Gibson Brands Forums

Happy new SG day

JefferySmith

Well, can't speak for Jeff, but I have been eyeing these particular Japanese versions, for a long time, and

kept talking myself out of it, for financial reasons, mostly. But, there comes a time, when you have

to just GO FOR IT! And, since they seem to be getting fewer and futher between, I dicided NOW

was the time. LOL! I'm really looking forward to this guitar!

Jeff, how is the neck? And, how do the "Stock" pickups sound, if you've had a chance to "Crank it,"

that is...

CB

Well' date=' can't speak for Jeff, but I have been eyeing these particular Japanese versions, for a long time, and

kept talking myself out of it, for financial reasons, mostly. But, there comes a time, when you have

to just GO FOR IT! And, since they seem to be getting fewer and futher between, I dicided NOW

was the time. LOL! I'm really looking forward to this guitar!

Jeff, how is the neck? And, how do the "Stock" pickups sound, if you've had a chance to "Crank it,"

that is...

CB[/quote']

The stock pickups are very Gibson-like (if I can recall 40 years ago what they sounded like through my Fender Twin Reverb amp). The neck is slim in profile, not at all like the beefy 50's necks. Very much a 60's style neck.

Now, remember to get a Gator case for it like the one below. And you'll love the t-shirt neglegee it comes wrapped in within the gig bag.

p43627.jpg

Gator has several different levels of SG case. The one above is probably the cheapest one, at about $65.

The stock pickups are very Gibson-like (if I can recall 40 years ago what they sounded like through my Fender Twin Reverb amp). The neck is slim in profile' date=' not at all like the beefy 50's necks. Very much a 60's style neck.

Now, remember to get a Gator case for it like the one below. And you'll love the t-shirt neglegee it comes wrapped in within the gig bag.

[img']http://www.americanmusical.com/ProductImages/Large/p43627.jpg[/img]

Gator has several different levels of SG case. The one above is probably the cheapest one, at about $65.

SO, are they like current Gibson SG pickups, or like the '57's? Of course, if this is your first one, since '68,

you may not know what the new ones are like?? My old '68 was a bit "thinner" sounding that my

Les Paul, of the same year. I know they're like that, anyway...due to the construction differences, etc. But,

just curious...

CB

SO' date=' are they like current Gibson SG pickups, or like the '57's? Of course, if this is your first one, since '68,

you may not know what the new ones are like?? My old '68 was a bit "thinner" sounding that my

Les Paul, of the same year. I know they're like that, anyway...due to the construction differences, etc. But,

just curious...

CB

[/quote']

I haven't played an electric Gibson (except my resophonic Hound Dog) since the 1960's. I am comparing it with those. Since I have a different amp (and am not blasting the music in my garage), the comparison is pretty unofficial.

Of course you realize that no matter what Gibson says' date=' SG does NOT mean solid-body guitar. It stands for

Sooooo Good!

(and my Gibby SG is 6.5 lbs)

[/quote']

Try Soooooo GASssssy

Back when I started my hunt for my first Gibson (barely pubescent), the SG was the Les Paul model. When someone told me that Keith Richards' singlecut guitar was the real Les Paul, I thought he was nuts. Now, the world is Les Paul crazy, and I still prefer the SG. I'm not sure I'll ever pull out my Heritage "Les Paul" again.

H140CMBSFrontBody.jpg

And after reading the recent review of the Epiphone Prophecy SG, it is had not to get GAS on this HNGD!! Guitar World liked it.

I had a Gibson SG back in the 70's that looked exactly like that one. I've wished many times that I hadn't traded it for the Strat, but that's water under the bridge. It was a sweet playing guitar. I especially like the wider neck on the SG, since I have stubby fingers.

Nice guitar!!

Jeff, (or Spud, or anyone that knows)...is the neck joint, on your new SG pretty stable?

I.E. does the pitch of the strings change noticably, when playing? That was

one concern, I had...years ago, but I get conflicting reports, these days, as

to if that's still a problem, or not. Some say the '61 style neck/body joint is

more prone to those concerns, than the typical "production" SG Standard...???

So, maybe you or Spud can shed some light on this? I won't "hold you to it,"...LOL!,

But, it's just something I'm curious about, you know?

Saw some discussion, on the SG thread, on the Gibson Forum, but...there still seems to be mixed opinions...

Thanks,

CB

I'm surprised that nobody has been tempted by that fellow's Tokais. They are all but absent from the USA.

They would be very tempting, but I hate the necks on Tokais. I've played one SG, one Tele - not much I know but ...

Horrible. My friend's SG has a neck that feels so wide it's like a split telephone pole with almost no taper at all.

With that in mind (and the fact they are almost a bit overestimated around here), I won't even go near a Tokai these days.

There is another '61 SG Standard (Japan) exactly like Jeff and I got, on E-bay...right now,

from the same seller! Interesting! Looks like he's using the same photos, too!

He must be building them in his basement! LOL!

Good "by it now" price...if anyone else is interested!

CB

Jeff' date=' (or Spud, or anyone that knows)...is the neck joint, on your new SG pretty stable?

I.E. does the pitch of the strings change noticably, when playing? That was

one concern, I had...years ago, but I get conflicting reports, these days, as

to if that's still a problem, or not. Some say the '61 style neck/body joint is

more prone to those concerns, than the typical "production" SG Standard...???

So, maybe you or Spud can shed some light on this? I won't "hold you to it,"...LOL!,

But, it's just something I'm curious about, you know?

Saw some discussion, on the SG thread, on the Gibson Forum, but...there still seems to be mixed opinions...

Thanks,

CB[/quote']

I haven't noticed anything untoward re: the neck. No tuning or pitch problems here.

Archived