Gibson Brands Forums

what's the deal with this Gibson SG? (spud)

dubstar

That SG style guitar was always called an SG2 where I come from.

Norlin era confection...and for a short time they believed that would be the way the SG would be manufactured from then on.

Glad they didn't keep to it.

Angus played one in 1981...

ANG.jpg

That SG style guitar was always called an SG2 where I come from.

Norlin era confection...and for a short time they believed that would be the way the SG would be manufactured from then on.

Glad they didn't keep to it.

Angus played one in 1981...

You must come from Mars...The SG-2 was an early 70's model with a wrap around stop tail piece and the controls mounted on a plastic plate and screw-on Les Paul single cut shape pickguard...I know, I had one. Angus may have had one too but I think you're confusing the SG-2 with the model called the SG-62 made from 1985 (which Young did sort of endorse- "Fastest Neck In The World") until they changed the model name in 1986 to The" '62 Reissue" (which I currently have) and then to the "'61 Reissue" in the early 90's ('92?)

I think, but I'm not absolutely certain that the guitar the original poster is asking about was simply called "The SG" and was around in the early 90's but you know, I really don't recall the jack being side-mounted on that model but that doesn't mean anything because I really can't say much for certain about that particular model. The SG-2 and the SG-62, yes, know all about them. That particular model, no.

I did notice that they replaced the original machine heads on the CL SG with Grovers. It probably came with Kluson-style machines with screw-in grommets.

I went and did a little research and that knob/switch configuration (similar) was used in the early 80's and that was called the SG "Standard" but those had block inlays ...hmmmm....

A bit more research...it's legit...that model was called the "SG Standard" and was like that from 1986 until about 1992..

and it only took five edits lol...

Nelson

Archived