Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Admin: Volute on Lifeson 355

alpine

Hey turkey.......why is it so important for you to know how this will affect others? This thread was created to raise concerns about the volute.......if you don't have any' date=' bug off. Quit coming in here and telling everyone that there is no issue, nor should anyone be upset.......it quite frankly doesn't concern you. All these people are trying to get answers from Gibson.....not a load of crap from you![/quote']

Cool your jets, Jasper.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Mr. Gabrsek,

I'm not sure how involved you want to get with this forum but I was wondering if you had a chance to see the new Alex Lifeson ES-355 and what your thoughts were about it, especially that darn volute and tremolo arm. Personally, I love the thing to death but reading any input that you may have would be a real treat. Do you have any thoughts on why the volute was placed where it was?

I recently bought a book about David Gilmour's black strat, oddly enough called, 'The Black Strat', and thought how a book about Alex's ES-355 came to be would've been nice. Just a thought.

It was the exact opposite last night. 76 on The Trees for sure and AL during the encore. I may be wrong because it's really hard to pinpoint fine details through binos' date=' especially with active stage lighting, but it sure looked like no volute to me on the AL. I'll try to confirm it. [/quote']

If it had the pickguard then it's the 76

No pickguard is the copy

The way to tell is by the Trussrod Cover. The original has Alex's name on it, the Prototype doesn't.

AL 028

==================================================================================

AL 028

1972 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty re-issue

1976 (maybe '74?) Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

(I've had both of them for over 30 years now)

2001 Fender Stratocaster

Washburn D10S-N

Marshall MG50DFX (used to have a 100 watt Marshall SLP stack, with the 1960AX cabinets back in the '70s. Funny how your priorities change however as you get older).

If it had the pickguard then it's the 76

No pickguard is the copy

The way to tell is by the Trussrod Cover. The original has Alex's name on it, the Prototype doesn't.

Then I had it backwards. Oops!

Y'know, I've been playing my AL for several hours over the last week and it really is a great instrument. Volute issue aside, there is one other major problem. It won't let me play anything other than Rush songs. You can get a decent Trower tone out of the Varitone, but you can't finish an entire song, just a few riffs, then it's back to By-Tor or Farewell to Kings. It was on a Natural Science kick last night. It think it may be possessed.

Not necessarily truthoffiction, I think he may mix it up? Also, when I've seen the Prototype, its had the Pickguard on it. Nice collection there by the way. Where do you keep it all!!!!?

Regards,

AL 028

AL 028

2001 Fender Stratocaster

Washburn D10S-N

Marshall MG50DFX (used to have a 100 watt Marshall SLP stack, with the 1960AX cabinets back in the '70s. Funny how your priorities change however as you get older).

my opinion hasn't changed since posting this last week:

no, but to expand upon this a little bit...

the prevailing response of everyone here and in Memphis that i have talked to about this over the last several weeks has been "we are building the guitar to a set of specs that Alex approved."

My feeling is that, at this point, that's all the response i'm going to get.

Sorry i wasn't able to get any further info for you.

no' date=' but to expand upon this a little bit...

the prevailing response of everyone here and in Memphis that i have talked to about this over the last several weeks has been "we are building the guitar to a set of specs that Alex approved."

Sorry i wasn't able to get any further info for you. [/i']

Sorry Admin, but thats rubbish...........

You've done a great job trying to help us all out but why is it that a $4000 isn't perfect. Not one person as said theirs is perfect, this is Custom Shop, not mass production.

Even Freddy who rebuilt the guitar you based this on says its wrong.

I'm sure no one will send their guitar back for a retro fit neck or even a refund for that matter but just give everyone an honest answer because Gibson are really taking the p*!s with this one.

There's a guy on the original thread "Tez" just received his in London and the thing doesn't even work and he's comment on the quality fit the bill..........

Your (Gibson) having a laugh............

no' date=' but to expand upon this a little bit...

Sorry i wasn't able to get any further info for you. [/i']

Well, that is not good enough. Gibson needs to make an official statement at the very least. I know some dealers that are not ordering any more of these (not that you care) but they are getting wind. The dealers don't want to be stuck with models that might not sell because of the bad build on these guitars.

if you want an answer other than the ones i've given, you need to pursue them through different avenues than this forum. here are some possible avenues:

1) your dealer

2) Gibson Customer Service 1-800-4gibson, or service@gibson.com

3) again, here is a link to a company directory. you can use this to go up the ladder:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Support/GibsonCorporateDirectory/

i'm sorry some of you are dissatisfied with the guitar, and with Gibson's response to your questions. Unfortunately, i have done as much as i can do on this issue.

I might stop by and take the Memphis facility tour next week. I'll going to be down there all week. I'll see if anybody will say anything.

I'll tell you what they'll say right now, Crappy:

"we are building the guitar to a set of specs that Alex approved."

I'll tell you what they'll say right now' date=' Crappy:

"we are building the guitar to a set of specs that Alex approved."

[/quote']

I'm just going to take the tour, something to do when I'm down there. Hey I'll ask and what ever they tell me so be it.

If I was going down there to break their balls about it, I would bring the AL with me.

I'm just going to take the tour' date=' something to do when I'm down there. Hey I'll ask and what ever they tell me so be it.

If I was going down there to break their balls about it, I would bring the AL with me.[/quote']

Hold the Big Al proudly high in hand.....

Information for all, AL 278 up on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GIBSON-ALEX-LIFESON-ES-355-SEMI-HOLLOW-BODY_W0QQitemZ150276169541QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AL 028

================================================================================

AL 028

2001 Fender Stratocaster

Washburn D10S-N

• 4 weeks later...
Well' date='

Here's your proof:

Elliot Easton's 74 or 75 ES 355 and Crappy's Lifeson. Just looking at it you can see the design of the Lifeson is not conducive to a nice comfortable neck.

[img']http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/RareFormMusic/DSC00186comp.jpg[/img]

DSC00186compred.jpg

This has to be the biggest screw up Gibson has ever done. And, it had to happen on the one guitar I always wished they'd make. That just sucks!

Which is the right spot for the Volute ? =P~

Archived