Gibson Brands Forums

Goth studio lp now even gothier with Bigsby!

darkside08

Finally got a chance to install the Bigsby last night. I really needed daylight to get a good picture, black-on-flat black does not

photograph well with flash, but here are some prelims .

The whole Bigsby installation method is very imprecise. There is a lot of play in the hinge, in the alignment string, and

how the string wraps around the bar. I ended up eyeing most of it, but it's all good. I got this guitar off craigslist for

$100, I figure if there's a good one to screw up on, this is it. I must say, it's a very strange feeling to be drilling into the

top of a guitar.

About the tailpiece stud holes: I grew frustrated looking for plugs at motorcycle shops, and keeping in mind that I still

had the ground wire in one hole, I wanted to use metal. I found the perfect items at a hardware store. Socket set

screws they're called, they're basically threaded posts with a hex hole in the top. The 1/2 inch size screwed snugly into

the holes in the wood, and I have them just peeking over the surface of the guitar so they come into contact with the

plate of the Bigsby. They don't exactly "disappear" the holes, but add to the goth/industrial/frankenstein look of the guitar, and they connect the ground. All right by me.

Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement.8-[

bigsby1.jpg

bigsby2.jpg

Thanks! Right now I think the Bigsby looks so cool it's too distracting when I play. I just wanna look at it.

The stock p'ups are fine right now, at least until I get some more disposable income. Actually, I think they're kinda muddy. If I were to replace them, what do people recommend?

Thanks! Right now I think the Bigsby looks so cool it's too distracting when I play. I just wanna look at it.

The stock p'ups are fine right now' date=' at least until I get some more disposable income. Actually, I think they're kinda muddy. If I were to replace them, what do people recommend? [/quote']

If I had a goth, I'd put in EMG or blackouts, or maybe SD invaders...

It'd be powerful, for sure.

Also, I'd throw in 4 push/pulls for the jimmy page wiring on it.

That'd be cool.

That looks pretty good.. esp for a first time serious modification. congrats.

I like the studio goth models.. and adding the black bigsby just made it better.

You might still find at Ace hardware some small plastic plugs that you could modify to fit the hexagonal holes..

They have a bunch of sizes I know 'cause I just bought some for my epi vjr to spruce up the reversed head holes.

GFS get good reports in here all the time.. I push my Kent Armstrongs, but they are a little spendier.

I found my studios pups were also a tad dark on the low end and not quite enough bite in the highs.. now I'm happy with a

P90 neck and Vintage humbuck bridge.

way to go.. keep it up!

• 3 months later...

Me, too.

I should have my chrome bigs for the lp studio tomorrow.. day after.

I think I'll check hardware store for those plugs he used, but I'm figuring on making some caps out of guard material.

Will post pics.

meantime, had a pot go bad.

CTS at that!

dang thing just fried somehow.. makes no sense to me, but no tone difference at all unless it's all the way to the bottom.

all the others work fine. No problem using the soldering iron on it that I recall. Besides, that wouldn't make the pot ineffective through

the rest of the range.

Also, I switched the neck pup ring to a thin one, instead of medium, so I could get that hot p90 a little deeper and not look crappy all

sunk beneath the ring.

Looks good now. put a little pad under to keep the pup level, too.

I sure like the look of darksides.. will be interesting to see his pic with my sunburst .. !

TWANG

Archived