Gibson Brands Forums

scammer alert---you decide if this is legit BEWARE

golden gaze

It seems to me that any time you're buying something online, a little common sense should prevail.

If I were in the market for a guitar in that price range, I think the burden would be on me to understand what it is I was looking at before I attempted to bid on it. Ask the appropriate questions and if you can't reach the seller, or his preferred contact seems odd to you then "NO SALE" and get on with your life.

I've bought high end guitars like the one in question from estate sales several times and without exception, ALL payments were via cashiers checks.

But in any case, if you shell out the money without asking sensible questions before you buy, then you deserve whatever you get. They coined the phrase "A fool and his money are soon parted" for a reason...

The thing now is price doesn't negate a scammer now. In fact' date=' some scammers put a high price so that it appears legit. [/quote']

Exactly why I say the burden is on the buyer to understand what it is he's after. If you're at a place in life where your playing warrants a guitar like this one, and you've got the cash for it, then you've probably done your homework and have more than a working knowlege of the guitar in question. I don't advocate scamming, but if you throw money at whatever catches your eye and you get burned, then I'm sorry to say, but it's your bad.

The thing now is price doesn't negate a scammer now. In fact' date=' some scammers put a high price so that it appears legit. [/quote']

You're reaching now and it's sad because it isn't about whether the auction is a scam but how you make it so that you come out as being correct which you of course are not in this instance. There's nothing wrong with the auction. What happened is you opened your mouth and you were wrong and now you sure hate to admit that so you're somehow trying to turn it around so that it the auction could be a scam. You should also realize that what you've done could also get you sued. Drawing attention to a possible scam is fine but you really need to have a lot more going on before you start throwing direct accusations like "Scammer Alert" out there. Next time have some concrete evidence before you go and post something so irresponsibly.

You're reaching now and it's sad because it isn't about whether the auction is a scam but how you make it so that you come out as being correct which you of course are not in this instance. There's nothing wrong with the auction. What happened is you opened your mouth and you were wrong and now you sure hate to admit that so you're somehow trying to turn it around so that it the auction could be a scam. You should also realize that what you've done could also get you sued. Drawing attention to a possible scam is fine but you really need to have a lot more going on before you start throwing direct accusations like "Scammer Alert" out there. Next time have some concrete evidence before you go and post something so irresponsibly.

There you go again. People have seen the same pics on craigslist, can you read? This is what brought up the alert. Others saw the pictures in other places, including craigslist. I can see golden gazes concern when he saw it, and thats's why he ponted it out-red flag. I think you just like to be right about everything, that's why your posts get personal, and frankly for your age you should be ashamed of yourself. When your argument doesnt stick enough---you press it rudely, attack and start your name calling. You bring up low comments from left field---an indication that the fuel in your argument is running low. Perhaps you should try to be nicer to people.......it will make you feel better about yourself.

post something so irresponsibly.

Like your comments directed at the entire population of China while defending the racist attitude by saying that you have have issues with their government?

Like your comments directed at the entire population of China while defending the racist attitude by saying that you have have issues with their government?

I've never made any racist statements directed toward the people of China or anyone else. I have without question made many statements against the government of China and its human rights policies and also against those who support that criminal regime.. which would be everyone who buys Chinese products...and I imagine that includes you. So, does calling me a racist in some stretch of logic validate your support of the worst human rights offender on the planet? When you buy Chinese products you support the systematic oppression and government-sponsored terrorism China employs against its own people as well as the people of Tibet. I find it amusing that you accuse me of making racist statements while being in economic support of such a government...Do you find it easy to make these moral compromises so that you may enjoy cheap Chinese goods without that bothersome social conscience nagging you? Just to humor me please point out a single racist statement I've ever made about any people. Pretty lame stretch on your part to justify your own morally questionable actions if you ask me.

There you go again. People have seen the same pics on craigslist' date=' can you read? This is what brought up the alert. Others saw the pictures in other places, including craigslist. I can see golden gazes concern when he saw it, and thats's why he ponted it out-red flag. I think you just like to be right about everything, that's why your posts get personal, and frankly for your age you should be ashamed of yourself. When your argument doesnt stick enough---you press it rudely, attack and start your name calling. You bring up low comments from left field---an indication that the fuel in your argument is running low. Perhaps you should try to be nicer to people.......it will make you feel better about yourself.[/quote']

Little Princess, what part of E Bay is E Bay and Craigslist is Craigslist don't you understand? How does someone using photos or descriptions from an E Bay auction to pull off a scam on Craigslist make the E Bay auction also a scam? ... Please, without referencing anything that may or may not have taken place on Craigslist point out a single indication in the E Bay auction which would suggest that the E Bay auction is questionable. I think it just bugs you that I am always right... The E Bay auction is completely legitimate...the Craigslist listing is probably a complete rip off but anyone with half a brain can sort out that you can't go on to a public forum and accuse someone of a scam without a shred of evidence just because someone lifted their photos (happened to me once) to pull off a scam elsewhere and you want to be the big shot...that's just blatantly irresponsible ...and then to try to defend such a stupid act is idiocy. Unless someone has some background knowledge about these things I think they'd be wise to stay in the shallow end of the pool and stick to what they're absolutely sure about.. As far as you go, Little Princess, I don't think you find me half as entertaining as I find you...

Little Princess' date=' what part of E Bay is E Bay and Craigslist is Craigslist don't you understand? How does someone using photos or descriptions from an E Bay auction to pull off a scam on Craigslist make the E Bay auction also a scam? ... Please, without referencing anything that may or may not have taken place on Craigslist point out a single indication in the E Bay auction which would suggest that the E Bay auction is questionable. I think it just bugs you that I am always right... The E Bay auction is completely legitimate...the Craigslist listing is probably a complete rip off but anyone with half a brain can sort out that you can't go on to a public forum and accuse someone of a scam without a shred of evidence just because someone lifted their photos (happened to me once) to pull off a scam elsewhere and you want to be the big shot...that's just blatantly irresponsible ...and then to try to defend such a stupid act is idiocy. Unless someone has some background knowledge about these things I think they'd be wise to stay in the shallow end of the pool and stick to what they're absolutely sure about.. As far as you go, Little Princess, I don't think you find me half as entertaining as I find you... [/quote']

Still angry huh? every post you make is an angry rant.blah blah blah. Still name calling, lol. Im touching the nerves again huh? Stop the hating you epiphone troll.

SERIOUSLY DUDE, You are a bitter old man behind a keyboard who has nothing better to do but slam people on forums for what they like or dislike. The original poster didnt mean any harm, and hasnt responded to you in the same rude manner. You need to transpose your negative energy into your playing........that may be the reason your a failed musician who is a hater, one who bashes artists like noel gallagher or any other artist that doesnt fit into your scheme of what music is supposed to be.

Still angry huh? every post you make is an angry rant.blah blah blah. Still name calling' date=' lol. Im touching the nerves again huh? Stop the hating you epiphone troll.

SERIOUSLY DUDE, You are a bitter old man behind a keyboard who has nothing better to do but slam people on forums for what they like or dislike. The original poster didnt mean any harm, and hasnt responded to you in the same rude manner. You need to transpose your negative energy into your playing........that may be the reason your a failed musician who is a hater, one who bashes artists like noel gallagher or any other artist that doesnt fit into your scheme of what music is supposed to be.

[/quote']

So what was it that you found in the E Bay auction to suggest that it was a scam?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that E Bay auction so maybe it's you that's in question here.... It's not unusual that guitars that sell for over three or four grand are paid for with an E-Check or a Cashiers check...for one thing PayPal (and credit card companies) can get expensive with their fees. The seller has very good feedback and the feedback is from selling similar items so please tell us what it is that you find so iffy that you want to play net cop? I can't say anything about the Craigslist listing but I can tell you from experience that Craigslist is far more risky than E Bay and it wouldn't surprise me that the Craigslist listing is the questionable one if even in any way related to the E Bay auction. I don't see anywhere that it says the seller doesn't want to be contacted and it's easily enough done by simply sending it through E Bay. It's very irresponsible to come on a public forum screaming " scam" when you have so little to back up your questions. You'd do well to just keep quiet unless you have proof positive (which in this case you do not) that there's a scam afoot. If you want to play net cop it'd be advisable to actually have some factual background knowledge before you go posting accusations.

I won't buy anything from an ebayer who will only take a cashier's check.

I won't buy anything from an ebayer who will only take a cashier's check.

Are you then willing to pay the 5% to 7% ($200+) extra it's going to cost to process a payment that large through PayPal or a credit card company on top of the E Bay costs? On a $400 guitar that isn't so bad but on $4000 and more guitars it can get costly. Where you have to be careful is accepting a cashiers check because there are a lot of counterfeit cashier's checks bouncing around out there...once you verify that the seller is legitimate (which you should do if it's even only $20) there shouldn't be a problem sending them a cashier's check..unless you need to use a credit card because you need to charge the purchase...which is really foolish (I have a 740 credit rating and the best interest rate I can get for a $10K line credit card is 12%)...you wanna pay 12% more on top of a $4K purchase?...now you understand why a seller wants a secure check ...hey, Paypal and credit cards are fine and I understand the feeling of security with that method but when you get into the higher end stuff that can be a deal breaker if the buyer is required to cover those fees or the item's price is increased in anticipation of those fees. For years Matt Umanov and Mandolin Brothers (and I think Buffalo Brothers also does it) have had two prices on their instruments..one for cash one for credit...and now even the gas stations are doing it..it can get costly to accept credit cards. Know your seller and there's no problem...or use an escrow service which again will involve additional fees...

The ebay scammers who don't want to leave their "customers" any recourse always insist on cashier's check or wiring them money. Just about the same as "put the money in a brown envelope and leave it at this telephone booth at midnight".

But I have to admit that I've never bought a $4,000 item on ebay. Hell, I don't even buy a $4,000 item new at a store!

When your argument doesnt stick enough---you press it rudely' date=' attack and start your name calling. You bring up low comments from left field---an indication that the fuel in your argument is running low. Perhaps you should try to be nicer to people.......it will make you feel better about yourself.[/quote']

Still angry huh? every post you make is an angry rant.blah blah blah. Still name calling' date=' lol. Im touching the nerves again huh? Stop the hating you epiphone troll.

[/quote']

Ok, in the first quote you say he is name calling.

In the second you say it AGAIN, and then you go on to call him an "Epiphone troll", "bitter old man", "failed musician", and "hater."

So you have absolutley NO leg to stand on.

And you have shown all the lack of logic that backs up your words and thoughts.

I have had issues with Al in the past. But he has done nothing wrong IMO.

And I've never seen him write anything racist before.

Ok' date=' in the first quote you say he is name calling.

In the second you say it AGAIN, and then you go on to call him an "Epiphone troll", "bitter old man", "failed musician", and "hater."

So you have absolutley NO leg to stand on.

And you have shown all the lack of logic that backs up your words and thoughts.

I have had issues with Al in the past. But he has done nothing wrong IMO.

And I've never seen him write anything racist before.[/quote']

you seem to back up the bully huh? where was your post when his vicious bullying started? Many of you remain silent and let this guy say or dog anyone on this forum. I was reacting to his vicious comments. If he fires off some blabbering rhetoric, Im going to call him out on it, its that simple/ It's funny you defend the schoolyard bully after hes launched his attacks on forum members. So it's obvious brad, your part of the problem......and yo have no legs to stand on.

:o :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

.......oh, sorry! not related?

Archived