Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone guitar headstock monogram...have you ever wondered?

PP_CS336

:-k I have two Epiphone electric guitars (Sheraton II NA and Les Paul Standard Plain-Top VS). I've noticed that the

Epiphone headstock monogram is different on the two different style guitars. The Epsilon on the former has a smaller line going through the middle, the "p" is open on the bottom instead of slightly on the top, the "h" connects to the

"o" on the bottom instead of on the top, the right side of the "n" doesn't come down like on the latter, and the

final "e" is connected from the bottom of the "n" instead of from the top.

I've noticed these differences on the Sheraton II and Joe Pass II vs the Les Pauls or SGs (not sure about the

other semi-hollow/hollow bodies vs the solid bodies). Does anybody know why Epiphone did not have a consisitency or does the seemingly different monogram only show up on the models that have the "Tree of Life" inlay on the

headstock? Was just wondering. Feedback on this would be appreciated. Thanks!O:)

You should post some pics...... I think that we'll find that there are many variances in the logo. My LP and DOT are completely different from each other and you can see that the logo on the LP is straight across instead of being slanted...........J

13Feb08006.jpg

Epiguts031.jpg

The Sheraton uses an original Epiphone logo. The one on the Les Pauls and G-400s is a 'Gibsonized' version' date=' I guess to reinforce the Gibson connection.[/quote']

RotcanX, Thanks! That's an interesting thing to know. You seem to know a lot about various guitar knowledge and their history. That's great! I've tried to keep up on stuff like that, but my employer (Mr. "Big Blue") sucks away a lot of my time and energy. What little I have left I try to use for practicing and playing guitar when I'm not involved in family or other matters, if you know what I mean. You work at a music shop of some kind, don't you? That must help in acquiring a lot of the knowledge you have about the various aspect of different guitars. As a salesman it's always good to know what you sell. Thanks again for a very informative answer.

You should post some pics...... I think that we'll find that there are many variances in the logo. My LP and DOT are completely different from each other and you can see that the logo on the LP is straight across instead of being slanted...........J

13Feb08006.jpg

Epiguts031.jpg

JEPI, that's interesting, too. Is your Les Paul an Elitist Model? Because I have a Les Paul Standard made at

the Qingdao, China factory in 2007 and even though it's logo is different than my Sheraton II (Saien, Korea 2005) it's slanted and not straight like on your Les Paul. Sorry I can't post pics...I don't own a digital camera from which I could download them, otherwise I would.O:)

No problem, Paul.

The straight across Epiphone logo was used by Samick up until the nineties; my '94 Samick-built LP had the straight logo too. When they started using other contractors such as Saein and Unsung they changed to an angled logo.

Mines slanted on it, and it appears to be inlayed, I've noticed some are decals. When I went to G.C. the other day, was lookin' at some of the Epiphones, and noticed some of the logos were kinda like the Elitist type, although I was told they were regular Epiphones, especially on the Semis. But they were all different, the left over Koreans they had were different from the Chinese ones, I think it depends on where they're made.

No problem' date=' Paul.

The straight across Epiphone logo was used by Samick up until the nineties; my '94 Samick-built LP had the straight logo too. When they started using other contractors such as Saein and Unsung they changed to an angled logo.[/quote']

Yup, my Standard has been determined to be Samick, (no S/Ns), but this is the first time anyone has clarified that the straight logo was SOP from Samick. Tx RotcanX..... It seems that Samick tried to get these 'close' to Gibbys with respect to the headstock style, the truss rod adjustment head and the long tenon. Also the Gibby LP neck dimensions are dead on for a "Fast 60's" neck style. (Matched up to a friend's Gibby '59 RI, there is no "DETECTABLE to the naked eye" difference in the 17 degree peghead but still haven't been able to do the suggested testing from Carverman to determine). Until I do that, 14 degree peghead works just fine and regardless its the best LP I've ever owned......J

Yup' date=' my Standard has been determined to be Samick, (no S/Ns), but this is the first time anyone has clarified that the straight logo was SOP from Samick. Tx RotcanX..... It seems that Samick tried to get these 'close' to Gibbys with respect to the headstock style, the truss rod adjustment head and the long tenon. Also the Gibby LP neck dimensions are dead on for a "Fast 60's" neck style. (Matched up to a friend's Gibby '59 RI, there is no "DETECTABLE to the naked eye" difference in the 17 degree peghead but still haven't been able to do the suggested testing from Carverman to determine). Until I do that, 14 degree peghead works just fine and regardless its the best LP I've ever owned......J[/quote']

Those Samick LPs were some of the nicest Epis I've ever seen.

But, an Epiphone logo, is an Epiphone logo...why they can't "Standardize" THAT, at least,

is beyond belief! Is it: "Oh, it's OK, they'll never know the difference," especially since it's JUST

an "Epiphone?!!" Come on "Epi!" It would save (them) a lot of time(money) and effort, if things

like that, were standardized. Maybe "specialty" models, could have a "script logo," or something,

like some Gibson's do, but why have different letter sizes, spacing, slants, and all the other things,

mentioned...when it's not necessary?

CB

:-k I have two Epiphone electric guitars (Sheraton II NA and Les Paul Standard Plain-Top VS). I've noticed that the

Epiphone headstock monogram is different on the two different style guitars. The Epsilon on the former has a smaller line going through the middle' date=' the "p" is open on the bottom instead of slightly on the top, the "h" connects to the

"o" on the bottom instead of on the top, the right side of the "n" doesn't come down like on the latter, and the

final "e" is connected from the bottom of the "n" instead of from the top.

I've noticed these differences on the Sheraton II and Joe Pass II vs the Les Pauls or SGs (not sure about the

other semi-hollow/hollow bodies vs the solid bodies). Does anybody know why Epiphone did not have a consisitency or does the seemingly different monogram only show up on the models that have the "Tree of Life" inlay on the

headstock? Was just wondering. Feedback on this would be appreciated. Thanks!8-[ [/quote']

The Sheraton and Joe Pass uses a logo similar (but slightly different) to the Kalamazoo logo. The Les Pauls use a post-Henry J GIbson era, modernized Epiphone logo.

...and Al's your uncle

"Logos:

o Script: most Epiphones of the pre-Gibson period have a script logo with a standard script "E". A few early models have block letter logos. Gibson continued using New York-made Epiphone necks, with laminated construction and script "E" logo, until all New York necks were used.

o Slashed "C": Epiphone's stylized "E", which looks like a "C" with a horizontal slash, appeared in 1939 in literature and on metal peghead plates.

o Models with inlaid or paint logos made the changeover to Gibson necks and the slashed "C" logo style circa 1961. On flat tops, the Gibson neck can be distinguished by a wider flare towards the top of the peghead. By the 1963 catalog, all solidbody guitars are pictured with the slashed "C" logo. "

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/epiphone.html#specs

• 2 weeks later...
Here it is Ant7629' date='....for review, on the headstock logo differences!

I guess I missed this thread, completely. There are some, with the

connecting line (between o-n) toward the bottom! So, live and learn

something, everyday. LOL!

CB[/quote']

Where is it?........J

LOL! Well, JEPI...I just resurrected this thread, to try and help Ant7629 with his "Dot"

logo question. There was a reference to this thread, in one of the answers,

in his "Fake Dot Paranoia" thread. So, I searched it out, to (hopefully) answer

some of his (and my) questions. I know...it's a bit confusing...

CB

Archived