Gibson Brands Forums

will my guitar be even stronger after....

nugi

a crack has been fixed. it would of cost 170 pound if it wasnt a family friend who mended it. it was a small crack at the top of the guitar, but its took a week to fix with special care . heated room to let the glue fix, proper shaft made to keep it in place and everything. will it be even stronger then it once was ? someone said that it would be, just curious

thanx man, it isnt regular glue, its professional glue. the man who did it is the owner (or joined owner) of kroska sharpe guitars. and those guitars are fantastic. =D> haha it actually plays much better, im grateful for someone like that to spend his time on helping me out.

the newest glues are really incredibly strong. If you glued a solid body together then smacked it will a sledge. the wood would break, but

very very unlikely at the glue seam.

I'd bet yours is definately stronger.

and good luck and congrats on keeping one going instead of selling it off..

TWANG

a crack has been fixed. it would of cost 170 pound if it wasnt a family friend who mended it. it was a small crack at the top of the guitar' date=' but its took a week to fix with special care . heated room to let the glue fix, proper shaft made to keep it in place and everything. will it be even stronger then it once was ? someone said that it would be, just curious [/quote']

nugi, welcome to the forum. As one guy already answered, it depends on how it was done; but if the repair is done

right, the answer's a resounding yes! I once had a Gibson ES-335 that a friend of mines baby daughter accidently

knocked off my guitar stand. Snapped the headstock right off. #-o The guy I took it to to repair it used to actually work for Gibson at one time. He not only re-glued it, but put these metal rods in there to hold the joint better. Well,

it was definately stronger than the original was. I'd tend to say that part of the guitar would stay together better

than the rest. Not only was the joint stronger, but the guitar actually sustained better than it originally did (probably

due to the metal rods and the extra weight). Unfortunately, due to other circumstances, I no longer have that guitar

and since I didn't have $2,000-3,000.00 for a new one when I was in the market for a semi-hollow guitar, I bought

an Epiphone Sheraton II when that time came around and have been very pleased with the quality and playability

of the guitar that costed me $529.00 brand new in 2006 (I think they run a little more now). Mine was made in Korea and let me tell you it is a great guitar for the money. I'm as happy with it as I once was with my Gibson.

Gary Rossington's '59 Les Paul is in the R&R Hall of Fame after finishing a career with a broken neck. The story is that a cleaning lady knocked over the guitar in the studio and broke the headstock off the guitar during the making of Street Survivors. They glued it back on and he played it constantly until it was put into the Hall of Fame, where it is today.

Properly applied wood glues are good, especially if you drill and install a dowel during the process. I've tried breaking finger-jointed wood molding and it always breaks somewhere else other than the glued joint.

Gary Rossington's '59 Les Paul is in the R&R Hall of Fame after finishing a career with a broken neck.

Michael Schenker's main Flying V's headstock broke 3 times. Every time it was repaired(last time using 3 popsicle sticks) Michael claimed it was sounding better than before...

Gary Rossington's '59 Les Paul is in the R&R Hall of Fame after finishing a career with a broken neck. The story is that a cleaning lady knocked over the guitar in the studio and broke the headstock off the guitar during the making of Street Survivors. They glued it back on and he played it constantly until it was put into the Hall of Fame' date=' where it is today.

Properly applied wood glues are good, especially if you drill and install a dowel during the process. I've tried breaking finger-jointed wood molding and it always breaks somewhere else other than the glued joint.[/quote']

Without a doubt the fixed area will be stronger assuming it was done correctly.

Whatever happened to the cleaning lady?

Without a doubt the fixed area will be stronger assuming it was done correctly.

Whatever happened to the cleaning lady?

According to the story, Gary left the studio, sick with grief, and wandered around downtown until the producer drove around and found him. They went somewhere, had a beer and talked it out. The producer got him to agree to come back to the studio the next morning. When he walked in, the guitar was sitting on the stand, repaired by some of the studio guys. He picked it up and played it and decided that it was good as new. I guess the cleaning lady was forgiven. There was no other info about her. I'm sure she felt as sick as Gary did.

According to the story' date=' Gary left the studio, sick with grief, and wandered around downtown until the producer drove around and found him. They went somewhere, had a beer and talked it out. The producer got him to agree to come back to the studio the next morning. When he walked in, the guitar was sitting on the stand, repaired by some of the studio guys. He picked it up and played it and decided that it was good as new. I guess the cleaning lady was forgiven. There was no other info about her. I'm sure she felt as sick as Gary did.[/quote']

I doubt he used it the next day, it takes a few days for glue to set properly. Both guitars I have reapaired sat with the clamps on for 5 days. The first time I did it, I re-strung it after 2 days as it felt solid, only to find the crack opened up again.

Archived