Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Scratches

OhioSlashFan

I have a Epi. Les Paul Standard Plus that isn't even two month's old and after a get together this weekend i noticed pick scratches on my guitar that i'm not real happy with. ( if i knew how to put a pic. on the post i would ) It almost looks like someone took sandpaper and rubbed it over the guitar and looks dull in that area, the finish is gloss. Is there a way or can i buy a rubbing compound to try to put the shine back in it? I do have Dunlop formula #65 polishing cleaner and micro fiber clotch that i tried and didn't help.

you might also want to get used to it, because that is what happens to guitars...you can alter your picking

technique, but if you are the type that typically follows through to the body, those scratches will appear the

first time you play...that's why they invented pickguards...

you might also want to get used to it' date=' because that is what happens to guitars...you can alter your picking

technique, but if you are the type that typically follows through to the body, those scratches will appear the

first time you play...that's why they invented pickguards...[/quote'] The guitar was sent with a pickguard, iwas just wondering if there was something i could do until i get it put on.

Check out "The Guitar Insider" on ebay. I bought some of his guitar polish and it is phenomenal. It took out all of the fine scratches on my acoustic guitars that have a nitro laquer finish and from my Sheraton that has a poly finish. It made my ebony Les Paul look like new. I won't use anything else on my guitars.

I have Novus brand plastic polish that I use on scratches and it works very well. This is a polish that has different numeric grades of abrsiveness- I use # 2 and #1. I got it at my mom-n-pop guitar store

This is great stuff. I used to use it exclusively on the widsheilds of my Harleys. Not sure what the long term effect would be on a guitar though. Not good I would suspect !

"That's almost funny, i seriously doubt slash is gay."

it's just a ridiculous image, no implication was intended that slash is gay...sense of humor seems to be turned off, eh?

regardless of what polish you use, you will keep making scratches until you either install the PG or alter your techniques...

just a thought...

"That's almost funny' date=' i seriously doubt slash is gay."

it's just a ridiculous image, no implication was intended that slash is gay...sense of humor seems to be turned off, eh?

regardless of what polish you use, you will keep making scratches until you either install the PG or alter your techniques...

just a thought...[/quote'] Bad start to the morning, no offense to you. That's the whole thing, i didn't put the scratches on it, someone else did. As i stated i've had it less than two month's and this was done over the weekend. I'm definately getting the pickguard put on.

Y'know, for my playing typically the scratches in the pickguard area are more often from my fingernails on my strumming hand than the pick. My pick usually never hits the pickguard, but my nails are always flailing against 'em.

I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze # 9 professional Swirl Remover 2.0' date=' it works like a charm and its easy on the finish. And a jug should last a life time. Stan.[/quote']

me, too. doesn't hurt the poly one bit.. that stuff is thicker than you think by the way...

this takes a little elbow grease.. follow instructions.. you don't need a buffer, just do it by hand.

take your time and 90% of the scratches will disappear.

If you're picky about your finish, wax it.

it hides scratches itself, and protects while you're playing.

TWANG

If you don't get them all out, the pickguard will cover them up.

I see a lot of people playing guitar without a pickguard. I'm not one of them. I cannot control the pick well enough to keep it off the guitar so the PG does me a favor. If it gets scratched too much, I can replace it.

Notes

Archived