Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson or Epiphone SG

Sharwood73

Having heard both a faded SG and an epiphone G-400.

Go for the gibson.

ONLY for the tone.

Also, if you like the long-loved look of the guitars, the faded is nice too.

If you prefer a guitar which you'll mod to YOUR sound, rather than the Gibson SG sound(which the faded SG's stock pickups do beautifully"), go epiphone.

Glossy finish? Epi.

Better tuners? Epi

The faded gibsons seem to kind of the the red-headed stepchild of gibson for the time being, and there's really no reason for that, as far as going up in value? I'm skeptical.

the gibson goes up in value, solely cos gibson keeps increasing their prices of certain models by roughly 10% every 1.5yrs or so.

and from what i've seen...to sell it off at the same price u bought it for will take about 10yrs.

eg. a '97 SG standard was around $900 brand new then...which is pretty close to how much it would fetch right now.

now between a faded and a epi g-400...i will most probably take the faded...

but between the just announced joan jett signature melody maker and faded...come here joan jett ;)

I thought those fades came with duel 490's??????

They do in the regular worn brown and cherry models. There is a worn white model with a 3 490 pickup configuration, its pretty sweet.

Epiphone G-400 '66 = $299

Duncan SH-6 Distortion set (SH-2N/SH-6B) =$130

SwitchCraft Toggle =$15

Switchcraft Jack =$8

Dunlop Straplock system =$18

Strings+Set-up+=$40

For a little under $500 you can take a basic Epi SG and add balls and the more reliable switchcraft parts

and get the tone you want without going broke.

I own a G-400 I bought used for $250 with Epi hardshell case. it's cherry red and all stock, other than the Grover tuners I just installed on it.

The stock pups actually sound really good, based on the '57 Classic just a tad hotter. I've got a Samick made Epi LP standard (Ebony) that I bought gold Gibson '57 classics for, and the Epi copys sound fairly close. My flamed maple sunburst Epi LP Standard has the same pickups as the G400 supposedly, and sound good, but not even close to the Gibsons.

I really love the G400 since I changed the keys to Grovers, it stays in tune now and gets played more than my 3 Epi LP's at the moment ( my other LP is a '56 Gold Top). Every faded Gibson SG I tried at GC had really sloppy fret ends, very sharp, horrible setups subpar fret leveling... not worth the extra $300 IMO.Like stated before play as many as you can get your hands on... alot of SG's are neck heavy too(including mine) which can be a distraction on your first electric.. I ended up with a great playing and sounding G400 with a total investment of $290. (used guitar & case, Grover tuners) If you want a Gibson I'd save for a REAL one, not the faded... just my totally biased opinion... happy hunting!

Peace!

Kenny :)-~~~~

Beware the prophecys!!! They are decent guitars in their own right but they do not play or feel anything like regular SGs. Completely different necks and fretboards. I ordered a prophecy SG EX and had to return it.

I think it's a shame the Prophecies seem to cater to a hardrock/metal crowd with both the Dirty Fingers and EMG pickup choices. Epiphone missed the opportunity to make this guitar more appealling for the guys who like a contemporary twist to a classic guitardesign, while retaining vintage old school guitartone...

but then all SGs have the strap peg at the same position.

anyway' date=' i checked the specs of the neck and it is indeed flatter.

14" to the regular 12" radius.

it is also thinner than the gibson 60s slim taper neck...1mm shy of approaching ibanez territory.

[/quote']

yep, the strap peg was the least of my concerns. I just mentioned it because it bothered me since I came from playing a LP almost exclusively for the past 15 years. By itself it would not have been a dealbreaker.

As for the rest, as you can see for yourself from the specs, it's nothing like a normal SG.

I think it's a shame the Prophecies seem to cater to a hardrock/metal crowd with both the Dirty Fingers and EMG pickup choices. Epiphone missed the opportunity to make this guitar more appealling for the guys who like a contemporary twist to a classic guitardesign' date=' while retaining vintage old school guitartone... [/quote']

I agree. I think they really missed the mark. I was psyched when I saw them online. I was expecting basically a cool looking SG but that still played like an SG.

Instead I was sorely disappointed. I think they'll have a lot of returns from online sales from people that weren't able to try them out at a store first.

CooL! But...the "cynic" in me says it will sell for 5 times

what it should' date=' because of the "artist endorsement" etc.

I'd love to see a regular re-issure of that double cutaway

Melody Maker, though!

CB[/quote']

An uglier, less tonally balanced and half-heated recreation of a beginner-class guitar?

Didn't we already HAVE a $1600 LES PAUL JUNIOR?

Also, ebony fretboards, specially designed humbuckers?

Why not just use the SAME schematics for the pickups, SAME rosewood necks?

Talk about not caring about keeping it historical. AT ALL.

Bet they'll yank the regular melody maker meanwhile, too.

Leave us with teh dual pickup only.

at one point i really wanted the prophecy...then i found out they were all MIC...i dont really intend to pay that much for one...rather just get a used MIK G-400 and stick in EMGs.

in the end i went and got a G-1275 :)

the temptation to stick EMGs into the 6-string neck is still there...

CooL! But...the "cynic" in me says it will sell for 5 times

what it should' date=' because of the "artist endorsement" etc.

I'd love to see a regular re-issure of that double cutaway

Melody Maker, though!

CB[/quote']

I hear ya man. By the way, I am buying this!!!! Did you check out the specs Charlie? Burst Bucker 3 in the bridge, witch-hat tone and volume knobs, kill-switch positioned by the knobs, ebony fretboard, Grover mini-tuners, and a hard shell case! It's going to sell for around $600-$650. I'm in! I've never wanted a signature guitar, not to mention a chick's signature guitar, but what the hell. This thing is sweet!!! Will be the perfect #2 to my Standard!! I can't wait for this one.

I hear ya man. By the way' date=' I am buying this!!!! Did you check out the specs Charlie? Burst Bucker 3 in the bridge, witch-hat tone and volume knobs, kill-switch positioned by the knobs, ebony fretboard, Grover mini-tuners, and a hard shell case! It's going to sell for around $600-$650. I'm in! I've never wanted a signature guitar, not to mention a chick's signature guitar, but what the hell. This thing is sweet!!! Will be the perfect #2 to my Standard!! I can't wait for this one. [/quote']

No, I didn't see what the selling price was. I just (assumed...since it was an endorsement Gibson) that it would be

in the 1-2 Grand, price. LOL! (Hey, I SAID I was a "Cynic!") ;>)

If that 600 dollar range is the case, it's worth investigating, at least.

But, if they reissued it, in it's original form, 3-4 bills, tops!

CB

No' date=' I didn't see what the selling price was. I just (assumed...since it was an endorsement Gibson) that it would be

in the 1-2 Grand, price. LOL! (Hey, I SAID I was a "Cynic!") ;>)

If that 600 dollar range is the case, it's worth investigating, at least.

But, if they reissued it, in it's original form, 3-4 bills, tops!

CB[/quote']

Yeah, I know lol. But, I like how it has the upgraded pickup, the ebony board, the kill-switch, and the HSC. At that point it's only overpriced by $50-$100 LOL!! I gotta say though, I am buying this one, big time. I can allways return it if it doesn't stack up, but I think I'm going to like this one.

Dunno about the Prophecy SG; all I've managed to try so far is the Futura... and I'm sorry but the quality just isn't there. Hard to explain it but it just feels mediocre. Nothing about it made me go 'wow'... but the fret ends were pokey and the finish was bulgy... and all three controls were loose. Pop open the cavity to tighten 'em and yeesh... 'mini' pots. Not a great first impression.

As to SGs... I've had a couple of G-400s over the years (5 + 1) and none of 'em could hold a candle to my Gibson SG Classic; they just don't have that 'feel'. Good guitars for the money and the current EE crop is particularly fine but you still have to buy a Gibson if you want to know the SG experience:

SG7sm.jpg

(+ 1 refers to the white Dillion SG, most likely made by Unsung, maybe Saein... it is SUCH a G-400.

Gibson; Gibson; Gibson; Elitist; Epiphone; Epiphone; Dillion.

"Better tuners? Epi"

dunno about that' date=' especially considering someone mentioned the need to swap them out...the green keys that

came on my gibson are perfectly fine...[/quote']

Grovers are almost a standard upgrade on gibsons, they come stock on epis.

Other than historical mods (ala having a 1959 ES-335 accurate customized dot) gibson tuners show up only on gibson guitars, otherwise grovers are pretty much choice.

I rest my case.

guess they didn't come standard on this guy's G400:

"I really love the G400 since I changed the keys to Grovers, it stays in tune now

and gets played more than my 3 Epi LP's at the moment"

my point is my stock green keys are 100% perfect...the guitar stays in tune, the tuners are solid,

they look "correct", and they work fine...so why would I "upgrade" them? also, as rotcanx and others

have pointed out, there are "grovers' and there are "grovers"...also, I wouldn't look to the tuners as

really determining my guitar choice, as many times tuning issues come down to restringing technique

or nut issues...that said, I would get a G400, especially on with a maestro, but I would not part with my

"low end" gibson to do so...

Just for the record, there's no such thing as 'Gibson' tuners. Back in the day they used Kluson tuners, then they switched to either Schaller or Grover, depending on availability... now they pretty much use Grover almost exclusively. The vintage 'Kluson' style tuners are probably Gotohs these days.

I don't care to argue about 'em, I just play 'em, and if anyone thinks "Gibson SG" means the end all, be all, holy grail of guitars with horns....It ain't so. My G400 has retired quite a few LP's and SG's at our live, session, and studio gigs.

Like I said- you find the guitar that was made on the right day and you'll have a player.

I hear ya man. By the way' date=' I am buying this!!!! Did you check out the specs Charlie? Burst Bucker 3 in the bridge, witch-hat tone and volume knobs, kill-switch positioned by the knobs, ebony fretboard, Grover mini-tuners, and a hard shell case! It's going to sell for around $600-$650. I'm in! I've never wanted a signature guitar, not to mention a chick's signature guitar, but what the hell. This thing is sweet!!! Will be the perfect #2 to my Standard!! I can't wait for this one. [/quote']

Yeah that's what I thought too......I wouldn't shell out big bucks...but for $650 or so it's pretty cool. The finish will have the same level of detail as the faded SG's which is less than impressive....but hey I bet it's a decent player and thew Burst Bucker 3 is a great sounding PUP.

guess they didn't come standard on this guy's G400:

"I really love the G400 since I changed the keys to Grovers, it stays in tune now

and gets played more than my 3 Epi LP's at the moment"

my point is my stock green keys are 100% perfect...the guitar stays in tune, the tuners are solid,

they look "correct", and they work fine...so why would I "upgrade" them? also, as rotcanx and others

have pointed out, there are "grovers' and there are "grovers"...also, I wouldn't look to the tuners as

really determining my guitar choice, as many times tuning issues come down to restringing technique

or nut issues...that said, I would get a G400, especially on with a maestro, but I would not part with my

"low end" gibson to do so...

No the Grovers did not come stock on my G-400, it had the Epi branded Kluson style, very generic looking and feeling... they slipped constantly and when trying to retune tended to go too sharp or flat. They had the smaller holes with the top mount slide in bushing and the string posts were very wobbly ... I had to ream out the holes for the Grovers to fit, no big deal using a tapered hand reaming tool... took about 35 mins. tops to do the job and restring the guitar... I feel the sloppy fit of the stock keys, no nut or washer to secure keys to the headstock translates to less sustain, I did this same mod to two of my LP's as well... correct looking or not the green vintage stock Epi keys are garbage... and I've found the same is true with alot of the older Gibson Kluson style..

I swear by the Grovers.. all my guitars are always in tune when I pick them up, and that's what matters to me!

Peace!

Kenny 8-[-~~~~

Archived