Gibson Brands Forums

The Full Moon.

Hoss

I'm figuring that's what might be going around on this board. And at work. All the loonies always pop up at work during a full moonl!! It's gotten so that we just laugh it off at the office, and sorta anticipate the the craziness as a little break from the real world.

Out of curiosity, are there any other forums you visit where the tone is consistently "congenial"? (as opposed to say, periodically "contentious"?)

I'm figuring that's what might be going around on this board. And at work. All the loonies always pop up at work during a full moon' date=' and evidently trolls do as well!! It's gotten so that we just laugh it off at the office, and sorta anticipate the the craziness as a little break from the real world.

Out of curiosity, are there any other forums you visit where the tone is consistently "congenial"? (as opposed to say, periodically "contentious"?)[/quote']

So good you had to say it twice Hoss

and the fourm kicked me out hwen I tried to post this

Forum Error

There has been a serious error loading the forum. No futher information is available.

Please contact the administrator if this message persists.

Try Again

Hoss, in the big picture, this is one of the more mellow forums. I've found that some topics in this forum... well, you're beat before you start. Some topics just poke the sleeping bear in some of us, blind allegiance to Gibson being one of them. And we're all eight feet tall and bulletproof when we're hiding behind a keyboard. It's difficult for us (sometimes) to type as if we were face to face with the people on the board.

I frequent the Gretsch board, no idea why, as my Gretsch is a pariah 1977 made in Arkansas. I'm about as welcome there as if I showed up at the Homecoming toting a 1976 Gibson Mark 35 stamped "second". Those folks on that board are some of the more elitist type and some of them are ready to fight at the drop of a hat. If you play rockabilly on a 2008 Gretsch made in Japan then you're golden. Or if you have a '56 6120 that Chet himself sneezed on that sits in a glass case next to your row of pink Cadillacs at your multi million dollar home in Aspen, you're golden as well. Anything in the middle, then you're three day old green salad and will be treated as such.

I hope we never do that here. It's bad enough we get pissy sometimes, no need to be elitist too.

KS- only eight feet tall?!?!

This is actually a pretty easy going place- that's why the recent flareups seem so unusual.

I've stopped participating regularly on several other guitar forums- it seems harder and harder to not offend someone, and many threads quickly take on an 'edge' that's uncomfortable. I check in on a bluegrass forum every now and then-- always friendly and no attitude. But that's about it!

i just noticed the thread about QC has disappeared.

Been a strange afternoon (or whatver it is over there) When Hoss posted this thread it appeared twice, hence my earlier comment and there's anothe duplicate thread Weak dollar effect on international sales of Gibsons

Still it all adds to the congeniality of this place , which for my two penneth is a delight, good advice is available, oppourtunity to banter and the occaisional scrap.

All we need is a spell checker and I for one will be howling at the moon

John

This is just about the only forum I have time for. The overall civility here is a standout compared to the nastiness at the UMGF. Those folks are just WAY too serious, arguing at white heat about hide glue and Adi Mad Rose combinations among other life and death topics.

I am disappointed that the long QA thread here disappeared. Maybe it got so negative the mods pulled it. Or Gibson felt their money shouldn't be going toward dissing the product, which I understand.

This is a good forum.

This is just about the only forum I have time for. The overall civility here is a standout compared to the nastiness at the UMGF. Those folks are just WAY too serious' date=' arguing at white heat about hide glue and Adi Mad Rose combinations among other life and death topics.

[/quote']

I must be reading a different part of UMGF than you are, as the sections I tend to read I have generally found it to be pretty grown-up discussion of all sorts of guitars. I've learned a lot more about vintage Gibsons there than I have here. And, I don't particularly think of UMGF as being 'nasty'.

The trivial pursuit you describe is more how I would characterize the 13th Fret of a few years back, with the typical koa/bloodwood and carpathian spruce with discussions.

It's all a matter of degrees and perspective, I guess.

Fred

(humour for our friends across the pond!)

rob

John imediately latching on to a congenial concession from Rob!

But that's the point isn't it

The fact that you can get the info/help and have a laugh.

I strolled into the LP section the other day ( well I am qualified) and there seemed to be an re-enacation of "the stoning of St Stephen" some poor kid was getting pilloried over his opnion.

What I like about this room is that if one spouts

"A Cornucopia of Crap" (<<<<<I came out with that whilst stoned 10 years ago and still love it)

Then you are greeted with silence

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

And that'll be the end of this thread then!

Keep smiling

..... career in humor (humour for our friends across the pond!) writing. ..........

rob

and north of the 49th! (though, i live south of detroit. how is that possible?????? canada. south of the US?)

actually it makes us, here in windsor, laugh when we hear the journey song 'dont stop believing'. it refers to a boy 'born and raised in south detroit'. downtown detroit is on the river and south of that is canada. so, little did he know, steve perry is singing about us.

Isn't that J. Geils?

ABBA Lyrics -- I Do I DO I Do I Do

Love me or leave me, make your choice but believe me

I love you

I do, I do, I do, I do, I do

I cant conceal it, dont you see, cant you feel it?

Dont you too?

I do, I do, I do, I do, I do

Archived