?!

Seriously, she's an awesome bass player....And, cute too!

Anyone that makes Jeff Beck, smile and shake his head, can't

be all bad!

[/quote']

That is not a waist cut my friend...

Seriously, she is awesome.. for a girl.. playing 6 years... I hate to be blunt, but unless we stop using different standards for woman they will never be equal.

On the other hand, I look at todays young guitar players and suddenly decide that the reason that the solo went away was that they couldn't solo with their axe touching their knees! Talk about wrist angle... There's no way I could feel comfortable playing with my wrist bent that way.

Centered over the belt buckle is comfortable for me.

And on the subject of women, they are the civilizing influence that caused MANkind to settle down and actually become productive members of society. Without them, we'd still be living in caves and killing our food with clubs.

I think the deal with playing bass above the waist might come from a lot of playing while sitting...and then just becomes comfortable at that point. I also find it odd when bass players hold their necks at a 45 degree angle while standing. Although, I must admit that when I'm sitting with my bass on my left leg and the neck at a 45-ish degree angle it is much more comfortable on my left hand and seems to give easier access to the frets. Standing, not so much.

As for playing down by the knees...my opinion is either freakishly long monkey arms or they are saying "look how cool I am". Maybe both.

And whats with all these girl bass players? Dont they know that the whole "bass is easier than guitar" thing is just a myth? And the fret distance...geez. Speaking from personal experience and smallish fingers, I played bass for many years and got hung up on so many hurdles that I just couldnt get past until I started playing guitar. Leaps and bounds. I've progressed more in the past year than in 10 years of playing bass (ok, more than 10, but admitting to the actual number of years is just plain embarassing). Nothing against female bass player or musicians. I just dont understand the trend, I guess.

The lowest bass on a player must have been the guy from Soundgarden. He would have to literally stoop over, bass inches from the ground. I think it looks cool when guitar players do it. Steve Clark of Def Leppard, Slash. Pete Townsend had his axe right under his chin in the early Who days, gradually lowering as time went by. Sid Vicious, but he didn't really play his bass at all!

It's whatever is comfortable for the individual.

Archived