Gibson Brands Forums

2004 Epi Korea Zakk Les Paul vs. latest China made Zakk Les Paul

TexasFM3

Hello All,

I have searched and searched and have been unable to find any information on the comparisons between the "early" Korea made Epi Zakk models and the new china made Epi Zakk models.

I am simply amazed at the degradation of these models compared to my 2004 Korean Zakk model.

I went into Guitar Center the other day and played a 2008 Zakk and it was horrendous. First the instrument feels as though it weighed only 4 pounds. The Rosewood was so light in color that it looked fake. The frets were very messy, the binding was so misaligned that i do not see how it even got out of the factory. The in lays on the neck were very questionable. I could see these inlays falling out after a few months of solid gigging. The Grover tuners, if they are still Grover tuners, were not stamped Grover at all. I would find it hard to believe that these are Grovers as they simply did not hold tune too well. The housing was just a sleek casing that looked like Grovers, but who knows. The pots feel very shoddy and the volume swells were not possible as the sound would kick in and go off immediately around a 2 setting. The Chinese also seem to be using large fret wire in their necks, so this give the guitar a railroad track type feel.

By way of comparison, I have a 1988 Gibson Les Paul Standard that I use on stage and of course my 2004 Epi Zakk model that I use for practice. If I close my eyes, I simply cannot tell which I have in my hands. The sound of course is different, but just on weight and neck feel, fret wire feel, these two guitars are exact twins. Of course the binding of the neck would be a dead give away, as the Gibson has the binding over the edge of the fret wire, but playing the neck is exactly the feel of my Gibson. The weight is dead on and a solid 10 to 11 pounds. The rose wood is deep and dark in color and the inlays are very nice and clean. The use of medium fret wire is dead on exact with my Gibson and this gives it a feel of a "fretless wonder". The Grovers housing case is stamped GROVER and I do know that these hold tune very well. The binding is very nice and solid all around.

Am I the only one who has noticed such a shift in quality of these once sweet and beautiful guitars. I need the weight of the Les Paul for its sustain and squeal ability. The LES PAUL crunch thru my Mesa Dual Rec is a staple of our metal sound. Playing the Chinese version thru the Mesa Dual Rec there in Guitar Center just was weak and whiny. I put the guitar down and had to leave.

FM3

I don't have any of the newer Chinese Epiphones, but I didn't like what I got when I bought a Chinese-made Ibanez Artcore. Looked good from a distance, but the finish was sort of a translucent red that obscured all wood grain. As a result, the top looked like it was painted with fresh blood and then urethaned.

Ive not had experience with older epi's but my 2007 LP is from china an EE made one. I am very pleased with it. It has a very good finish overall and the sound is very nice. The only little niggle with it is where the fret inlays are they arent perfect shapes and you can see a very small amount of filler on some them. The inlays look good and the correct shape it mst of been where the fret board was very slightly oversized. Im talking less than 1mm at the very most.

One of the screws for the jack has popped out and wont tighten up but i might have overtightened it myself. Simple fix with a small piece of match stick. This happened to my mates gibson so think its easily done on wood.

The finish is honeyburst and is beautiful. there is about 4 pin sized dots of darker colour on the light honey colour (prob overspray) under the pick guard. I only noticed it the other week and ive had it 5 months!!!

The laquer is quite thick overall but feels nice to touch and the neck is very smooth to play.

My tuners have Grover stamped on them clearey and they work very well.

Overall i am very happy with the fit finish and feel of this guitar and love the way it plays. Lots better than my Kramer and my Yamaha pacifica and my Aria. Would say it doesnt feel as good as my friends gibson in the hand just seems all smoother and finely finished.

EE Guitars are great!

EE Guitars are great!

I totally agee. My 06 G400 is absolutley fantastic! It was built at the EE factory.

Those of you who keep saying that all the Korean made models are better are just wrong.

You can't generalize like that. I have a Korean made LP that is ok. Nothing that great.

J. Smith - How can you say you didn't like a Chinese made Ibanez, and somehow apply that to all guitars made in China. That is just idiotic. I know nothing about that Ibanez factory. But I do know that Epiphone owns, and runs the EE factory itself. You can't say ALL guitars built in China are ANYTHING! Because they are not all the same.

Have you ever even played several models made from the EE factory? Huh? Or are you basing this gereralization on that one experience with the Ibanez! I have, and I KNOW that the models from this factory are superior to many made in the past at other factories.

I totally agee. My 06 G400 is absolutley fantastic! It was built at the EE factory.

Those of you who keep saying that all the Korean made models are better are just wrong.

You can't generalize like that. I have a Korean made LP that is ok. Nothing that great.

J. Smith - How can you say you didn't like a Chinese made Ibanez' date=' and somehow apply that to all guitars made in China. That is just idiotic. I know nothing about that Ibanez factory. But I do know that Epiphone owns, and runs the EE factory itself. You can't say ALL guitars built in China are ANYTHING! Because they are not all the same.

Have you ever even played several models made from the EE factory? Huh? Or are you basing this gereralization on that one experience with the Ibanez! I have, and I KNOW that the models from this factory are superior to many made in the past at other factories.[/quote']

I think you are reading a lot into what I wrote that isn't there. I am just saying that the one inexpensive guitar I got from China was a disappointment. I didn't say or even imply that this means Epiphones from China are bad.

Take your meds, friend. You are hallucinating.

I think you are reading a lot into what I wrote that isn't there. I am just saying that the one inexpensive guitar I got from China was a disappointment. I didn't say or even imply that this means Epiphones from China are bad.

Take your meds' date=' friend. You are hallucinating.[/quote']

Thank you very much for the insult.

No, I have read your remarks for quite a few months now, and I have seen you over and over, talk about the fact that you won't buy any new Chinese guitars. This is not the first time. So don't try to pretend it is. And don't treat me like I am an idiot.

Instead of debating me with a real argument, you chose instead to insult me, more than once.

I think I've proved my point.

I don't take meds. And I don't hallucinate.

Thank you very much for the insult.

No' date=' I have read your remarks for quite a few months now, and I have seen you over and over, talk about the fact that you won't buy any new Chinese guitars. This is not the first time. So don't try to pretend it is. And don't treat me like I am an idiot.

Instead of debating me with a real argument, you chose instead to insult me, more than once.

I think I've proved my point.

I don't take meds. And I don't hallucinate.[/quote']

I think that I am allowed to buy whichever guitar I want regardless of where it was made. The non-Elitist Epiphones that I have bought have all been made in Korea. They have been high in quality, so that's why I chose them. Should I have checked with you first on this? If you find that my buying Korean-made guitars is insulting to you or China, that's too bad.

You seem to be one of the more caustic, short tempered chaps on this forum. I rarely insult someone who hasn't spat in my face first.

My two Chinese Epis are fine, and my earlier one feels slightly better, but as some of you have noted here, I guess there are a lot of variables between both guitars and factories where they're made. (Are all Chinese Epis made in the same factory now?)

This next point is made with a smile... I'm not directing this toward any particular individuals. This latest tif just reminded me of something I often notice, and this forum is like any other on the internet. It makes me laugh:

All day, all week at work, in public, I'm face to face with many people who have axes to grind, problems to solve. I even worked as a "door man" (ha ha) in a nasty old country/blues bar. But since getting on the internet, I have never seen so many people insulting each other over so little. People who are quick to feud on the internet do so because they are not in danger of having to actually do anything about it. The internet: Home of the Brave.

I have only rarely seen anyone get rude to someone else in public over trivial things, and these people are usually drunk or otherwise socially inept. But in the last several years that I have used forums on the internet, I've noticed how common it is for people to snap and ***** at each other. This sort of thing doesn't even happen in the Post Office, or at the Customer Service desk at Walmart (but no, I don't work there) ... or in bars! (Or in school yards!)

Funny how that works: Real life/face to face = polite. Internet? Many more insults thrown around. Of course, people who do this always claim that they act the same in person. Pity if it's true, but I doubt it.

Carry on! Sorry to get off topic.

I have a 2007 Zakk Wylde Epi Les Paul Bullseye and it is a truly amazingly GREAT guitar.

I was made in Korea........ which kinda surprised me cause I thought they didn't make 'em there by 2007.

It's pretty light ...... about 8.5 pounds or so. It plays like a DREAM!! And I like the stock EMG HZ pickups. I have no plans to change them out.

I've played 2 other Bullseye ZW EPI LPs and they both felt exactly the same as mine.

I didn't pay attention to their serial ## though.

My two Chinese Epis are fine' date=' and my earlier one feels slightly better, but as some of you have noted here, I guess there are a lot of variables between both guitars and factories where they're made. (Are all Chinese Epis made in the same factory now?)

This next point is made with a smile... I'm not directing this toward any particular individuals. This latest tif just reminded me of something I [i']often[/i] notice, and this forum is like any other on the internet. It makes me laugh:

All day, all week at work, in public, I'm face to face with many people who have axes to grind, problems to solve. I even worked as a "door man" (ha ha) in a nasty old country/blues bar. But since getting on the internet, I have never seen so many people insulting each other over so little. People who are quick to feud on the internet do so because they are not in danger of having to actually do anything about it. The internet: Home of the Brave.

I have only rarely seen anyone get rude to someone else in public over trivial things, and these people are usually drunk or otherwise socially inept. But in the last several years that I have used forums on the internet, I've noticed how common it is for people to snap and ***** at each other. This sort of thing doesn't even happen in the Post Office, or at the Customer Service desk at Walmart (but no, I don't work there) ... or in bars! (Or in school yards!)

Funny how that works: Real life/face to face = polite. Internet? Many more insults thrown around. Of course, people who do this always claim that they act the same in person. Pity if it's true, but I doubt it.

Yeah, and actually...compared to a lot of other forums, this one is remarkably well behaved....most of the time.

But, what you've mentioned, I think we've all noticed, all too often. It may be one more reason, those here choose

not to act that way, and to really TRY and help, or keep things "lite" in situations, where things start to go

"South." We're not perfect, but I've found the folks here, to be a lot more "civil" (but still with a good sense of humor)

than a lot of other forums. Just my 2-cent's worth, on the subject.

CB

My two Chinese Epis are fine' date=' and my earlier one feels slightly better, but as some of you have noted here, I guess there are a lot of variables between both guitars and factories where they're made. (Are all Chinese Epis made in the same factory now?)

This next point is made with a smile... I'm not directing this toward any particular individuals. This latest tif just reminded me of something I [i']often[/i] notice, and this forum is like any other on the internet. It makes me laugh:

It is a personal peeve of mine to have someone put words in my mouth, extrapolating something I have said to the point of it being moronic, and then say that I'm a moron for having said it. I'm perfectly capable of saying my own moronic things. I don't need an editor/interpreter to create stupid gaffes that I have supposedly said (if I wanted that, I would have gone into politics).

Part of the juvenile behavior that erupts on some of the forums is due to the presence of juveniles on them (hey, I was one of them too). And, as you said, this is the perfect medium to slander someone and not worry about getting punched in the mouth. I teach college 20 hours a week and have absorbed about as many personal attacks in 28 years as I get in one good week on a guitar or camera forum.

• 1 month later...

To the original Post, I have noticed the same thing recently. I bought my son the Epi ZW 3 years ago. Most of my Musician freinds were very impressed with the Overall Quality of the guitar. Epiphone Manufactured these originally in Korea. "I" SN. This last weekend I was happy to see that the local Guitar center in Austin had another one in staock and was already hooked up for demo. When I picked up the guitar I was completely surprised by the weight and the feel of the guitar. The Binding was terrible and the neck was one piece instead of the traditional LP 2 piece that adds strength and sustain. My son palyed it and immediately put it down. He honestly thought maybe GC accidently got taken on a trade in with a copy. I looked at the serial and saw The EE and realized that they were now being manufactured in the quingdao plant. It should be noted that I am not quick to dismiss Chinese Manufacture as inferior. But in this case, These guitars were being built like customs and were Really Well Made, Lots of attention to detail and absolutely no need for any adjustment out of the box. It appears now that they are in "Full Production" under standard quality control. I'm not hating on China, But there is a tremendous difference between the Saein plant in Korea and the Quingdao Plant in china.

W

I have one of each, My LP Studio was made in the EE factory and is very nice! I also have a Wildkat that was made at the U factory, also very nice! only thing wrong with the Wildkat is one very small place on the neck where the binding comes over onto the fret board and you have to want to find it. I have yet to find anything wrong with the LP..well other than they need to tighten the damn jack plug up more than finger tight...lol I plugged it in and the plug came unscrewed, 2 minutes later it was back in and playing fine.

I think if you look you will find as many from one factory as another that have thier fair share of lemons, it happens "shrug" I have seen some high dollar Gibsons that looked like they were put together by a 3 year old, same way with Fenders. Call it monday blues, or hung over, or a fight with the spouse...just gonna happen, even to the best of them.

Capt

Archived